Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  Client deployment failed

Posted May 27, 2011 03:43 AM

Hello,

I am using SEP 11.0.6 installed on W2k8 R2. and want to deploy clients trough SEP Management Console. I can search the client and they appear in the Unmanaged Computers tab. Then i choose the install package and policy and hit the Start Installation button. In a few second the Deployment status turned to Failed.

I read many forums anf blogs about this problem. At the client side in the C:\Temp folder don't appear the sep_inst.log. So the files dont even get copied to the client. I can't find any windows events on server and client relating to thi problem. I also allready disabled the Use Sharing Wizard (formerly knowned as Simple File sharing).

I ran out of options how to solve this. Any help is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Bastiaan

• 2.  RE: Client deployment failed

Posted May 27, 2011 08:04 AM

The log won't be under C:\Temp

it will be under %temp% you can try doing a search for it.

• 3.  RE: Client deployment failed

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 27, 2011 09:49 AM

Hello,

Ports required by Find Unmanaged Computers

Either TCP port 139 or 445 need to be open for the installation package to be delivered to the remote computer. If UDP port 137 is closed, the Endpoint Protection Manager will not be able to list the hostname of the computer during the initial scan. (Though deployment can still be carried out by manually entering the IP address of the prospective client.)

Check this:

About the Find Unmanaged Computers function in Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

Also, check: 

Deploying client software using "Find Unmanaged Computers" in Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) fails without error messages

Unable to install SEP client on Windows 7 from Windows 2008 R2 server by using the Find Unmanaged Computers in a Domain.

• 4.  RE: Client deployment failed

Posted May 27, 2011 12:11 PM

What is the OS of the client to which you are trying to deploy?

Any errors or warnings when you use the pre-install check using the SEP Support Tool on the client?

The Symantec Endpoint Protection Support Tool
    http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH105414

sandra

• 5.  RE: Client deployment failed

Posted May 31, 2011 05:17 AM

@ Vikram: I also looked under %temp% but it is  not there.

@ Mithun: These ports of the firewall are allready open. We use a older version of SEP MC and this one can instal the agent on the clients.

@ Sandra: The OS of the clients is 2008 R2 and 2008. I did not used a preinstall tool on the client. Still the older SEP MC can deploy to these clients.

• 6.  RE: Client deployment failed

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 31, 2011 09:13 AM

search for sep_inst.log on drive. If not present you need to create .msi and parameters to generate the log file.

• 7.  RE: Client deployment failed

Trusted Advisor
    Posted May 31, 2011 09:27 AM

Hello,

Vista Machines, Check this Article:

Cannot install Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 to computers running Windows Vista when using the 'Find Unmanaged Computers' tool

• 8.  RE: Client deployment failed
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 31, 2011 09:27 AM

• 9.  RE: Client deployment failed

Posted Jun 06, 2011 05:27 AM

Chetan,

Excellent! This is the answer!

Regards,

Bastiaan