Fusion

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

• 1.  Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted May 29, 2007 05:58 AM

I have compared VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop and the winner is VMware.

See my blog: http://svenand.blogdrive.com/archive/56.html

Sven

• 2.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted May 31, 2007 04:55 PM

• 3.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 03, 2007 11:33 PM

Well I think you have to say in your opinion for running Linux, but all those features you listed as NO for Parallels work fine for windows ...

YES Drag and drop files between Mac OS X and the virtual machine

YES Copying and pasting text between Mac OS X and the virtual machine

YES Moving the cursor between Mac OS X and the virtual machine

YES Support for Airport Wireless network

YES Mounting usb devices

YES Coherence mode

YES Taking snapshots

YES Resizing the virtual machine window

• 4.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 05, 2007 10:11 AM

For a lot of users here, Windows support is secondary. *nix support is what I'm after. It shouldn't have taken until the 2nd version to introduce Unix Tools, something Fusion has had since day one.

• 5.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 05, 2007 10:16 AM

Absolutely (in terms of Unix support) and I still don't know whether Parallels is able to support 64-bit guest operating systems in version 3.0 whereas this is quite clearly possible (and works wonderfully) with Fusion.

I'm not upgrading to Parallels 3.0 - I'm gunning for Fusion from this point onwards.

M.

• 6.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 05, 2007 11:06 PM

I sceptic about the 3D support in Parallels, anyone know how good to snapshot functionality is?

• 7.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 06, 2007 02:32 PM

Does the lack of support for the Bluetooth Mighty Mouse not bother anyone but me? I hate that when I boot into windows through Fusion that I lose my mouse... a killer for me

• 8.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 06, 2007 02:55 PM

Does the lack of support for the Bluetooth Mighty

Mouse not bother anyone but me? I hate that when I

boot into windows through Fusion that I lose my

mouse... a killer for me

This will only happen if you connect your Bluetooth USB adapter to the virtual machine. Make sure you're not doing this.

• 9.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 06, 2007 09:42 PM

There is no USB adaptor for this mouse. You just turn it on and off

• 10.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 06, 2007 09:45 PM

The internal Bluetooth adapter on Macs is a USB device. If you have the VM acquire that USB device on startup then OSX will lose the Bluetooth adapter.

• 11.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 07, 2007 02:44 AM

ok, i may be stupid, but how is it a USB device when it does not connect by USB at all? And, I guess my question is for anyone that has a bluetooth mighty mouse: Can you get it to work in both OSX and Windows using fusion?

• 12.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 07, 2007 02:56 AM

The bluetooth adaptor that Apple uses in their machines is in fact a USB device. It's just like the USB adapters for bluetooth that you find in the stores. The difference is that it's on the motherboard. It still goes through the USB.

The Mighty Mouse connects to the Mac via Bluetooth. So when you "grab" the bluetooth device, you take away the ability for the MIghty Mouse to connect to the Mac (it no longer has a bluetooth adapter available to it).

By disconnecting the bluetooth device from the VM, you will be able to use the mouse in the Mac. While the mouse itself isn't recognized by the VM, all the buttons you click will be passed through, so all of the buttons should work.

Though I have not tried it, I would be mildly interested in the result of having two bluetooth adapters. One to be owned by the VM and one by the Mac and see if that would work. This would be so that the mac would own the mouse/kb devices while the VM could connect to my phone (for example).

• 13.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 07, 2007 04:17 AM

Yeah, same for the bluetooth keyboard of Apple. Also loses his connection when running a image. Some smart interexchange sharing would be a kicker. For now, I just pair the mouse and keyboard to the image and when I need to use keyboard or mouse I use the keyboard of the notebook.

Would be problematic for my upcoming Mac Pro.

• 14.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 07, 2007 04:24 AM

This should only happen if you tell VMware Fusion to take over the Bluetooth Adapter, otherwise the Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse should work just fine. Vinay was right, it would be interesting to use a second Bluetooth adapter for your Bluetooth devices other than keyboard and mouse to get the best of both worlds.

Pat

• 15.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 07, 2007 05:02 AM

Any chance that we're accidentally grabbing the USB device (for the bluetooth controller) into the VM, even though the users might not be asking for that? Sometimes the USB autoconnect support might get overeager. Or, if you accidentally tell it to do that once, it might remember it and always try to connect the bluetooth controller back to that VM.

If people experiencing this problem can give more details, it's something we should follow up on. Post the .vmx file (it's inside the VM bundle) and we can see what the USB autoconnect feature is doing.

Regardless, we might want to put a safety latch on passing the bluetooth controller into the VM; it's probably rare to want the VM to control it, and almost never what you want if it's responsible for your keyboard and mouse. Kinda hard to get out of that situation too :\

So anyway: those of you hitting this problem, look on the toolbar, and see if the Bluetooth device shows up there, and see if it's listed as connected to the VM (with a green checkmark over it). If so, that's your problem, and we should figure out how it got that way -- did you tell it to do that, or did the ghost in the machine make it happen. And if that's not the explanation at all, then we need to find the right explanation.

• 16.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 07, 2007 12:14 PM

Well, thanks for all the help! I am not sure how it got turned on, but the bluetooth adaptor was turned on in the VM. As soon as i turned it off, i got my mouse back. I will keep my eye on it and see if it automatically comes back on. Thanks again! Makes it much more likely I will stay with Fusion now!

• 17.  RE: Comparing VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop

Posted Jun 04, 2007 03:10 PM

Fusion seems to have better organizational strength and over the long run may prevail. In the meantime, PD shows better speed to me, and seems to have the momentum. I suspect stability and speed will win the day.

David.