For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Collect Switch port WWPNs from 100s of Switches using CLI - python

Hello,

I am trying to develop a python script to collect switchshow or portshow output which includes reflecting WWPNs for F-Ports from more than 400 switches...

I don't understand why in the world, Brocade CLI doesn't allow SED/AWK/TR/CUT but with limited options with GREP and for NPIV, it gets ugly. I am using paramiko to make the ssh connections and generate bulk of data from more than 400 switches. However, is there a easy command then portshow/switchshow to get the reflecting switch port WWPNs or better way to collect such data through CLI? 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Collect Switch port WWPNs from 100s of Switches using CLI - python

1) did you try ssh (or dbclient) admin@switch switchshow | sed ... awk ... tr ... cut ?

2) since you mention python, did you try pyfos?
New Contributor

If the switches are being managed with Brocade Network Advisor (BNA) the best option is to use BNA REST API. You can get all the info conveniently in 1 place and even when new switches are added your script can take notice of them without any further effort.

Regards

Joachim Gann

Occasional Contributor

I believe that should be the option.. however if you have implemented/used REST API, does it collect the AGs as well?
Occasional Contributor

Yes, i tried ssh as you mentioned and used sed/awk/tr etc.. but it will over head with multiple commands of portshow etc.. and pyfos has FOS version limitation...
Occasional Contributor

Nevermind, I tried and it works... however.. it's extremely slow

I am looping on Switches and getting the switch keys, i am looping on fcports and then getting fcpkey, i am looping on enddevices for each port ... it takes more than 14-15 hours for ~400 switches...

is there a better way to get all port reflecting WWPNs (enddevice WWNs) from all switches /ag?

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.