For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

External Moderator

Re: ISL between IBM Brocade 44x1921 and IBM qlogic 4GB 43W6728

@trenta

just a stupid question,

--->>> I have an IBM Bladecenter H with two FC switch (qlogic 4 GB)

--->>> and a Bladecenter H with two FC Switch (Brocade 8GB)

what is the reason why you want to create ISL beetwen both ?

such a ISL beetwen both chassis make absolutely no sense.

Best practices is a Dual Fabric and connect the BladeCenter FC Switches:

a) to Storage Port Controller

or

b) to externale switches

what you want to realized here ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi

brocade switch are only 10 ports licensed, and qlogic are 20 ports licensed, my preferred config is both brocade and qlogic in the same bladecenter to use 10 and 20 port.

Any suggestion how to debug this issues, checked logs qlogic and brocade and no errors showed..., only reproduced with servers on the brocade side, storage servers on brocade side are working... ver strange...

I understand that if my actual configuration doesn't work we will have to try isl between two brocades....

To cknfigure isl between two brocades onky define interop mode native brocade? Any other action?

Thanks

External Moderator

@trenta

the answer is in you post

--->>>I understand that if my actual configuration doesn't work 

such a config is not supported, and for this reason I don't have any solutions

sorry....

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

correct, but I'm trying to find a solution, license problem 10 vs 20...

tests were made with qlogic standard mode (no transaprent) and brocade mdata open mode, if it could be a good idea to try, native broacde mode, mdata mode... gateway mode in brocade... or transparent mode in qlogic... any idea or suggestion

any suggestion about isl configuration between two brocades, only define native brocade mode anb plug and play?

thanks

Occasional Contributor

between two brocade seems to work, but brocade with qlogic problems is with zones, appears a message incompatibles zoning mode, tried to configure to allacces in brocade (http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/troubleshooting-guide/FOS_740_TSHOOT/GUID-F7A25F6A-0458-4E2E-8B11-A85D5460C997.html, but zone admin is not allowed to be modified, any suggestion?

Thanks
Contributor

Hi!

Besides configuring the interop mode you need to clean all zoning and set default zoning (Brocade) and default visibility (qlogic) to the same (all or no access). 

Also make sure all fabric parameters are the same on both switches:

• BB_Credit
  • R_A_TOV
  • E_D_TOV
  • R_T_TOV  
  • etc
Occasional Contributor

Parameters were correct, but about zonning after to configure isl with interopmode we can't change zoning configuration on brocade side, tried to change from command line but appears a messgae that interopmode 3 not allow to change zoning and configure all access

Qlogic and brocade doesn't have any zone configured...

Thanks

Contributor

Suppose you should disconnect ISL, set the Brocade into Native Mode, make all access and then set the brocade back to Interop mode.

Hope this will help

Occasional Contributor

Hi @Yurkus

Correct I have used this 

http://www.brocade.com/content/html/en/troubleshooting-guide/FOS_740_TSHOOT/GUID-F7A25F6A-0458-4E2E-8B11-A85D5460C997.html

with native mode and then changed, but after to configure interopmode 3, I can't make any change in zone configuration and is cahnged form all acces to non access on the brocade side, on the qlogic side works....

Is this correct? 

What are the correct steps to cofnigure this mixed isl?

Also tried brocade ISL and then works but some HBA, QMI2582 are having errors on this ports, other HBA works without any loss link... any special configuration on port or hba bios with this switch, before to change to brocade with qlogic was working without issues...

Thanks

Highlighted
Contributor

then try to set no access on the qlogic side as well and make zoning from qlogic. Maybe this will propagate to brocade

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.