For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

VC calculation and Shared Area Mode

Hello,

We'd like to make sure, when attaching a new array to x6-directors, that initiator traffic to the storage ports will spread evenly across Virtual Channels.
As far as I have learned, the DID of an FC frame determines which VC is being used. more specifically the lower 2 or 4? bits of the area id. Can someone please confirm this?
And in addition: what about the shared area mode used with the 48-port blades - these use 2 bits from the node-address-byte of the FCID. Are these 2 bits relevant for VC calculation?  
Thank you for your thoughts.

Regards

Joachim

External Moderator

Re: VC calculation and Shared Area Mode

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the link – it answers first part of my question very well,

anyway about the 2nd part of my question regarding “shared area” (10bit area id) affecting VC, I am not sure yet.

Looking at FC-SW-6 standard regarding "virtual channels" it also mentions bit8 to 9 of D_ID for 4VCs and does not mention "shared area".

If someone has researched the topic already and came to a conclusion, I'd be glad to read from you.

TIA

Joachim

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Hello,

Yes, 8 an 9 bite is last two bites of D_ID.

Shared area will affect only number of NPIV devices attached to particular port as it will borrow bits from Node_ID.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Marian Bezeg

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.