Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

• 1.  SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

Posted Nov 03, 2009 07:03 PM

Hi all,

Witch  SNAC Enforcers (LAN and Gateway) we can do a lot of very nice things, for example we can check that there is a firewall or antivirus on a client...
    for other vendors its depends but when we check that there is a SEP/SNAC client... we can alsow check and start FW and AV... ussing command line

so the question is...
    how to start AV or FW (Network Treat Protection) on SEP/SNAC Client from command line (CLI)?

of course "smc -start" doesnt solve a problem, I need to start FW or AV, not a SEP engine itself.
    so anybody know how to do it?

kind Regards and thanks for help
    Dawid Fusek
    IT Security Consultant
    COMP SA

• 2.  RE: SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

Posted Nov 03, 2009 10:14 PM
    SMC-stop n Start , should do the trick to stop n start the complete SEP Package

AFAIK, If you want to disable individual components, you can use the settings of each component.
    If you stop Symantec Endpoint protection service, then AV will be stopped

Coz All the components are interlinked with SMC Process.
    untitled.JPG

• 3.  RE: SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

Posted Nov 04, 2009 03:42 AM
    yep, its part of workaround, but for a while we disable all security features on the client which is not a very secure sollution for me.
    But is a workaround, if You know any command line to start some feature only (like av or fw) gimme an info,

thanks
    Dave 

• 4.  RE: SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

Posted Nov 04, 2009 03:52 AM

Are you looking for such a document?

This document will give you some MSI command line options which help you for installing sep with certain features

MSI command line reference for Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0

• 5.  RE: SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

Posted Nov 04, 2009 09:50 AM
    its nice document AravindKM but it not reffer to my question/problem,

I need to check that SEP with SNAC firewall and antivirus is running and if not start it separetaly or both (for example to start only AV if it is not running or to start only FW if it is not running).

this doc is rader useful to deploying or modificying SEP/SNAC installations, its useful but I need something to enable (start) SEP firewall or antivirus probably from commandline (maybe there is another way to do it?)

reg
    Dave

• 6.  RE: SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

Posted Nov 05, 2009 06:08 AM

For disabling NTP from SEPM console

<o p=""> </o>

1.In the console, click Clients, and then under View Clients, select the group

that includes computers for which you want to enable/disable NTP.

2 In the right pane, select the Clients tab.

3 Do one of the following actions:

In the left pane, under View Clients, right-click the group for which you

want to enable Auto-Protect.

In the right pane, on the Clients tab, select the computers and users for

which you want to enable Auto-Protect, and then right-click the selection.

4 Click one of the following commands:

Run Command on Group > Enable Network threat protection

Run Command on Clients > Enable Network threat protection

Same way you can disable it also

More informations regarding command line options you can find in Appendix A of admin guide.. 

• 7.  RE: SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

Posted Nov 06, 2009 03:24 AM
    I hope this is wat u are expecting, u can use the following in cmd prompt
    i hope you have not enabled Password requirement to do the same.

I think by stopping SMC alone, AV will still function. (u can test by using eicar)
    SMC _STOP

If you want to stop AV alone the use
    net stop "symantec Antivirus"

• 8.  RE: SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

Posted Nov 07, 2009 12:33 PM
    so AravindKM, I need a sollution to do a command line commands not a commands via SEPM Console :)

Acertian, which version of SEP U test? in MR5 and probably MR4 there is no Symantec AntiVirus Service (there is a service Symantec Endpoint Protection)...and there is no strict one service to Network Treat Protection (I dont know such one),
    so We have situation when we just can't start a service to FW(NTProt) and AV (if service called Symantec Endpoint Protection is started) AV can be disabled (teoretically, in fact I never test it is true disabled :P)

list of services in SEP Agent MR5 (5003):
    1. Symantec Endpoint Protection (formally Symantec AntiVirus)
    2. Symantec Event Manager (formally ccEvtMgr)
    3. Symantec Management Client (formally SmcService)
    4. Symantec Network Access Control (formally SNAC)
    5. Symantec Settings Manager (formally ccSetMgr)

my question was... 
    how to start AV Engine or FW (NTProt) Engine in SEP separetally from command line commands, so how to convert to commands action like this:
    1. on SEP Agent GUI U click on Antivirus Protection Options and choose Enable Antivirus and Antispyware Protection
    2. on SEP Agent GUI U click on Network Threat Protection Options and choose Enable Network Threat Protection

slowly Im going to beleve that there is no such command that can be send via cli...

regards
    Dave

• 9.  RE: SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

Posted Nov 09, 2009 12:08 AM
     For your Firewall and AV ( file system autoprotect)  just create a script to change these reg values.

In the registry, check the value at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\smc_engine_status. If it's 0 (zero) NTP is disabled, if it's 1 (one) NTP is enabled.

File System Auto-Protect

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARESymantecSymantec EndpointProtectionAVStoragesFilesystemRealTimeScan

OnOff : 1- means enabled 0 - means disabled

• 10.  RE: SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

Posted Nov 09, 2009 02:58 AM

I tested this in MR4
    In that case try using Net Stop "Symantec Endpoint Protection" to stop AV alone and check the same.. i'm not sure though., i'll try to upgrade and check

• 11.  RE: SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

Posted Nov 09, 2009 10:49 AM
     Net Stop "Symantec Antivirus" will stop SEP service

For the Firewall Teefer2 Miniport service is responsible but it does not accept stop or puase command it only accepts Start command..
    So for the firewall 

Try this
    C:\>REGINI HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Syma
    ymantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\smc_engine_status = REG_DWORD 0x00000000
    to turn off
    C:\>REGINI HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Syma
    ymantec Endpoint Protection\SMC\smc_engine_status = REG_DWORD 0x00000001

to turn it back ON...

• 12.  RE: SNAC/SEP Client - how to enable or disable FW and AV from command line (CLI)?

Posted Nov 09, 2009 07:38 PM
    Vikram Kumar,

good to know this 2 values, but...
    do You test it?

I change smc_engine_status from regedit... wait 5mins... nothing happens :( its just a value that service/application write but it looks like nothing check this value when its run (or no), so no changes are made until U do "smc -stop"  and then "smc -start", but as I said before I dont want to:
    - doing smc -stop on clients
    - doing it as a script on clients
    - i have customers with a lot of clients... (5000+)

so its not a sollution Vikram, hmm, but there have to be a possibility to do same command as SEPM Console do to a client when admin click on a client and send command to enable or disable NTProt or AVProt, hmm, but how? its a command, but maybe not a commandline command ??

kind regards
    Dave