For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

External Moderator

Re: Cannot enable ports on Storageworks SAN switch 2/16V

Luis,

really, don't sond good with this Switch, and is not a discussion if this is a "museum rarity" or is not.

please try follow:

from command line, execute the command "savecore -l"     Note ( caracter l = L )

if any dump file is available, please remove with the operand -R

Additional, a BUG was present in old FOS 4.x Release, this bug full the compact Flash.

here is a command syntax available which I at the moment don't remeber, but you must access with "root" credential.

I'll try to find this and coming back.

let me know what happened.

TechHelp24
External Moderator

I found more....

FOS 4..2.0b have a BUG which was closed in FOS 4.4.0b

this BUG caused exactely the problem you get out after power down or reboot.

is also most probable that the switch is not defective, and you need you to Upgrade the FOS.

This FOS release is not longer for Download available, ( BTW: WARNING! don't use or Upgrade to FOS 4.4.0 or FOS 4.4.0a ) in such case you made the switch corrupt.

I've the release in my Lab, but unfortunately at the moment I don't have access to.

TechHelp24
Anonymous

Just great!

I issued the command diagDisablePost, then boot the switch and it come to life again, all ports enabled and system warning go off.

I am agreed with you guys, it´s just a museum rarity, but it is what we have for now and if i think it better, i´m going to cry :smileysad:

Thanks for the help Alexey.

san_hornos:admin> switchshow
switchName: san_hornos
switchType: 26.2
switchState: Online
switchMode: Native
switchRole: Principal
switchDomain: 1
switchId: fffc01
switchWwn: 10:00:00:05:1e:34:3e:31
zoning: OFF
switchBeacon: OFF

Port Media Speed State
=========================
0 id N2 No_Light
1 id N2 No_Light
2 -- N2 No_Module
3 id N2 No_Light
4 id N2 No_Light
5 id N2 No_Light
6 id N2 No_Light
7 id N2 No_Light
8 id N2 No_Light
9 id N2 No_Light
10 id N2 No_Light
11 id N2 No_Light
12 id N2 No_Light
13 id N2 No_Light
14 id N2 No_Light
15 id N2 No_Light
san_hornos:admin>

Thanks!

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Antonio, the switch come to life again like a walking dead after i issue the command diagDisablePost

But whenever you can send me the FOS Upgrade, it will be aprecciated, and i will apply the update.

Thanks!

External Moderator

fine that work :-)

I'm at the moment out of Country, whe I have acces to the FOS Package coming back.

In the meantime try with google for the FOS package, I would suggest to upgrade first to 4.4.0b and the to 5.0.x ->5.1 ->5.2.x

The Switch is Supported until FOS 5.3.2c

TechHelp24
Valued Contributor

glad that it worked!

i apologize for my "museum rarity" joke and i hope you weren't offended. i love myself to play with the old stuff. life often proves that older products were usually built better than new fancy stuff.

but i have some bad news for you. you've disabled the POST (power-on self test) and the switch booted without startup diagnostics. this means that it couldn't pass this diags before, and most likely - because of the hardware issue.

you'll be good to upgrade the FOS as suggested by Antonio. then you might try "diagenablepost" and see if switch would reboot with POST enabled - who knows, maybe new FOS will interpret the test results differently and will enable switch operations after that. if this wouldn't work, you could revert back and disable POST again.

good luck! and i hope you could eventually get yourself something like brocade 300 (maybe a second hand) for a replacement of this gran-daddy :)
Valued Contributor

ps: i'm still curious - do you have SFP module installed in the port #2?
External Moderator

Luis,

follow this URL

ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/eserver/xseries/

at the page end there are TWO FOS package, 4.4.0c and 4.4.1a

here is another package, 5.0.2 but show to me ( from a small MB Size ) this is a special package for Blade Switch, you should not use this 5 Upgrade

TechHelp24
Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, i´m almost new in SAN stuff and didn´t realize about having the diag post disable.

At the moment there is no a SFP module on port #2, but it was, and i try booting the switch with and without the SFP, same results

And I am not offended about museum rarity in any way, just grateful.

And if you think it´s a museum rarity, i better don´t tell the whole history, this museum rarity is to replace a old old old HP 8 ports SAN HUB i think, it can´t be called switch.

Thanks

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

so did i get you right - WITH SFP #2 it was also showing "Port_Flt"? or maybe something else, but clearly different from all other ports?

omg!!! are you talking about A3724A???

http://www.zdtronic.com/images/A3724A.JPG

... i used to work with them before 2000 ... firmware upgrade took around 10-12 hrs via rs-232 using xmodem!!! and i had four of them to upgrade!!!

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.