For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Long Distance for a 900M dark fiber cable

[ Edited ]

Hello,

We  have two SAN fabrics spanning two buildings across a 900m dark fiber single-mode cable. My question is, what's the correct LD setup for this? should I leave it on L0, or it should be LE. The current config is wrong, as one fabric is set to L0, and the other is to LE.

We have a strached datacenter, each half is on a different building, and we also have strached storage leveraging Netapp metro cluster. I'm talking here about the datacenter SAN switches used by hosts to connect to storage, not the SAN interconnect switches.

Thanks,

Regular Contributor

Re: Long Distance for a 900M dark fiber cable

When you say Dark Fiber, do you mean WDM? If so, it will depend on the vendor used for the dark fiber connection. There are also some settings on the Brocade switches that may need to be changed depending on the vendor used for the dark fiber connection.

Occasional Contributor

Hi, WDM is not used, it's our own cable running between the two buildings, just terminated on a patch panel on both ends. So?
Regular Contributor

Both Long Distance modes should be LE.

Frequent Contributor

Defintely use LE mode.  Once the ISLs are in production and if you notice the performance is less than you expect across the ISLs it might need further analysis as related to average frame size vs. required buffers, but more than likely LE mode should suffice.

The comments and advise included are the author's and do not mirror the views and opinions of any company. Any comments, advise, statements or references are without warranty, liability or claims of expertise. You should seek the assistance of the professional entity for subject matter being pursued.

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.