Fusion

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

• 1.  Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

Posted Nov 14, 2009 07:15 PM

I'm running Fusion 3 on a MacBook Pro, early 2008, snow leopard, with 4GB RAM. I have 2GB assigned to a VM with Windows 7. I spent quite a few hours doing a clean install of Win 7 and getting everything working satisfactorily (the Internet connection was a particular headache). There's one problem, however, I haven't been able to resolve ...

There's an excellent DTP application, Ovation Pro for Windows, which I recommend to anyone looking for a low-cost alternative to Quark Express/Pagemaker/InDesign. When the mouse is dragged across the Windows 7 desktop, as soon as the pointer reaches an OvationPro document window it changes to the I-shaped text caret (as expected) but the drag speed also SLOWS dramatically (i.e. within the document window drag speed is very sluggish, compared to elsewhere on the desktop). This does not appear to happen with any other application I use (e.g. MSWORD, Acrobat, IE8). I've found two circumstances in which it doesn't happen -- 1) it does not happen in UNITY view (only is switched OFF.

Is this a Fusion 3, Windows 7, or Ovation Pro problem? I should add that OvationPro works fine in XP (with Fusion 2) and I know someone who uses a standalone Windows 7 PC who doesn't experience the mouse drag problem with OvationPro.

If anyone feels like investigating the problem, then a fully-functional demo version of OvationPro can be downloaded from: http://www.davidpilling.info/cd/main.html (double-click the first link on the page)

This is a perfectly safe download, and occupies less than 1.5 MB of disk space.

• 2.  RE: Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

Posted Dec 31, 2009 09:38 AM

MacBookPro4,1 (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz), Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)

Windows 7 x64, Fusion 3.0.1 Apple wireless MightyMouse

UPDATE ... Does the problem lie with Fusion 3, Windows 7, or Ovation Pro ?

On further investigation, I've reached the conclusion that the culprit is FUSION 3. The problem could not be replicated in Windows 7 x32 running in a Fusion 2 VM. So, I migrated the Windows 7 VM to the latest version of Parallels Desktop ... no mouse problem there either.

So, VMware -- Fusion 3 (like some earlier versions) has mouse issues that need to be resolved!!!

• 3.  RE: Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

Posted Dec 31, 2009 04:26 PM

MacBookPro4,1 (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz), Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)

Windows 7 x64, Fusion 3.0.1 Apple wireless MightyMouse

UPDATE ... Does the problem lie with Fusion 3, Windows 7, or Ovation Pro ?

On further investigation, I've reached the conclusion that the culprit is FUSION 3. The problem could not be replicated in Windows 7 x32 running in a Fusion 2 VM. So, I migrated the Windows 7 VM to the latest version of Parallels Desktop ... no mouse problem there either.

How did you reach this conclusion? Since your Fusion 3 machine is x64 and your Fusion 2 machine was x86 (there no such thing as x32).

I noticed the web page doesn't list Win7 as a supported OS. Have you contacted the author about your issue?

• 4.  RE: Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

Posted Dec 31, 2009 05:03 PM

I have personally used Ovation Pro on VMs under XP and Windows 7, as follows:

- Fusion 2 + XP x86

- Fusion 3 + XP x86

- Fusion 3 + Win7 x64*

- Parallels + Win 7 x64

- Parallels + XP x86

Only Fusion 3 + Win7 x64 has the mouse issue. I've been in contact with several users of and no one reports a mouse problem with Ovation Pro. I have also been in contact with David Pilling, the author of Ovation Pro -- he has no experience of running OvationPro in a VM, but has received no reports of mouse problems from people running his software in Win7, Vista or XP on a standard PC.

Given that VMware Fusion has a history of mouse-related issues, it seems to me most likely that the Fusion3/Win7 combination is the culprit.

If you/others can prove otherwise, it will be progress. And if you find evidence that Ovation Pro is at fault, I'll report that back to David Pilling who usually is very quick to fix bugs in his software.

I appreciate the help ...

• 5.  RE: Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

Posted Dec 31, 2009 04:48 PM

I did see some initial mouse slowdown when the program opened in a very small window (which it keeps doing). When I maximized the window, the mouse is as responsive as anything else. Actually I did close one of the floating windows as well but I can't seem to find it again, even uninstalling and re-installing the program. Since I closed that floating palette, nothing I do can slow down the i-beam cursor using a wireless mighty mouse. I've turned on rulers, registration marks, etc and everything works on Win7 x64.

• 6.  RE: Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

Posted Dec 31, 2009 05:30 PM

It's interesting that you don't see the mouse slowdown effect. I take it you are using Snow Leopard and that you've left-clicked in the OvationPro text window before dragging the mouse across the screen, so that the pointer changes to an I-caret as soon as it enters the text window?

Default behaviour of OvationPro is to open in a small window with several small floating windows ... something which can be changed. I have set up Ovation Pro to open full screen with no floating windows -- I'll ask David Pilling about the small floating windows, and whether changing the behaviour could have any effect.

• 7.  RE: Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

Posted Dec 31, 2009 07:43 PM

Re. floating windows ...

I assume you do NOT mean the info palette and toolbox, which (by default) attach to the lefthand side and bottom of the main window, respectively. From memory, there are two floating windows that by default open at startup (colour palette and style palette). These are provided by applets -- and you can switch them on/off in the Applets menu at the top ... you can set the default state to off or on (File>Save as>Default, I think).

Note that settings for applets are stored on disc and uninstalling the program does not get rid of them -- go to Users>Username>Appdata>Roaming>DavidPilling>OvationPro -- to remove them manually.

Anyway, opening and closing these floating windows makes no difference here to mouse behaviour. I've also asked david Pilling, who also thinks they should have no bearing on the matter.

• 8.  RE: Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

Posted Dec 31, 2009 10:03 PM

I assume you do NOT mean the info palette and toolbox, which (by default) attach to the lefthand side and bottom of the main window, respectively. From memory, there are two floating windows that by default open at startup (colour palette and style palette). These are provided by applets -- and you can switch them on/off in the Applets menu at the top ... you can set the default state to off or on (File>Save as>Default, I think).

Thanks, the missing palette was the colour one.

Note that settings for applets are stored on disc and uninstalling the program does not get rid of them -- go to Users>Username>Appdata>Roaming>DavidPilling>OvationPro -- to remove them manually.

This was the only thing not logged in Install.log. I checked everything in the registry under HKCR/HKLM/HKCU and it was clean. Deleting the DavidPilling folder reset the program to the original state.

As to your earlier queries, I have a MacBook Pro 5,5 4GB/OS X 10.6.2 with a wireless mighty mouse. The difference we have is you have 2 GB assigned to Win7 whereas I have 1 GB. I increased my VM to 2 GB and my whole machine came to a crawl. I had to exit everything except Safari and Fusion to make it responsive. Once responsive and deleting the settings, the mouse was slightly more erratic but not terribly sluggish in OvationPro. You may want to do a quick test with Win7 running with 1 GB (which is very snappy on my machine). Otherwise I can't really say I'm reproducing your issue here. Sorry.

• 9.  RE: Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

Posted Dec 31, 2009 11:54 PM

I'll try running Win 7 with 1GB, and see what happens. Thanks for your interest, and Happy New Year.

• 10.  RE: Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

Posted Jan 05, 2010 01:40 PM

A further observation ...

Windows 7/Fusion 3 ... I had Mouse properties>Pointer Options>Enhance pointer precision TICKED. If that option is UNTICKED, then the slowdown in drag speed within an OPW window is much less noticeable here.

Does this provoke any thoughts?

• 11.  RE: Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

Posted Dec 31, 2009 04:22 PM

Is this a Fusion 3, Windows 7, or Ovation Pro problem? I should add that OvationPro works fine in XP (with Fusion 2) and I know someone who uses a standalone Windows 7 PC who doesn't experience the mouse drag problem with OvationPro.

Offhand this sounds like an Ovation Pro problem, if this is the only app it occurs in. Does your friend with a Win7 PC have the 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit version (x64)?

If anyone feels like investigating the problem, then a fully-functional demo version of OvationPro can be downloaded from: http://www.davidpilling.info/cd/main.html (double-click the first link on the page)

I'll download this and check it out on both Win7 x86 and Win7 x64 machines.

• 12.  RE: Fusion 3, Windows 7 x64, and mouse drag speed

Posted Dec 31, 2009 04:44 PM

Thanks - I would appreciate it if you could carry out those checks.

My colleague who ran the Fusion2 check in my presence - did so on an Intel iMac and (I presume) with Windows 7 x86. The latter is a reasonable assumption since we both work at the University of Edinburgh and he would have installed Win7 on top of an existing XP installation ... as far as I know all Edinburgh Univ Windows PCs are running 32-bit XP. I did a clean install of Win7 x64 on my personal laptop.