File Share Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Migration User

Migration UserMar 30, 2016 12:51 PM

• 1.  PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Aug 21, 2015 02:54 PM

I was just notified that Windows 10 was available for me to download.  The pre-installation check produced a message saying that I would need to remove PGP Desktop because it is not compatible with Windows 10.  Is this true?  I've got PGP Desktop 9.10.0 Build 500.  Is there an upgrade which is compatible with Windows 10.

Rhett Bartley

• 2.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Aug 23, 2015 10:16 PM

Hi RhettBartley,

Windows 10 is compatible with Encryption Desktop Powered by PGP version 10.3.2 MP10. You can first upgrade the PGP and then upgrade the OS. Please find the article below -

http://www.symantec.com/docs/INFO2674

• 3.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Jan 05, 2016 02:23 PM

10.3.2 MP11 whole disk encryption is not workign with WIndows 10. I add the passphrase users, click the button to encrypt the disk, and Windows crashes with an error: "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED". Next time I opened PGP, none of the users were in the list and the same thing happens every time I try again.

• 4.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Jan 06, 2016 06:06 AM

Spitty,

Interestingly I got exactly this result last night. Identical to your description.

Please post if you make any more progress on this!

I was just googling to see if it might be related to the different BIOS boot modes, but looks like a red herring so far.

Robert

• 5.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Jan 06, 2016 09:11 AM

No progress so far. Started with MP10, same issue. Upgraded to MP11 and the issue remained. Uninstalled/reinstalled, nothign seems to fix it yet.

• 6.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Jan 08, 2016 02:54 PM

Re-partitioned, formatted, installed WIndows 10 Home and Pro, same results with each version.

• 7.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Jan 14, 2016 09:17 AM

Robert, does the machine your using have one of those new M.2 SSD drives in it? Both PGP and Bitlocker are failing on this machine. If I use Bitlocker, the TPM cannot unlock the drive.

• 8.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Jan 14, 2016 11:51 AM

Having major problems with Windows 10. I have added several items to this thread, and now I tried SEE 11.1.0. Once I installed that, my computer no longer booted (just to a black screen) and I had to reformat/install Winodws 10.

• 9.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Jan 25, 2016 03:22 PM

We also just ran into this issue. We are on MP11. it seriously trashed the machine, a Surface 4. I could get into the BIOS, but could not manipulate TPM or SecureBoot settings. THe machine would boot, screen flashed erratically and then a message about SecureBoot.

Through some miracle I was able to get the machine to respond to PXE so I could re-image it. I enabled ipv6 for PXE and then was able to disable SecureBoot, which was an odd fix, but it worked.

Hope this gets resolved.

• 10.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Jan 25, 2016 04:18 PM

It is a Surface Pro 4. It does have an SSD drive but I'm not entirely sure of the specifics.

Bitlocker works fine on this machine however.....

• 11.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Jan 25, 2016 04:21 PM

Sounds horribly similar to my experience. I ended up rebuilding from a bootable USB image.

In the end I had to give up using PGP WDE - ended up with Bitlocker (with local rather than Microsoft accounts in an effort to avoid the key living in the cloud), and with PGP Virtual Disks for the most sensitive content.

Hardly ideal, however.....

Robert

• 12.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Jan 26, 2016 02:11 PM

I tried on an older non-UEFI machine, and it worked. Still could not get it to work on the new machine, even with UEFI disabled. I think it has something to do with TPM incompatibility.

Can anyone verify what types of hard drives they were using? The new machine has one of those new M.2 style SSDs, no other machine in my environment has one of those to test on.

• 13.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Mar 28, 2016 03:28 PM

Reviving this thread....it seems that MP12 doesn't fix the ability to encrypt the Surface 4 with NVMe drives. We upgraded the Universal Server and got a new package (10.3.2.21436) and then attempted encryption....and bricked the Surface 4. Anyone else have the same issues, still?

• 14.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 30, 2016 04:19 AM

hi tloenhorst,

MP12 resolves the problem, but there are few considerations to review. See:

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH233421.html

• 15.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Mar 30, 2016 09:26 AM

Thank you. Yeah, I already read that article. We did a full out of the box recovery with the Microsoft recovery image for the Surface 4 and now we're stuck where we are unable to PXE the machine to image it. We had MP12 on this tablet previously and wanted to see if we could re-image again. We're getting a BSOD when loading the PXE image, which worked previously.

• 16.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 30, 2016 10:11 AM

I suggest you opening a formal case with Symantec Support so the issue can be analyzed.

• 17.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Mar 30, 2016 12:51 PM

Yes, will do.

• 18.  RE: PGP Desktop not compatible with Windows 10?

Posted Jul 15, 2016 12:35 PM

Does 10.3.2 need do be purchased separately or is an upgrade of some kind available?