Endpoint Protection

View Only

Creating Application Control Exclusions in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 

Jun 24, 2013 11:55 AM

Here come the ADC's...

Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 and 12.1 have a fantastic feature called Application and Device Control (ADC).  Administrators can use this optional SEP component to block an unwanted process, whether it is a suspicious/malicious application or just a tool that admins would rather not have their managed endpoints running.  It can also be used to block unauthorized devices (USB thumb drives, smartphones, and so on).  Here is an overview article about ADC:

About application and device control
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO27048 

SEP 12.1 brought a couple of important ADC enhancements: it can now be used with 64-bit OS's, and there is now the ability to create an exception that will apply only to ADC and leave AntiVirus Auto-Protect functioning.  This article illustrates one instance in which this new Application Control exclusion enabled SEP 12.1 to interact with a legacy software component crucial to an important customer's business.

An Important Warning

Please Note! ADC is a powerful security tool.  If misconfigured, it can prevent important Windows processes from executing- potentially turning computers into big, heavy paperweights.  USE APPLICATION AND DEVICE CONTROL WITH CAUTION!

Ask Mr. Computer Science Guy

Application Control works by injecting a Symantec library (sysfer.dll) into every process launched on controlled SEP clients. This library monitors key process function calls.  It can allow, deny and/or log process activity, depending on how the administrator has configured it.

Using the excellent Process Monitor tool from Sysinternals, it is possible to see the SYSFER.DLL module in a sample process...

SYSFER_HERE.png

Sysfer usually gets along well with other programs on a computer.  Historically, there have been some instances where there was a conflict.  As there are countless software programs developed every day by coders of mixed ability, there will doubtless be conflicts in the future.  Let me provide an example...

CRASH!

A legacy web application had been working for many years.  After SEP 12.1 RU2 was installed onto computers, however, it stopped functioning.  Application and Device Control was one of the SEP components deployed.  Tests confirmed that after this component was removed, the old application could function.

The Windows event logs contained Application Errors like the following:   

[date][time] Application Error Application Error win7.domain.local     1000 
Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 8.0.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce79912
Faulting module name: jvm.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x42527311
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00050b58
Faulting process id: 0x6a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce4d5a8b411f08
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~1\Oracle\JINITI~1.22\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll

Report Id: d403dc08-b94d-11e2-b198-0019b90b7215

This custom web application was built to rely upon Oracle's Jinitiator, a JVM discontinued in January 2008.  In the long term, a new web application would be written to replace it.  In the short term, though, if business was to continue it would be necessary to find a workaround- hopefully one that did not mean removing ADC from the endpoints completely.

Solution!

There was no way that Jinitiator could be updated as it was no longer under development.  If there was to be a way around the incompatibility, it would have to come from the SEP side.

The administrator logged into the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) console and clicked on Policies, Exceptions.  A new Exception was added to the policy that was deployed to all the affected clients.  This new File Exception was created not for the module which was crashing (C:\PROGRA~1\Oracle\JINITI~1.22\bin\hotspot\jvm.dll) but created for the application which launched that module - C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. 

exception_policy_1.jpg

Note that the exception / exclusion was created for Application Control alone.  "Security Risk" and "SONAR" were not checked- meaning that there were still robust protection technologies monitoring IE and protecting it against evilness. 

Once this policy was in place on the SEP clients, the legacy application functioned and ADC was protecting every process on the computer except for Internet Explorer. 

One note: as a general security best practice, it is best not to tick “Also exclude child processes.” Check if the application works with this unticked.  

Tell Me More!  

Details on ADC and creation of exclusions can be found in the following articles:

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1 - Application and Device Control (ADC) - Policies explained
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH188597 

Creating Centralized Exceptions Policies in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH183201 

Excluding a file or a folder from scans
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80920 

Excluding applications from application control
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55212 

Best Practices for Deploying Symantec Endpoint Protection's Application and Device Control Policies
Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH181679

How to block or allow device's in Symantec Endpoint Protection
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/how-block-or-allow-devices-symantec-endpoint-protection

Many thanks for reading!  Please do leave comments and feedback below.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Dec 16, 2014 11:55 AM

As mentioned above, there's a very large thread over at the VirtualBox forums addressing this at their end:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=64777

With a few rare exceptions on a few machines, it looks like just about every version of VirtualBox after 4.3.12 has been unable to work with SEP.

On the whole, this has been a disaster for a great many developers and has been an ongoing issue for months.  Has there been any cooperation between Symantec and Oracle on fixing this?  VirtualBox is likely the most widely used virtualization software (that's free), and it may be more appealing to users to find a different AV solution rather than dish out money for VMWare licenses.

Nov 19, 2014 09:57 AM

Sadly although it works in 4.3.16 with SEP 12.1.5, the subsequent 4.3.18 release (and 4.3.19 test builds) have broken it again. Not all companies allow clients to adjust ADC settings, so can I ask Symantec and Oracle to work together to fix this. The bug has now been around since July 2014, and was briefly fixed, but is now broken again. I've posted lots of details for the developers at Oracle at the forums. Please work with them to get this resolved.

Oct 08, 2014 01:29 AM

Installing the current latest 4.3.16 fixed it for me.

Sep 04, 2014 07:23 AM

Shouldn't need the security risk folder exception, only the ADC exception.

Sep 04, 2014 12:09 AM

Hi...

After installing VirtualBox 4.3.14, i had my VirtualBox can not open, and after adding ADC policy, my VirtualBox can running well. Or if you not sure add too on Exception policy.

VB_allow.png

VB_allow_0.png

Aug 25, 2014 10:16 AM

Hi Guys,

just wanted to share our experience with that Virtualbox issue. After creating the following exception and reinstalling Virtualbox everything seems to work fine.

Virtualbox_Exception.png

Aug 08, 2014 05:03 AM

We are having issues with installing Version 4.3.14. The only option for us is to downgrade to 4.3.12 for now. Any updates symantec?

Jul 24, 2014 12:12 PM

We are having the same issue with Virtualbox 4.3.13. Version 4.3.12 does not have this issue. I have turned off ADC, made exceptions, even installed it before installing SEP and it fails. Current solution is to downgrade to 4.3.12 for now.

Jul 19, 2014 12:29 PM

Me too, too.

I've attempted installing VirtualBox-4.3.14-95030-Win on separate Win 7 Pro and Windows 8 (8, not 8.1) systems.  Both systems give errors concerning SEP12 Application and Device Protection.  Only "solution" working for me until now is to downgrade to VirtualBox-4.3.12-93733-Win.

Jul 17, 2014 09:38 AM

Me too. Same problem with latest VirtualBox 4.3.14-95030 and SEP 12.1.1101.401, RU1 MP1.

Even with ADC not enabled.

I will take it from you @TeamPcConnect that there is no work-around, and I am hosed for this night.

Unfortunately was moving from VirtBox 4.3.12 to try to get around a problem. Now I have 2 versions that both don't work. Great...

Why, oh why, oh why doesn't disabling (or even exception-ing) ADC stop the dll injection? Wouldn't that be eminently sensible?

P.S. Exact same screen shot for me as @steaktornado.

Given the title of the Window, this would appear to be VirtualBox doing it's own protection against 'bad guys', and unfortunately detecting SEP ADC in 'no-op' mode. (An injected DLL is suspicious no matter which way you look at it...)

EDIT: In fact, confirmed as much at this very active thread at the VirtualBoc forums: (Follow the link therein)

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=62618

Jul 17, 2014 04:25 AM

We have this problem with VirtualBox 4.3.14-95030 too an d we find no solution (add exception...) to run it.  Switch back to VirtualBox 4.3.12-93733 and everything is fine...

Tested with: SEP 12.1.4013.4013, up-to-date Win 8.1

Jul 16, 2014 11:59 AM

Yeah, I assumed the DLL is still being injected even if the policy is off.  Our sysadmin is creating a client without the ADC component, so that should work in this case.  If not I'll let you know.

VirtualBox is latest.

Jul 16, 2014 11:34 AM

You're a few versions behind so I'd have to go thru the fix notes of previous releases to see if this was a bug fix.

I believe even with ADC disabled, the dll is still injected but essentially does nothing with no policy assigned.

If you don't use ADC, you can remove the component I suppose or you can try getting on the latest version, RU4 MP1.

Again, I haven't seen this and I'm running latest vbox and SEP, I assume you're on latest vbox?

Jul 16, 2014 11:28 AM

It's 12.1.2015.2015.

Jul 16, 2014 11:15 AM

What's the exact SEP version? I'm on the latest

Jul 16, 2014 11:12 AM

After installing and then opening VirtualBox.  And ADC is off on my machine.

fail.jpg

Jul 16, 2014 10:54 AM

VBox runs fine for me with the full suite installed, what's the issue?

The article shows how to add the exceptions.

Jul 16, 2014 10:51 AM

Thanks for making your software as invasive as possible so it prevents installation of VirtualBox for developers.  You couldn't come up with something better than injecting DLLs into every process?

Thought you'd like some feedback while our sysadmin figures out how to make exceptions.

Apr 02, 2014 07:49 AM

Here is another good illustrated KB on the subject:

How to create an Application Control exception or stop sysfer.dll injection into a process with SEP
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO95454

Jun 25, 2013 12:18 AM

Nice Dude.!!!!

Best of luck for next..!!!!!!!!

Jun 24, 2013 01:55 PM

Pretty slick, thanks for posting.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.