ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Re: How to obtain free ESXi 6 License Key

Posted Feb 25, 2024 07:26 PM

hello. i saw your comments. 

i have a question on how to purchase vmware esxi 6.0 license. we have a server that is a dell emc with vmware embeded . and we lost the original license key and neither dell or vmware can assist in that. so we are looking to purchase a new key. does this sound ok to you? or should dell and vmware be of more assistance, now having our company to buy something we already own?

thank you

• 2.  RE: Re: How to obtain free ESXi 6 License Key

Posted Feb 25, 2024 08:08 PM

If you have/had a purchased license (other than the free Hypervisor license) you should find it in the customer connect portal for the user to which it was registered. If you don't remember who created the account, but still know the email domain, it should be possible for the company owner / CEO to request information about the account from VMware.

There's unfortunately no way to get a new free Hypervisor license anymore.

New licenses are subscription based, and have to be purchased by the number of cores (not COUs anymore), with a minimum count of 16 cores per physical CPU. However, new licenses can only be purchase for the current version, and I'm not sure whether it will be possible to downgrade the license to version 6, which already went EOL in October 2022.

André

As a side not: You are welcome to open a new discussion for your question, rather than replying to several year old ones. 

• 3.  RE: Re: How to obtain free ESXi 6 License Key

Posted Feb 25, 2024 08:33 PM

thank you for that info.

yes I might start a new thread.

• 4.  RE: Re: How to obtain free ESXi 6 License Key

Posted Feb 25, 2024 08:28 PM

Hello.
    If your company purchased a Dell server and VMware from the same vendor, look for or request the respective invoice, this document should contain the VMware Activation Code of the license purchased, contact VMware support and send this document to help you.
    In general when you receive a document from VMware with the Activation Code, this is registered on the VMware website with a user and password of the company. After this registration, you can obtain the vmware license that will be entered in the server.

Every Activation Code must be registered on the VMware website in order to obtain the respective license.

Does your company have a customer account (user and password) registered in VMware ?

If the person who registered the Activation Code in VMware and obtained the license, no longer works in the company or was the technician who performed the installation, only with an invoice from a VMware partner you can make a claim and recover your license.

If the VMware came pre-installed, you also had to be registered (assigned a customer) in order to obtain the respective license.

• 5.  RE: Re: How to obtain free ESXi 6 License Key

Posted Feb 25, 2024 08:32 PM

thank you for that

yes I had looked for the purchase receipt. no luck. this company was just purchased and there is a legal fight with the old owners atm.

I would have to search all their old emails. 
    I had contacted dell they are asking for the receipt as well. Vmware was not able to assist since I do not have an item attached to this in our support portal. Does anyone here know how to contact vmware support directly without an item attached in the portal?

thank you