Expand all | Collapse all

Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Migration User

Migration UserMay 05, 2010 07:27 AM

Migration User

Migration UserMay 05, 2010 07:30 AM

• 1.  Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 04, 2010 07:25 AM
    Pls specify the difference between  the above two. But mine question is, symantec licensing portal is used to extract a file key of a particular product/package........ Pls tell me if am wrong... And file connect is used for what..... I believe they both work hand in hand, but how..... Pls help

• 2.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 04, 2010 08:03 AM
    As far as I know License Portal is for the things which is related ti licensing.File connect is for downloading the softwares like Endpoint protection.

• 3.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 04, 2010 08:22 AM
    Licensing portal is used to register and get license files for the products those require license files to be installed. Like Symantec Mail Security and Symantec Antivirus.

Fileconnect web site is used to download all Symantec products. Like Endpoint Protection Mail Security, Backup Exec etc.

• 4.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 04, 2010 10:17 AM

Licensing.symantec.com is where you can perform registration and activating your Symantec Product. This is where you generate your license key and license files.
    You can also accomplish upgrade through this site using a Version Notification Id.

Below are the steps you can perform in then Licensing Portal.

To Generate License:
    1. Navigate to the following URL: https://licensing.symantec.com
    2. Log in to your account (or create a new account)
    3. Click "New and Renewal purchase"
    4. Input your Serial Number and click "Add"
    5. Verify the information is correct and click "Next"
    6. Complete the registration information
    7. If needed, add additional email addresses for the license file to be emailed
    8. Edit the technical contact or add an additional technical contact
    9. Click "Complete Registration"

To Upgrade License:
    1. Navigate to the following URL:https://licensing.symantec.com
    2. Log in to your account (or create a new account)
    3. Click "Version Upgrade"
    4. Input your Version Upgrade ID:  xxxxxxxx and click "View Upgrades"
    5. Verify the information is correct and click "Upgrade"
    6. Complete the registration information
    7. If needed, add additional email addresses for the license file to be emailed
    8. Edit the technical contact or add an additional technical contact
    9. Click "Complete Registration"

Fileconnect.symantec.com
     is where you download your software using an MXXXXXXXXXX serial number.

Hope this resolve your Issue! angle

• 5.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 04, 2010 11:21 AM

how about situations were one has to go to fileconnect to get the latest RU..... So my question is after registering the serial number and it happens that the said workstation is not support ... or put is this way... i want to install SEP on windows 7 and its says its not compatable... so my guess is i have to go to file connect or what....... Also i'd like know, if the OS is not compartable, after going to file connect what do i do... Pls will someone Give me a Sequential procedure of installing SYmantec Protection Center On windows 7.. after having a compatibility issue... awaiting your reply....

• 6.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 04, 2010 11:42 AM

If you have Windows 7, you can go to fileconnect and download SEP 11.0.6, that version is compatible with your OS.

Do you have your serial number (Mxxxxxxxxxx) for SEP? You need that in order to login to fileconnect.

https://fileconnect.symantec.com

• 7.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 04, 2010 11:50 AM
    One more thing, SEP 11.0 doesn't need a license key/file.

• 8.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 04, 2010 03:47 PM
    https://licensing.symantec.com - Licensing Portal: this is site is where you obtain new purchase and/or upgrade license keys/files of a product by registering your serial number or VUN (version upgrade notification). It also allows you to download software when you click the link "software download" which directs you to fileconnect website. https://fileconnect.symantec.com - Fileconnect (download site): this is the "DIRECT" customer site where to download your software. If the software is no longer available for download in Licensing Portal, this is the website that you need. I hope I was able to provide that information that you are looking for, please tag this as solution if I answered all your question.

• 9.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 04, 2010 04:00 PM
    If there is a latest RU available you can download it to fileconnect website but it is situational. If you have not installed any version of SEP on the computer you go to fileconnect to download the full version software. If you have installed a particular version of SEP on the machine then you go to patches website: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/downloads.jsp?pid=54619 Regarding the installation, you can visit this site: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/documentation.jsp?language=english&doctype=howto&pid=54619 to find some tips on how to: Configure, Install, Manage, Monitor and etc., regarding Symantec Endpoint Protection.

• 10.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 04, 2010 05:48 PM

The License Portal is the registration site. This is where you register your serial number (for new purchase and renewals) and Upgrade Notification ID (for upgrades). The main purpose of registration is to get the license key/file and for record keeping.

Fileconnect is the download site. This site only requires the serial number to login.

There's a link to Fileconnect in the License Portal.

If your issue is just to get the software, you can just go directly to fileconnect.

• 11.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 05, 2010 01:23 AM
    The SEP 11.0.5000.33(RU5) and above is compactable with Windows 7.How ever you will get an error saying that this product is not compactable error normally when you are trying to install SEP 32 bit package in 64 bit or SEP 64 bit package in 32 bit OS.If your OS is 32 bit install sep which is present in cd1\sep and if your OS is 64 bit install SEP from cd1\SEPWin64 .You can also export both 64 and 32 bit packages from your SEPM

• 12.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 05, 2010 04:20 AM

i think you guys are misunderstanding my question... let me put it this way...since i know my SPC is not compatable with OS.. so the question is, do i have to install the SPC on my OS while it gives me the error message or i go to file connect to download something with my serial number... what i want to know is, since i know my OS is not compatable with SPC do i have to still download the SPC installation on the Said OS or i have to go to file connect first to download the patches... Pls tell me which one comes first. Also i need sequential details. i believe this will explain my situation......

• 13.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 05, 2010 04:25 AM
    Am bit confused now(I think you had seen by earlier comment https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-license-portal-vs-file-connect#comment-3925771).You are trying to install SEP11.0 or SBE 12.0?
    Do you want to install server software or client software?

• 14.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 05, 2010 05:40 AM

SBE that is what i want to install... but what ever the case may be..am not saying i have a problem with the installation ohhk.. but i read some thread here which was saying, if your SBE or what ever is having compatibily issues, you should go to file connect... but my question is...do i go to file connect first or i go to licensing protal...... pls explain in details...

• 15.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 05, 2010 06:20 AM
    SBE 12 RU1 is compactable with windows 7
    Ref:Release notes for Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12.0.x
    Go to fileconnect and supply the product sl. no for downloading SBE software.

• 16.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 05, 2010 07:10 AM
    okay let me put my question this way.. what is the purpose of file connect????????????

• 17.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 05, 2010 07:27 AM
    file connect is the site were you can download SBE

• 18.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 05, 2010 07:30 AM
    Have a look at this comment 

• 19.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 05, 2010 09:03 AM
    As I have mentioned in my previous comment that fileconnect is for downloading product.

• 20.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 05, 2010 09:34 AM

File Connect (download Site) is where you can directly download softwares that you need. Licensing portal (Registration Site) is where you register your licenses for you to get license file/key if you need it for activation.

In the licensing portal, after registering you licenses there is a link  (get software) where, if you click that link you will be directed to fileconnect to download the software.

You may go to fileconnect first to download the software or you can also go first to the Licensing Portal to register your licenses or vise versa.

• 21.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 05, 2010 11:41 AM
    are you saying with file connect, SBE 5user installation CD is irrelevant if it not compartable with my OS?????????

• 22.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 05, 2010 12:46 PM
    Its not really irrelevant, you just need to download the correct software which is compatible with your OS. You may call our sales department at 1-800-745-6054 option 3 for compatibility query or call customer care ( Licensing Department) at 1-800-721-3934 option 2.

• 23.  RE: Symantec License Portal Vs File Connect

Posted May 06, 2010 02:38 AM
    If you go to fileconnect you will get only latest version of the software normally.So if you go to fileconnect you will get SEP SBE RU1 only.It is compactable  to windows 7smiley.You just jo to fileconnect now you will get the software.(You can download multiple times same product don,t worry if something goes wrong alsowink,it should not happen in this case.)