Expand all | Collapse all

VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

• 1.  VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Nov 21, 2022 11:17 AM

Hi All,

I have the following computer:

Apple Mac mini M1 (silicon)

macOS Monterey 12.6.1

I have installed VMware Fusion v13 Professional (trial) and I'm trying to install macOS Monterey and Ventura.

When I launch VMware Fusion > Create New VM > select Ventura ISO > at the Choose Operating System window, there is no Apple Mac option to select from - see attached. Is it something I am doing wrong?

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

Screenshot 2022-11-21 at 11.13.26.png

• 2.  RE: VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Nov 21, 2022 11:19 AM

As of today, virtualizing macOS is supported just on Intel platform.

• 3.  RE: VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Nov 21, 2022 11:30 AM

oh really? where have you seen this?

Is there any way around this?...I have a Windows 10 on my Dell Optiplex micro and have installed macOS 12 & 13 in VMware Workstation 16 but want to get rid of the Dell and have it all running on my M1 Mac mini.

• 4.  RE: VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Nov 21, 2022 11:50 AM

This was something emerged in the Release of the Tech Preview (https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2022/07/just-released-vmware-fusion-22h2-tech-preview.html)

Anyway it seems it's also contained in the Fusion 13 User Guide,

> Mac OS X, OS X, or macOS virtual machines that you create in Fusion can run on any Apple-branded hardware that uses Intel processors.

I wish VMware changes its mind on this.

• 5.  RE: VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Nov 21, 2022 12:39 PM

Thank you for the update.

It is a shame they are only focused on intel chip processors and yes I do hope VMware do change their minds on this too!

• 6.  RE: VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Nov 21, 2022 05:48 PM

There is nera zero chance of ever running an intel based guest on an ARM chip.  You can't put gasoline in a diesel truck.  Fusion doesn't emulate the CPU - it virtualizes it.  While there are emulators (QEMU), performance is unusable...and that's not likely to change.

• 7.  RE: VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Nov 21, 2022 02:59 PM

wrote:
    > Mac OS X, OS X, or macOS virtual machines that you create in Fusion can run on any Apple-branded hardware that uses Intel processors.

I wish VMware changes its mind on this.

Apple has not made it easy for third party hypervisors to virtualize macOS on ApplecSilicon and provide the same kind of functionality they do for Windows and Linux. Apple’s high level frameworks in Ventura that they promote (and that Parallels uses for macOS on Apple Silicon) do not let you suspend a virtual machine, take snapshots, select the storage layout (split vs monolithic), resize a virtual disk and other things. Also see Parallels KB article for additional restrictions. https://kb.parallels.com/en/128867

VMware has said it’s a non-trivial task to do macOS virtualization on Apple Silicon and make it work the way you’d expect. They have said they’re looking into it, but no specifics on delivery, which is disappointing. 

In the mean time if you need macOS virtualized on Apple Silicon, check out the open source VirtualBuddy software. https://github.com/insidegui/VirtualBuddy  It’ll give you pretty much everything that Parallels does, and the price is right - free. 

• 8.  RE: VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Sep 25, 2023 04:06 PM

Parallels support installing MacOS on Apple Silicon

• 9.  RE: VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Sep 25, 2023 04:38 PM

wrote:

Parallels support installing MacOS on Apple Silicon

And if you read Technogeezer's post above, he mentions the limitations thereof.

• 10.  RE: VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Sep 25, 2023 04:40 PM

Oh, thanks. Missed that.

• 11.  RE: VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Sep 25, 2023 04:42 PM

Read the fine print.

Parallels only supports macOS versions that run on Apple Silicon versions (Monterey and later) and with reduced functionality over what they provide for a Linux and Windows. . That’s because Parallels just put a wrapper around Apple’s high level Virtualization Framework for macOS. I can get the same features for free with UTM.

I don’t pay a dime for a Fusion Player personal use license and UTM. Parallels can’t meet that price point. 

• 12.  RE: VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Sep 25, 2023 04:43 PM

Thanks for the clarification

• 13.  RE: VMware Fusion v13 - install macOS 12 and 13

Posted Sep 25, 2023 09:04 PM

(Deleted post)