Endpoint Protection

View Only

Overview of Push Deployment Wizard in Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 

Mar 07, 2012 08:23 AM

Push Deployment Wizard is available inside Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Tools_and_Documents_EN.exe.

Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Tools_and_Documents_EN.exe could be download from https://fileconnect.symantec.com

Once Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Tools_and_Documents_EN.exe is downloaded, unzip the contents to any directory of your choice.

Push Deployment Wizard helps to deploy client software by pushing the client software to remote computers and automatically installing it.

You would need Administrator rights / privileges to the windows domain to which the client computers belong or to the computers themselves, if they are in workgroups.

Push Deployment Wizard is used when installing clients on a Remote Location where you have few systems but the bandwidth between 2 locations is very low and you are unable to install all the clients at one time.

Here are the steps in how to use the same.

1. Create a relevant Package for the Environment as .EXE (Please Make Sure the file name should be setup.exe)
  2. Copy the PushDeploymentWizard Folder From the Tools directory of the SEP software disc.
  3. Move the Package and the PushDeploymentWizard Folder to any 1 system at the Remote Location which is connected to the internal Network

Steps to be performed at the Remote Location (These steps can be performed using RDP session or ask somebody to perform the steps)

1. Select 1 system on which we have both the files.

2. Double Click on ClientRemote.exe

3. Click Next

4. The 1st option "Deploy Symantec Endpoint Protection full install or patch" is used when you have the full SEP installation package or incase if you had downloaded the "client patch" from https://fileconnect.symantec.com (check below to understand "client patch")

Whereas, "Deploy self-installing executable" would be used when you want to push the .exe using command line reference for Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1, check the documentation of Implementation_Guide_SEP12.1.pdf  - Appendix B (Customizing and deploying the client installation by using third-party tools) on page 1003, then page 1008-9 in particular for the component names.

5. Specify the Maximum number of concurrent deployments.

6. Once, selected the correct option, Click Browse and Specify the Folder containing the client Software

7. Select the Computers in your Network or Create a list of IP address or host name and save it in a Notepad File and Click on Add or Import Computer and provide the file containing the host name and IP address.

8. Click Finish

NOTE: There is a difference between Push Deployment Wizard available in SEP 11.x and SEP 12.1. However, both are meant for same purpose.

Remote Push Deployment Wizard could be used as an alternative to Client Deployment wizard.

Here are Links to the Patches.

Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU1 Client-only patch

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH174706

Also, check the same on https://fileconnect.symantec.com

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Sep 25, 2014 04:36 PM

Will be silent as long as you set it up in the client install settings that way...I've never had an issue with it.

Sep 25, 2014 04:26 PM

If I am understanding this correctly, the installation is not silent/invisible to the end user when using the Push Deployment Wizard? Please verify and thanks!

Mar 07, 2014 10:45 AM

i have tried the same on some system but on client end getting pop up for switches

i will share you the screeshot of the same.

Mar 07, 2014 05:22 AM

Hello,

I am not sure, nice idea.

However, you could try the same on a few test machines and let us know.

Regards,

Mar 06, 2014 05:35 AM

Can we push rapid relase by using this tool

Jun 19, 2012 07:15 AM

Hello,

Ports used for client software deployment with the Push Deployment Wizard

Client computers

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

TCP 139 and 445

Ephemeral TCP ports

Ephemeral TCP ports

TCP 139 and 445

UDP 137, 138

UDP 137, 138

Hope that helps!!

May 31, 2012 02:06 AM

Thanks Mithun.... :)

Mar 16, 2012 02:39 PM

Thank you.

This explains a lot.

Mar 09, 2012 04:14 AM

I would agree.

This is one Feature which has a seperate tool - Tool we know now as "Push Deployment Wizard".

Mar 08, 2012 09:52 PM

So, in case better i can use this option in my branch offices to deploy the clients

Mar 08, 2012 04:50 AM

Hello,

Push Deployment Wizard is used when installing clients on a Remote Location where you have few systems but the bandwidth between 2 locations is very low and you are unable to install all the clients at one time.

Push Deployment Wizard could be also used as a backup, when Client Deployment Wizard (from SEPM) does not work.

In Client Deployment Wizard, you have an option to create new / custom Packages whereas, Push Deployment Wizard does not provide an option.

Push Deployment Wizard could be also used from any Machine for deploying client package, even when you don't have access to SEPM. You would need Administrator rights / privileges to the windows domain to which the client computers belong or to the computers themselves, if they are in workgroups.

Whereas Client Deployment Wizard could be used from SEPM only.

So, Incase you have Thousands of Clients in the network, and you as an Admin want to share the work of deploying the packages to another back up admin as well as you do not want to share the access to SEPM, then simply provide him / her Push Deployment Wizard along with Packages (which should be created from SEPM). That would help you divide the work.

Mar 08, 2012 12:49 AM

What is the diffrence between this push deployment wizard and install packages from the home tab of symantec manager?

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.