Endpoint Protection

View Only

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager 12.1 database using a high amount of Hard drive space 

Oct 31, 2011 09:05 AM

Issue: The Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) folder for version 12.1 takes a lot of disk space. 

In version 11.X the workaround was to decrease the number of contents revisions, if they are not required to keep updates for specified days, then delete the revision folders manually from inside C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Inetpub\Content\C60D... or 1CD8..., with the service stopped. TECH153952

In version 12.1 we do not have the same folders.

Also, the database transaction log file (sem5.log) may grow to 10-15 GB, or larger, after upgrade and it is not possible to log on to the manager.

Cause: Number of Content revisions are more than required. OR Did not select options to "Truncate the database transaction logs" and "Rebuild Indexes"

Solution:

1. Go to: C:\Program FIles\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\Inetpub\Content (Default Location of SEPM) 

2. Check

- {535CB6A4-441F-4e8a-A897-804CD859100E} for 32 Bit

- {07B590B3-9282-482f-BBAA-6D515D385869} for 64 Bit

Note: These two folders take more disk space, compared to other folders which are used to store the Virus definitions

3. Once the number of content revisions has been decreased, then this would be reflected on the number of revision folders. See TECH96214 for recommendations.

To reduce the size of the database transaction log file :

1. Log in to the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.

2. Click Admin and select Servers.

3. Select the localhost under Servers.

4. Under Tasks, Select Edit Database Properties.

5. In the General tab under Database Maintenance Tasks.

6. Select the checkboxes next to Truncate the database transaction logs and Rebuild Indexes.

7. Click OK to apply the changes.

It will make changes to the database on the mentioned time under "Scheduled task". To reflect the changes immediately click on Truncate Database Transaction Log Nowand Rebuild Indexes Now under Tasks.

Once this is done, a lot of disk space will be freed up on the C drive.

If incase, you are unable to log on the the manager, you can recreate the sem5.log file to resolve the issue.

1) Stop SEPM and database services.

2) Rename / Delete the current log

3) Click Start, click on Run and Type "CMD" then click OK

4) In the Command Prompt type: "CD C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\ASA\win32\" and press Enter this will change directories to the folder containing dbsrv11.exe.

5) To force the recreation of sem5.log. Type: "dbsrv11 -f "C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\db\sem5.db" and press Enter

6) Click Start, click on Run and Type "services.msc" then click OK and start the Symantec Embedded Database Service

7) Start the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager service.

Also, Please check ContentInfo.txt file for more information about the folders stored in Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager folder

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
1 Downloads
Attachment(s)
txt file
ContentInfo.txt   1 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Sep 11, 2014 03:15 AM

Thanks to all my problem has been solved...........

Sep 10, 2014 11:54 PM

Cool, thanks Malli.

Sep 09, 2014 11:36 PM

Hi,

Check following articles.

Symantec Endpoint Protection virus definition folder consumes a large amount of disk space

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Best Practices for configuring the number of content revisions to keep in Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?pag...

Maintaining the database

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO55337

Disk Space Management procedures for the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96214

Sep 09, 2014 02:05 AM

Already Selected the checkboxes next to Truncate the database transaction logs and Rebuild Indexes.

then what should I do?

Jan 02, 2014 01:27 AM

Pete,

Yes i am running out of disk space at the moment. My understanding is that when this file is deleted, the scheduled SEPM replication will be failed and then the file will be created again ?

Jan 01, 2014 10:48 PM

why do you want to delete that file?

are you running out of space. if you are talking about data.zip it's data for the replication. You can delete this, however next time you will have one more file created during the replication schedule.

Jan 01, 2014 08:48 PM

Hi All,

I'm using SEPM 12.1.3001.165 and there is one large file 2 GB+ GUID filename and zipped in C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\replication\outbox\

Can I safely delete this file ?

Sep 27, 2013 10:21 AM

I wound up opening a ticket with support.  I was informed that the recomended amount of revisions is 3.  Also, if the drive SEPM is installed on runs low on hard drive space, the clients will cease to communicate with the SEPM.  This appears to be SEPM's way of protecting the database. 

Sep 25, 2013 05:15 PM

Is there a guide like this for SEPM in Small Business Installations ?

Because i can't find any database properties in the admin tab ..

Sep 23, 2013 09:42 AM

So I'm still trying to figure out why on our production enviornment with well over 100 clients, the database is only 4GB.  However, in the new enviornment I am building that only has about 6 clients, the database is well over 31GB.  Does anyone have any idea why?

The database is on a separate share from where SEPM is installed.  I did confirm that the sem5 log file is not the culprit here.  Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Aug 03, 2012 10:30 AM

Hi Mithun,

Thanks for sharing good artical yes

May 25, 2012 05:13 AM

Hello,

Incase, if you are carrying SEP SBE 12.1, then check this Article:

Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) database transaction log (sem5.log) consumes excessive hard drive space in SEP SBE 12.1 RU1

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178718

Hope that helps!!

Apr 02, 2012 06:43 AM

Mar 27, 2012 06:10 PM

Hi Mithun,

Could you please help me get this tool mentioned above to truncate sem5.log in SEP12.1 SBE

Mar 19, 2012 01:31 PM

Hello,

Symantec is aware and is investigating this issue.

Check this Article: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH178718

A fix is currently expected in the forthcoming release, SEP SBE 12.1 RU1 MP1.

Until that release is available, a tool is available from Symantec Technical Support to enable the necessary maintenance on SEP 12.1 RU1 SEPMs.  Please contact Technical Support to receive this tool.  After it is run once, the SEPM's sem5.log file will truncate and remain at the correct size.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.