ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Erase ESX Host

Posted Feb 20, 2024 11:56 PM

This might sound like a strange one but has anyone ever erased an ESX host? When I say erase, get the photon partition back to factory defaults?

We've got 4x Dell R 620 Servers (ESX hosts) I need to do this on.

Before I go outside of the scope of VMware, I was interested in knowing, is there any magic command to enter at start up which will do this for us?

If not, what is the recommended method to use if going outside of VMware?

• 2.  RE: Erase ESX Host
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 21, 2024 12:30 AM

- not sure if i'm misunderstanding your exact requirements, but why not just reinstall ESXi?

When you do so, it will detect the existing ESXi installation and give you the option to overwrite it (2nd highlighted option), and/or additionally overwrite any existing datastore (3rd option) if you have one.

This will return your ESXi installation to factory defaults. Is this what you need? 

markey165_0-1708474960057.png

• 3.  RE: Erase ESX Host

Posted Feb 21, 2024 12:33 AM

Thanks that definitely sounds like a logical option.

Never thought of doing that, I'll give it a go.

• 4.  RE: Erase ESX Host

Posted Feb 21, 2024 12:40 AM

- Yep if that's all you need to do, that's going to be your best bet 

ESXi takes less than 10 minutes to install so it should be fairly quick and painless. Just make sure you know what your network settings are before you wipe it (if you need to put the same config back)  

• 5.  RE: Erase ESX Host

Posted Feb 21, 2024 01:02 AM

No configs or settings are going back, my mission is to wipe these so we can get rid of them. Resetting back to factory defaults is ideal. I'll see how this goes, trying the 1st one now.

• 6.  RE: Erase ESX Host

Posted Feb 21, 2024 05:19 AM

Thanks this worked a treat ! Sometimes the simple approach is the best !

• 7.  RE: Erase ESX Host

Posted Feb 21, 2024 10:46 AM

No problem, glad it solved your needs. 

• 8.  RE: Erase ESX Host

Posted Feb 23, 2024 03:19 PM

The DCUI has a reset function, or via SSH you can execute /sbin/firmwareConfig.sh. With the –reset-only option.