Workflow Soluiton

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Timeout Errors

• 1.  Timeout Errors

Posted Sep 30, 2014 04:56 PM

Hello,

It seems like timeouts arent working for me.  I have my timeouts set in my dialogs but the pages dont adhere to the values.  Is there anything i can check to make sure timeouts are working properly?

System.Web.HttpUnhandledException: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.Exception: The dialog session '7dz6olK41kWK795hgl_LNw' is not valid or the session has timed out
       at LogicBase.Core.Models.Dialog.DialogSession.Load(HttpContext context, String sessionName)
       at LogicBase.Core.Models.Dialog.ComposerForm.OnPreInit(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at ASP.form_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

• 2.  RE: Timeout Errors

Posted Sep 30, 2014 05:20 PM

locate this setting in your Local Machine Info settings (right-click the task tray icon and click Settings):

2014-09-30_15-11-30.png

if this value is checked, timeouts will not be processed.  i'm not sure the error you included is related to this problem, but i could be mistaken.

-andrew

• 3.  RE: Timeout Errors

Posted Sep 30, 2014 07:42 PM

I validated that check box is unchecked, anything else i can look at?

• 4.  RE: Timeout Errors

Posted Sep 30, 2014 07:50 PM

restart the Workflow service on your workflow server before doing any more testing.  this service can hit snags from time to time and timeouts no longer process.

check the web.config file for your project and validate this setting:

<symantec.workflow>
        <workflow runTimeoutsAndEscalations="true" minEscalationTime="30" />

if you need to adjust the web.config, do an iisreset for good measure, restart the Workflow service again, then try again.

unfortunately there's the possibility that some of your tasks are corrupt as well and are preventing timeouts from being processed properly.  

-andrew

• 5.  RE: Timeout Errors

Posted Oct 08, 2014 10:56 AM

I verified all these settings and did as you asked, but i am still seeing this error through out the day.  How else can I troubleshoot this?

• 6.  RE: Timeout Errors

Posted Oct 08, 2014 12:45 PM

Try looking for this node in the web.config of the project and boosting it if there

<httpruntime executiontimeout="blah" >

If that doesn't work it might be a setting in IIS that needs tweaking.

• 7.  RE: Timeout Errors

Posted Oct 08, 2014 07:31 PM

hmm i dont have that entry in my webconfig, can this be the problem?

Here is what i have for that element.

<httpRuntime useFullyQualifiedRedirectUrl="true" maxRequestLength="2097151" />

• 8.  RE: Timeout Errors

Posted Oct 08, 2014 07:52 PM

I'm under the impression that jdeleon is having issues with timeouts and escalations not being processed, not that his web pages or processes are timing out.  

• 9.  RE: Timeout Errors

Posted Dec 05, 2014 06:41 PM

does anyone else have any input on this? manually tested a workflow with a 1 minute timeout and the timeout process didnt kick off.

• 10.  RE: Timeout Errors

Posted Dec 05, 2014 07:22 PM
    you may have a busted process in queue preventing processes from maturing as intended. It may be best handled by a support call to sort it out.

• 11.  RE: Timeout Errors

Posted Dec 08, 2014 12:30 PM

I browsed to my projects WorkflowManagementService.asmx page and manually kicked off the checkescalations and timeouts.

All my backlogged timeouts ran and new timeouts are running.

Does anyone have an explanation ? lol

• 12.  RE: Timeout Errors

Posted Dec 17, 2014 02:24 PM

I imagine it's supposed to have something to do with Auto Start and/or Auto Initialize.  The Symantec fellows could probably speak better to it, but here's a post from AnaMan from 2012:

Auto Initialize option is responsible for automatic loading a proces [sic] models (from *.model project files) into memory, deserializing them and transforming into execution objects. Its purpose is to shorten the time needed for response during first request directed to process after it was published or restarted. 

In theory...

Because this functionality seems does not work. I have done many tests and I've never got any sign that auto loading of models had occured.

I did some tests and found that whether I had Auto Start and Auto Initialize checked or not, there was some app pool polling that's going on behind the scenes that eventually picks up the monitoring test project I published.

By manually invoking the web service as you did, you forced a recompile, and thereafter it should repeat on the schedule as intended.

Here's some more info, again, from 2012, from reecardo:

Auo-initialize [sic], I believe, just preloads the flow into memory. I always have it checked, but I don't think it's required.

Another, from 2009 (reecardo):

Auto Initialize, in a sense, "preloads" your project in the workflow engine. It's probably not on by default for the reason of having multiple WFs "preloaded" on a server could be pretty memory-intensive.

Also, here's an interesting read from what seems to be an old, obscure text from the 6.x-7.0 days:

...set the project to Auto-Initialize under the Publishing tab.  This will force the project to be recompiled automatically when IIS is restarted and periodically if it is detected that the project is not initialized already.  This is a per-project setting.  This doesn't remove the .NET requirement that the project be initialized, but it makes it much less likely that a user accessing the site will end up waiting for this process to complete.

And last, but perhaps most helpful, from stuper2 in 2010:

If you rt click on the task tray man and pick 'Settings' you'll find a section called "Worfklow Server Configuration" 

On the next popup you'll find "Auto Trigger Info" and "Manual Setup Info" back to back.  

These two things participate in auto start workflows.  Under Auto Trigger Info you'll find the polling interval (default 1440) that the tool uses to actually look for new auto start workflows that haven't been previously found.  On restart (as Mr. Rob M) describes, this is run so restarting the Workflow Server service effectively resets this timer and voila, your auto start gets found and registered.

Alternatively you could shrink this auto poll interval OR, add your auto start project to the list of manually triggered projects at which point the auto registration is irrelevant.