For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Re: Isolation zone question

As they are part of the fabric zones propagate to them without any problem.

As they are part of the fabric YOU need access to those switches.

It's not good practice (IMHO) to divide reasonsibiltities over one common thing (being the fabrics) without either one having access to all gear  comprising said fabrics.

So if the other unit is unwilling to give you access, force them into using the AG mode, in which the switch is no longer participating in the fabric. Or other way around, hand them over management of the other FC switches.

Well, that's good news.  I just now figured out that my 5100s are surrogates, the 5424s must be the principals.  Not huge, but not cool either IMO.  I'm going to want to promote my 5100s.  (fabricprincipal command) 

Im learning!

My 5100s are the largest,beefiest switches, so.. I think they'll have to work a lot closer with me.  I agree with you, it really is a poor setup. (Same thing with the backups too, I'm the backend for this unit,  they install and conf their backup clients)

I read up on the AG mode earlier today, that sounds enticing, except that it would cause a reboot of the switch.  But, if I do only one at a time.. and they have true redundancy, that shouldn't hurt.  

From the docs, it looked like AG mode is for use between two swtiches, if this were enabled on the 5424s, wouldn't I still have the issue with traffic on all it's ports, or would it force it to work like a passthrough?  The fact that m5424s are part of a chassis muddles things a bit for me.

We have another Dell M1000 chassis equipped with m5424s coming up soon, so I'll have to get familiar with them.

Anonymous

[ Edited ]

Well, that's good news.  I just now figured out that my 5100s are surrogates, the 5424s must be the principals.  Not huge, but not cool either IMO.  I'm going to want to promote my 5100s.  (fabricprincipal command) 

Im learning!

Must be, the fabricshow command lists this as > in fron of the line with the principal switch.

Also switchshow will show the role of the switch.

Indeed with fabricprincipal you can overrule or adjust the default behaviour in principal selection.

My 5100s are the largest,beefiest switches, so.. I think they'll have to work a lot closer with me.  I agree with you, it really is a poor setup. (Same thing with the backups too, I'm the backend for this unit,  they install and conf their backup clients)

I read up on the AG mode earlier today, that sounds enticing, except that it would cause a reboot of the switch.  But, if I do only one at a time.. and they have true redundancy, that shouldn't hurt.  

From the docs, it looked like AG mode is for use between two swtiches, if this were enabled on the 5424s, wouldn't I still have the issue with traffic on all it's ports, or would it force it to work like a passthrough?  The fact that m5424s are part of a chassis muddles things a bit for me.

We have another Dell M1000 chassis equipped with m5424s coming up soon, so I'll have to get familiar with them.

Well if you got more incoming blade chassis and they are to be connected to the same set of 5100's, you sure need to set up zoning.

AG mode disables al Fabric services on that particular switch, but it does not become a passthrough module.

Passthrough modules create an external facing interface which you can patch, they typically do not contain any logic.

AG mode is a Brocade term, but you still need to configure (usually once) and manage it (not often).

The/A admin guide is found >> http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/product_manuals/B_SAN/AccessGateway_AdminGd_v700.pdf

With just one ISL you must create a custom port map as the default map maps two internal ports to one external port.

You do need to have all ports licensed on the embedded switches before you can proceed (again access is required),

You still have the issue of the ISL oversubscription as all blades go through that ISL.

Again you can cable additional links, and decide whether you want to map individual internal ports to external ports or to use F-port trunking (trunking license applies) > http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/AG_AG_701/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm#href=AG_Policies.7.10.html&single=true

Occasional Contributor

Revisiting this again..

This had to be put aside due to other emerencies that popped up.

The more I look at this situation, the more lost I feel.   Our old SAN was simple:  just two switches, each it's own fabric;  zoning was unique to each switch,  paths were straightforward from host hba to swtich to array or tape library.

Now all four switches show as one single fabric, and the unit is not using multipathing, so my two main switches (the 5100s) do not have the same connections.  

If I create a zone on one, doesn't that try to propagate to the others? If a switch doesn't see that WWN, will it just ignore the zone?

Also, I had made 3 test zones 3 weeks ago, and saved (but not enabled!) the config..  now I go back and look, and they're gone.

Wondering if that's because the switch was not a principal and got it's info overwritten.

I've since enabled one of my 5100s as principle.   Can more than one switch be principle?

External Moderator

[ Edited ]

--->>>Now all four switches show as one single fabric,...

--->>>If I create a zone on one, doesn't that try to propagate to the others?

if all switch are in the same Fabric,  ISL  the one to another one, then when you create a config or whatever this wil lbe propagate on all switch in the Fabric.

the same if you, remove one Alias, Config Zone or made change on a Swictch, the same happened fabric Wide,

-->>I've since enabled one of my 5100s as principle.   Can more than one switch be principle?

No. in the same fabric only One switch can become as Principal, all other are subordinate

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is becoming a real nightmare.

The way they set this up, I'm the "SAN admin", but the hosts are not mine and I don't have access, they just wanted me to manage the "back end", which really doesn't work in the real world.

Problem number one:  the unit running the hosts isn't running multipathing.  It's not my place to dictate their practices to them, though they know that's how it should be.  They claim issues with the operating system or databases when they do it.

A member of the unit that owns the server blade chassis which houses the m5425s also manages the datacenter, and did the cable hookup for me.

Here's the layout:

A Dell m1000e chassis with two m5424s:  both of these switches connect to both of my 5100s, in a cross matrix style redundant hookup. 

However, only one 5100 each is connected to an SP port in our array, which is an EMC CX-4  (SP-A and SP-B)

5100A  <--> SPA

5100B  <--> SPB

(logical because the CX-4 has only two input fibre ports)

The cross redundant cabling of the 5424s with the 5100s is what, if I'm not mistaken, is causing the switches to be all part of the same fabric.

I'd prefer two separate fabrics (which we had before and was far more simple) where:

* one m5424 is connected to 5100  "A"

* the other m5424 is connected to the other 5100 "B". 

From there, each of the 5100s has a single connection to the CX-4, as it does currently.

That way, I can hopefully create zones in totally separate paths.

If I were to eliminate the cross-over cabling between the 5424s and the 5100s, would that essentially split the fabric, or do I need to learn all about the AD commands.. because I've never received training and it's all over my head. 

I also have to check with the CX-4, I don't think the input ports A and B are locked into SPA and SPB but I might be wrong, in which case, none of this will work.  (I can't check on the CX-4 docs because of a current snafu between Dell and EMC, I don't have access to EMC's KB because we bought it through Dell and someone got the serial number wrong).

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I just checked deeper and it seems the inputs for SPA and SPB are in fact dedicated, from what I can tell.

There are also servers they connected that are not part of the blade chassis and are plugged right into the second 5100 ("B") but not the first.  ("A")

So, separating the fabrics like this:

• Fabric 1:  m5424A  <---> 5100A  <---> SPA
  • Fabric 2:  m5424B  <---> 5100B <---> SPB

Would mean any servers plugged into only the 5100B  but had LUNs owned by SPA would get cut off from it's data, from what I gather.   Greaaat. 

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.