Fusion

View Only
  • 1.  Fusion, Windows 11 ARM, and Visual Studio - does it work?

Posted Jul 26, 2023 12:18 AM

Posting a question for a friend - his daughter is headed to school this fall, and will have to do windows development using visual studio.  He'd prefer to buy her a mac.

The question is:  will she be able to do her homework on visual studio in a Windows 11 ARM VM on a mac?  Anyone done that?

• 2.  RE: Fusion, Windows 11 ARM, and Visual Studio - does it work?

Posted Jul 26, 2023 01:00 AM

I just installed Visual Studio 22 Community edition on my W11 ARM VM and it starts. Haven't done any coding work with it though to say for sure how well it works. Your question is enticing me to re-take a C++ class that I originally took on my Mac using Xcode and re-trying it under VS on Windows ARM..

One interesting question - what would your friend's daughter need to turn in as a deliverable? It's unlikely that the teacher will have an Windows 11 ARM system, so you'd have to rely on cross-compilation if the end result is to turn over a binary...

• 3.  RE: Fusion, Windows 11 ARM, and Visual Studio - does it work?

Posted Jul 26, 2023 04:28 PM

Good question, and not sure (incoming freshman), but I'll ask.

I wonder if you can set the target architecture for the compiled output?

• 4.  RE: Fusion, Windows 11 ARM, and Visual Studio - does it work?

Posted Jul 26, 2023 07:12 PM

Some quick tests....

I ran through some vanilla C++ (non-Windows) code through VS. No issues with them.

VS does seem to have the ability to target architecture. I took one of my examples that was originally built for arm64 and changed the platform to x64. Worked fine (suspect it's using Windows 11 ARM's x64 translation).

I'm not enough of a Windows developer to say what happens once you get to Windows coding, but what I've seen so far has been encouraging.