For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Anonymous

Re: 4100 Switch Help Needed - Newbie!

Hi, OK one week later got a PC in, got it all connected with a straight serial cable, nothing in hyper terminal!!!!

I have everything else plugged in (ethernet, fc leads etc) is that OK?

Is there any other settings in hyper terminal I should be looking at?

HELP!

Anonymous

Are you sure that hyperterminal is set up correctly? Check what the com port is pointing at (com 1 etc). Also, dont worry about your other switch connections, fibre and ethernet, the serial port should still pick up from the switch. If all is ok with the hyperterminal and correct cable, you should be able to just hit the enter key and you will come up with the switch logon output to your screen.

Anonymous

nope nothing (

It just hangs there? The cable I went I brought was a Null modem straight serial cable - Correct?

Anonymous

I think you will find a null modem cable is not straight through. Null modem cable will not work.

Anonymous

Hi John, OK I am in ))

Default passwords etc worked fine.

So now I can see everything in the web browser, what would be my first steps to getting my Apple raid and xserve all talking through it?

Anonymous

Hi Rich, good to see your in. Keep that null modem cable, if you ever get any McData legacy switches, it will work for them.

You may want to configure your switch, especially if in the future you are going to add other switches and make a Fabric. If this is the case, send me your email address and I will send you some documentation which may help.

But if you are just having the 1 switch, and you dont care what other devices any device sees (an all to all type of environment), then I would log into the switch, and as you purchased it second hand, clear any zoning configurations that may have been left on.

Do this by entering "zoneshow" to firstly see if there is a zone configuration. Also a "switchshow" will show zoning on or off.

Then if there is any zone configuration there, "cfgdisable" to disable the zone config, "cfgclear" you should then see a prompt of something like "are you sure?" answer "yes" and then "cfgsave". Your switch will now be clean of zone configurations and all ports will be available to all ports.

If you have connected your devices into the switch, try a "switchshow", and you should see any device HBA (Host Bus Adapter) WWN (World Wide Name) listed on the ports you have connected them to. If there are devices you want to keep separate, you will need to create a configuration and zone the devices. If this is the case, let me know and I will send you details on zoning.

The 4100 is a physically 32 port switch, but could have been supplied with only the first 16 ports active, these would be port 0 through to 15: the first 2 port groups. So also check with the switchshow which ports are available for you, you should also see from the lights on the front panel. Any not available will require P O D license to activate. (Port On Demand). But it sounded like 16 ports would probably be enough for you. There would be 2 POD licenses to make your switch a 32 port switch, upgrade in blocks of 8.

As far as any Hosts connected to the switch are concerned, they will think they are connected directly to their target devices, and will be unaware of any SAN connectivity.

Hope this helps... let me know how you get on.

Cheers - John.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Think,

You will need a serial port on your laptop or PC.  If you don't have a serial port to connect to on your Windows PC with a HyperTerminal program, (Windows 7 did away with the HyperTerminal program), then you will need to get a Serial to USB adapter and you can replace the HyperTerminal program with one like NetTerm (free trial donwload for Windows).  You will need to install the Drivers for that, too.  Once this is done, you will have to check the Windows assigned serial port number for that from the Device Manager under ports, then setup HyperTerminal according to that serial port. Use the modem setting 9600-8-N-1-None and VT100 emulation.  Most Brocade Switches use a Straight-Through Serial Cable (not null modem or direct PC-to-PC serial cable).  You can make a straight-through serial cable by assigning the following female to female connectors as 2-2, 3-3, 5-5 or just buy one and make sure it is a straight-through serial cable only.

Join the Broadcom Support Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.