For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

External Moderator

Re: Cisco Nexus 5020 Uplink to Brocade DS 5100

Phil,

NPV is enabled by Default and not necessary to activated to, and the Brocade must be leaved in native mode and not as AG.

TechHelp24
Anonymous

That is incorrect.  NPV has to be enabled on Necus with the followingin switch(config)#:

1."feature fcoe"

2."npv enable"

This will require reboot on the Nexus in older firmware  but will be rebootless in the latest firmware.Make sure to have NPIV enabled on Brocade per port:

1. "portcfgnpivport <port_number>"

On Brocade FOS 6.x or greater, you can not use Nexus and Brocade in Interop mode and therefore has to use the following above.

NOTE:

I also attached a Nexus and MDS example from Cisco. They updated a slide (page 13) to include Brocade, but no specifics.

External Moderator

--->>> That is incorrect.  NPV has to be enabled ....

NPV Interoperability Matrix

Native (NPV enabled)

TechHelp24
Anonymous

Looks like it's for MDS and not Nexus.  In any case, If npv is not enabled on Nexus, you have to enable it.

I recall Cisco saying that the reason it is not enabled by default is because it would make the MDS/SAN part of the Nexus useless (making it a passive switch).  All zoning has to go thru Brocade.

I think let James decide which works or not.

External Moderator

unfortunately some Cisco documentation are very confused....

TechHelp24
Anonymous

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli_rel_4_0_1a/npv.html

Sates the following:

By default, Cisco Nexus 5000 Series switches  operate in fabric mode. In this mode, the switch provides standard Fibre  Channel switching capability and features.

In NPV mode, the edge switch relays all traffic to  the core switch, which provides the Fibre Channel switching  capabilities. The edge switch shares the domain ID of the core switch.

When you enable NPV, the system configuration is  erased and the switch reboots.

Anonymous

Hello TechHelp24 and Phil,

Thank you very much for the stream of ideas and technical advice coming from both of you.  I won't have access to the Nexus 5020 until I have a config (I'm still in the planning stage).  You have certainly provided enough information for me to proceed with writing a draft config.  I will share with you the results of my experiences in the lab once I start working with the 5020 in about a week or two.

In the meantime, keep those ideas/suggestions coming!

--James

External Moderator

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

TechHelp24
Anonymous

Hey James,

do you have any updates on your post? ... we are implementing something similar in our organisation

Liam

Super Contributor

Liam_T,

ISL uplink beetwen Nexus and Brocade is very simple.

If you have more or other question, Create please a new threads, I'll provide to help with the procedure.

Thank You.

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.