The Water Cooler

• 1.  Windows Initiators Errors When Connecting to Linux Targets

Posted Feb 21, 2019 10:24 AM

So I'm having a problem I just cannot figure out.  We have two QLogic 5800v switches connected together with two 10Gb uplinks ports.

Windows Initiators thrown an error in the Disk Management and the diskpart tools when doing anything with the disk with the error of "The parameter is incorrect".  So far I've tested Server 2012 R2 (QLE2562) and Win 7 Ultimate (QLE2460).  I've updated the driver and the firmware on the 2012 R2 box.

A CentOS 6 initiator connects to the SCST Target just fine using a QLE2562 card.

Just for giggles I tried TargetCli as well and it had the same behavior.

SCST is running on a Devuan Ascii (Debian Stretch) libvirt kvm machine with the QLE2562 card passed through to the VM.  Same behavior happened on native hardware as well.  Just moved it to a VM to do more testing as I ended up crashing the main box once.  Intention is to create a target of a very large ZFS ZVOL of 115TB.

Googling for days has not resulted in any solutions.  Any idea on what might be causing this behavior?  I've tried a blocksize of 4096 as well without success. 

My scst.conf file:

HANDLER vdisk_blockio {
            DEVICE ZVol_Production {
                    filename /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-0QEMU_QEMU_HARDDISK_zvol_production
            }
            DEVICE ZFS_Test_20GB {
                    filename /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-0QEMU_QEMU_HARDDISK_ZFS_Test_20GB
            }
    }
    TARGET_DRIVER qla2x00t {
            TARGET 21:00:00:24:ff:23:ec:86 {
                    enabled 1

GROUP Production_Volumes {
                            LUN 0 ZVol_Production
                            LUN 1 ZFS_Test_20GB

INITIATOR 21:00:00:e0:8b:9b:7b:76
                            INITIATOR 21:00:00:24:ff:24:7e:6e
                            INITIATOR 21:00:00:24:ff:25:0b:a8
                    {
            }
    } 

#TheWaterCooler

• 2.  Re: Windows Initiators Errors When Connecting to Linux Targets

Posted Feb 25, 2019 07:42 AM

Uh... There is no such thing as a Linux Target. Targets are specifically storage devices. A Linux device would be an initiator, thus, this looks like initiator to initiator zoning, which won't work.

#TheWaterCooler

• 3.  Re: Windows Initiators Errors When Connecting to Linux Targets

Posted Feb 25, 2019 07:53 AM

Actually, Linux can be used for storage devices.  TargetCli and SCST (SCSI Target) are the two software implementations that enable Linux to act as Target.  But the issue with Windows Initiators is happening under both TargetCli and SCST.  I'm going to be working on this again today.

#TheWaterCooler

• 4.  Re: Windows Initiators Errors When Connecting to Linux Targets

Posted Feb 25, 2019 07:55 AM

Interesting. I've never seen this. I imagine that there has to be a setting on the "target" HBA that will allow it to accept requests from initiators. What setting that is, I have no idea. I'm curious if you come across a solution.

#TheWaterCooler

• 5.  Re: Windows Initiators Errors When Connecting to Linux Targets

Posted Feb 25, 2019 08:09 AM

For TargetCLI sofware, it's just passing a parmeter to the qla2xx module:

http://linux-iscsi.org/index.php/Fibre_Channel

SCST uses their own Kernel modules and they are compiled againt the kernel:

http://scst.sourceforge.net/qla2x00t-howto.html

I used TargetCli for iscsi before to Windows Initiators.  Just having problems getting FC to work work with Windows right now.

Going to try ESOS today in a VM to see if they home some kind of configuration for SCST that works with Windows.

http://www.esos-project.com/

#TheWaterCooler

• 6.  Re: Windows Initiators Errors When Connecting to Linux Targets

Posted Feb 25, 2019 09:31 AM

@Legacy User 

@Richard Kelley 

you are here neither in QLOGIC nor in any Linux or Windows community.

please post such question on they vendor forum/community

#TheWaterCooler