For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Anonymous

Re: IBM BladeCenter usng 4Gb 20Port Brocade FC Switch module to Cisco MDS9000(9509) SAN in AG mode

I will have to talk to our SAN support to see what issues we will have in updated the Cisco OS to ensure it does not cause issues with our current production environment.

That being said, you think that is definitely our problem. You don't think the Blade Server QLogic HBAs with the same OUI ID "00" would be the problem currently and won't be a problem if we upgrade the Cisco OS ?

Thanks again, you have been a great help.

External Moderator

Re: IBM BladeCenter usng 4Gb 20Port Brocade FC Switch module to Cisco MDS9000(9509) SAN in AG mode

clasha,

--->>> That being said, you think that is definitely our problem.

I do not want to say that this is definitively their problem.....

--->>> You don't think the Blade Server QLogic HBAs with the same OUI ID "00" ...-... and won't be a problem if we upgrade the Cisco OS ?

.....not sure. But i think this OUI is a Cisco Problem, and a SAN-OS problem.

BTW, i note in the Brocade GA Tech Note follow:

"Make sure that you are using SAN- OS v3.0 (3) or SAN-OS 3.1 (3a) or later."

Their MDS have SAN-OS 3.0.2 ! Is correct ?

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Anonymous

We have upgraded the Cisco SAN-OS to 3.2.3a and I logged onto the Brocade module however I am still seeing errors like the ones below. My external Port 0 is Online but my blades are Disabled. Below is an portionof the Brocade Switch Report.

Kernel: 2.6.14

Fabric OS: v5.3.0a

Made on: Thu Aug 30 21:17:07 2007

Flash: Tue Dec 11 12:37:36 2007

BootProm: 4.6.4

List of Ports

Area Port Media Speed State Proto

=====================================

0 0 id N2 Online

1 1 cu N4 No_Sync Disabled (Fabric Login Failed)

2 2 cu N4 No_Sync Disabled (Fabric Login Failed)

3 3 cu N4 No_Sync Disabled (Fabric Login Failed)

4 4 cu N4 No_Sync Disabled (Fabric Login failed zero/duplicate AL_PA)

5 5 cu N4 No_Sync Disabled (Fabric Login failed zero/duplicate AL_PA)

We are still checking to ensure the Cisco settings are still correct but is there anything else that might be an issue here that we can check ?

Thanks

External Moderator

clasha,

--->>> My external Port 0 is Online but my blades are Disabled.

--->>> We are still checking to ensure the Cisco settings are still correct but.....

this error coming not from the Cisco, here is the 4020 not correct configured, or some things disabled.

Just to make sure, are the License Port in the 4020 active ? please post here follow output:

"switchshow" "fabricshow" "licenseshow"

test follow, disable one this port example port 3, "portdisable" and set "portcfgdefault" at this disabled Port, and enable this now and see what apper. For details about portdisable see in the Command reference guide.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
External Moderator

clasha,

i check the Part#: 32R1818 IBM FRU#: 32R1820 you post here last week,

and found that this IBM Part Number is a 3+7 Port Blade.

Again, are you sure that the Port License are Installed and Active ?

What of Total Server Blade are inserted in the Blade Center, and are the HBA Single or Dual Port ?

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Anonymous

Hi, I have 14 blades with two Brocade FC Modules (1 is for failover) . We are running the Brocade switches in AG Mode. I don't have all the ports active in order to do some testing which is why some of them below just say "No_Sync" Ports 0 and 15 are my external ports. Ports 16-19 have not GBIC therefore I disabled them.

Switchshow gave me:

switchName: SW1

switchType: 37.1

switchState: Online

switchMode: Access Gateway Mode

switchWwn: 10:****************

switchBeacon: OFF

Area Port Media Speed State Proto

=====================================

0 0 id N2 Online N-Port 20:02************** 0xab0023

1 1 cu N4 No_Sync Disabled (Fabric Login Failed)

2 2 cu N4 No_Sync Disabled (Fabric Login Failed)

3 3 cu N4 No_Sync Disabled (Fabric Login Failed)

4 4 cu N4 In_Sync Disabled (Fabric Login failed zero/duplica

te AL_PA)

5 5 cu N4 No_Sync Disabled (Fabric Login failed zero/duplica

te AL_PA)

6 6 cu AN No_Sync

7 7 cu AN No_Sync

8 8 cu N4 No_Sync Disabled (Fabric Login failed zero/duplica

te AL_PA)

9 9 cu AN No_Sync

10 10 cu AN No_Sync

11 11 cu AN No_Sync

12 12 cu AN No_Sync

13 13 cu AN No_Sync

14 14 cu AN No_Sync

15 15 id N2 Online N-Port 20:03:**************0x9c0016

16 16 -- N4 No_Module

17 17 -- N4 No_Module

18 18 -- N4 No_Module

19 19 -- N4 No_Module

Fabricshow gave me:

Error: This command is not supported in AG mode

licenseshow gave me this (I ** out the codes themselves):

R****************:

Web license

S*******************:

Zoning license

b******************:

Fabric license

S*****************:

Full Ports on Demand license - additional 10 port upgrade license

External Moderator

clasha,

--->>> Fabricshow gave me:

Error: This command is not supported in AG mode

Sorry, is correct i forgot it....

I note here in the output of switchshow, that Port 0 and 15 are work, also you have a active ISL to MDS. With the licenses is everything in the best way.... i ask here because in AG Mode all port must be licensed, is also OK.

The error you get by the Internal Port are malconfigured Port, but the switchshow apper correct that all port are mapped to.

I configure a AG a couple of mount ago, same you Fabric beetwen MDS 9506 and 4020 and that was very easy, i am little surprised from all this error you get from the Internal Port.

Can you please test follow if possible ?

Disable all Internal Port up to one Port, and configured this Port ( example Port 1 ) to see you get the same error.

Set first "portcfgdefault" of port 1 to delete all config of this port before config now. I don't think that the error is caused by the OUI, but if so... and all other port are disabled this new configured Port 1 must work.

Please give me a Info.

TechHelp24
Anonymous

Hi,

Tried what you asked on Port 1. Now the Locked N_Port = ON and I can not map the port in the Web GUI as I can with all other ports. All other internal ports has Locked N_Port = OFF. How can I fix this so Port 1 can be mapped in the GUI once again ?

I disabled Port 1 as it is not mapped to Port 0 any longer and I can't change it in the GUI. I tried mapping Port 2 to Port 0 and it is giving me error Fabric Login Failed.

Thanks

• UPDATE **

I managed to turn of N_Port Locking on Port 1 so I was able to map it to Port 0 once again. I am still getting "Fabric Login Failed" errors on the Port 1. I have powered off the other switches and disabled all the ports except for Port 0 (external ) and Port 1 (internal). The Brocade port is set to 2GB/s as that is what is enabled on the Cisco side and is showing "Online".

Thoughts?

External Moderator

clasha,

--->>> Thoughts?

No

I am confused about the error "Fabric Login Failed" and this confirm after you have Disable all the Internal Port, that the Problem is not caused by the "UOI"

--->>> I have powered off the other switches.... this is not necessary because both switch work independend.

another idea but i don't think this is the Problem, is the N_Port of the MDS correct set ?

TechHelp24
Anonymous

Hi, well what would you do if this was a new install. Assume SAN-OS is 3.2.3a and Brocade OS is 5.3.0a. What are the steps you would typically follow?

something like:

• From GUI ... Disable switch module

• Enable AG mode

• From GUI....Enable switch module

• GIBCs in Port 0 and Port 15 so map internal ports 1-14 in some order to those external ports

• ....?

what might I be missing that may give me the errors...or is 5.3.0a compatible with 3.2.3a for AG mode ?

Attached is export of AG device list (modified to remove some WWNs).

Thanks

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.