For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Re: Connect host to storage across two intermediate switches.

I believe you don`t understand my problem.

I need longest calbe to connect storage directly to switch2 without switch1. I know how to create zone on switch, I did it many times but I`ve never connected FC switches consequentially.

External Moderator

-> I know how to create zone on switch, 

sorry to say,  then you should know that you cannot ISL TWO switch with different config, this is very simple.

Additional FYI, you open a Threads related to zoning conflict issue and segmented port, as you want to ISL both Switches,

and not with cable question.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

@Antonio Bongiorno TechHelp24 wrote:

-> I know how to create zone on switch, 

sorry to say,  then you should know that you cannot ISL TWO switch with different config, this is very simple.

Additional FYI, you open a Threads related to zoning conflict issue and segmented port, as you want to ISL both Switches,

and not with cable question.

I already said that I`ve never faced situation with two consequentially connected switches, it was always two embedded switches of IBM or HP enclosure, that were not connected to each other. So how should I know about moving them into one fabric?

Close the thread please.

Occasional Contributor

Ok, I`ll describe what I finally get.

There were 2 fabrics with 4 switches each and the zones were segmented.

What I did with each fabric:

1. disconnect all switches from each other.

2. ensure that all switch IDs and domain IDs are different.

3. clear config on the first switch and make the new zone configuration (for this particular switch).

4. clear config on the second switch (totally clean, so there were no alises/zones/configs on it) and connect it to the first switch. Configuration merge happened, so the first switch and the second one have the same config.

5. repeat step 4 for 3d and 4th switches.

6. ensure that "fabricshow" shows the correct number of switches in the fabric (4 switches), ensure that "switchshow" shows no segmented entries, ensure that "cfgshow" on each switch shows the same configuration.

Now fabrics work fine (new added aliases and zones replicate to all switches within a fabric).

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.