For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Anonymous

Re: Rapid increasing er_bad_os at 8 Gbit speed

Yes. We are seeing discards on the ISL links and we have upgraded from 6.1.2 --> 6.2.2 but seems like its not helping. We have done everything from sfp replacments to cable and move the cables to other ports. No clue on what to do next. Everyday there will be ports have enc out increasing and flapping. Sometimes tx/rx would be 0.0 watts and we replaced the sfps but at time the sfp would be just fine but we still its flapping.

Anonymous

I asume that you came original from a 5.3 version before you update to 6.x, correct?

If so than you can reduce the dicards on the ISL and in the fabric if you add additional ISLs. In our case it had fixed the issue.

I have also disabled QoS on all ISL but this didn't fix the issue. It was only a recommendation from the OEM.

I suggest that you fix first your ISL issues and then do the next step.

Regards,

Andreas

Anonymous

Hi Andreas,

The previous version was 6.1.2. We haven't try to add additional ISLs but this is something worth a try. We also have issues with replication ports flapping and there are discards on the MPR 7500 san router connecting the primary and secondary site. We are still pending to upgrade the firmware on the secondary site and I think we will proceed further from there.

Regards,

Mahen

Anonymous

Hi Andreas,

Apart from that, we are also experiencing enc out on storage ports which belongs to the same USP. Could it be that the ports are set to auto nego?

Regards,

Mahen

Anonymous

Hello Mahen,

auto nego is not an issue on a Brocade SAN. USP with 4 Gbit and USP-V with 8Gbit feature cards have no problem with auto.

I prefere to set the ports on both side fixed to the maximum speed.

I assume that you may have a bigger issue in the SAN.

Try primay to fix your discard issue.

If you talk about a 7500 router can you check if the router links are maybe overloaded?

It could be possible that this is the reason why you see dropped frames in your SAN.

But finally I would say that this thread has now a complete other direction compared to the initial question which I raised some time ago....

Regards,

Andreas

Anonymous

Yeah agree. Maybe I should open a new thread.

Anonymous

Let it here as it is.

What are your next steps to solve your issues?

Andreas

Anonymous

Hi Andres,

I have no clue what to do next. I am actually waiting for all the switches in the primary site and secondary site to be upgraded and proceed to torubleshoot as adviced by the vendor. I am open to any suggestions  from you all.

Regards,

Mahendran

Anonymous

why do not you check from HBA side.you are getting the value increasing on the ports , connected to only HBAs or Storages also. have you done a portstatsclear and then porterrshow and a portstatsshow again and again. have you checked then, the error is increasing or not?

Anonymous

Hi Hemant,

Let me give an overview of the infra:

We have 3 sites :

Site 1

Fabric 1 = 20 switches

Fabric 2 = 20 switches

Site 2

Fabric 1 = 18 switches

Fabric 2= 18 switches

Sites 3

Fabric 1 = 2 switches
Fabric 2 = 2 switches

------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are experiencing discards on the ISL between 2 dir 4800 switches (Site 1 ; Fabric 1) and there  quite number of port generating enc out and disc c3 on most of the switches connected to those dir switches. We have replaced a lot of sfps and cables but nothing is solving this issue. Everyday, there will be ports flapping. Firmware was upgraded from 6.1.0c ---> 6.2.2a but this seems be not solving the issue. We have about 6 more switches to be upgraded.

On your suggestions to replace the HBA, we did replace the HBA seems like the paths on the server goes offline even after the replacement.

We have few hundred server facing intermittent paths going offline at the moment.

I have no clue where to start again.

Regards,

Mahen

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.