Asset Management Suite

View Only

Integrating Bomgar Remote Appliance with Altiris ITMS 

Nov 06, 2014 06:07 PM

With the support of pcAnywhere slowly being phased out we begun looking at remote support alternatives this year and just recently purchased a Bomgar Remote Support appliance. At this time there is no official integration with any Symantec product. However I'm going to detail the best and easiest way of integrating your Bomgar Remote Support Appliance with the Symantec Altiris Client Management System. To do this we will be leveraging Bomgar’s built-in API to correlate Bomgar Support Sessions with the Symantec ITMS Management Suite (Altiris 7.5) managed computer assets. If you prefer, you can view this how-to on my blog here, http://michaelcivitillo.com/integrating-bomgar-with-altiris/, which has links to a few pictures as well. 

First to utilize the Bomgar API, ensure that the Enable XML API option is checked on the Management > API Configuration page of the /login administrative interface.

Now let’s look at the magic API call and see how it works:

“https://support.yourdomainhere.com/api/client_script?type=rep&operation=generate&action=start_pinned_client_session&search_string=192.168.1.121″

The search_string identifies the target computer and this can specify a variety of criteria.  In my example above, the target is identified by IP address. Other criteria can be used, including the hostname.  If the search_string matches more than one Jump Client, then the technician will receive a prompt to choose which target in order to complete the jump. If the service technician is not logged into their Bomgar Representative Console application, the console will be started and the technician will be prompted to log in.

In our environment I decided IP address would be the most unique criteria to call for the search string due to naming conflicts, especially on Macintosh clients. For the purpose of this integration will be utilizing Right-click actions in the Altiris console. Right-click actions are used to add options to the context menu of an item or a resource in the management console.

To create our custom right-click action launch the management console and go to Settings > All Settings > Notification Server > Right Click Menu. Right click on the User Defined folder and select New > Right-Click Action.

Under Target Resources select Computer as the resource type. This will limit the Right-Click action to displaying under only assets defined as Computers in the database. You can drill down even more and filter this further if you’d like. In the Configure Action section select URL as the Action Type. In the Base URL field paste the following Bomgar API call (make sure you put the correct FQDN of your Bomgar appliance in the URL).

“https://support.yourdomainhere.com/api/client_script?type=rep&operation=generate&action=start_pinned_client_session&search_string=”

Next we need to add the correct data class, in this example I’ll be using IP address. In the Substitution Parameters click ‘Add’, in the ‘Group’ field select Inventory > Basic Inventory > AeX AC TCPIP. Then highlight IP Address and then click the arrow to add the data class to the selected items list, then click OK.

Step2-1024x513.jpg

Finally, add the following string to the end up the Bomgar API URL in the Base URL, ‘%AeX AC TCPIP.IP Address%’. This will insert the IP address of the computer you execute the Right-Click action on to the Bomgar API script. Your final Base URL should look like this:

“https://support.yourdomainhere.com/api/client_script?type=rep&operation=generate&action=start_pinned_client_session&search_string=%AeX AC TCPIP.IP Address%”

Ensure the Right-click Item Task is enabled by select ON and then click Save Changes. If you configured everything properly you should now be able to go back into Computer Management tab, right click a computer, go to User Defined and then select your new Bomgar Integration Right-click action. If the computer you select has a Bomgar Jump Client it will auto-download a small file, clickOpen and the Bomgar Representative Console will automatically begin a support session!

Below is the source code for the right-click action.

<item guid="{6e685252-7af1-46fa-9bc0-75a24dad6816}" classGuid="{ad07c90e-bfb5-4c7e-8f26-b2a57574ec03}">
  <!--  Type: Altiris.NS.EditableItemAction.EditableResourceItemAction  -->
  <!--  Assembly: Altiris.NS.EditableItemAction, Version=7.5.3153.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d516cb311cfb6e4f  -->
  <name>Remote Connect via BOMGAR</name>
  <alias />
  <productGuid>{d0e33520-c160-11d2-8612-00104b74a9df}</productGuid>
  <itemAttributes>Normal</itemAttributes>
  <itemLocalizations>
    <culture name="">
      <description><![CDATA[Michael Civitillo - Altiris/Bomgar Integration]]></description>
      <name><![CDATA[Remote Connect via BOMGAR]]></name>
    </culture>
  </itemLocalizations>
  <enabled>True</enabled>
  <target multiItemEnabled="False" type="ForceNewWindow" actionUrl="" appendItemGuidsToUrl="True" actionDebugUrl="" windowSize="Unspecified" />
  <actionImageUrl>/Altiris/images/icn16PowerTools.gif</actionImageUrl>
  <requiredPermissions />
  <enabled>True</enabled>
  <targetResourceTypeGuid>493435f7-3b17-4c4c-b07f-c23e7ab7781f</targetResourceTypeGuid>
  <actionType>Url</actionType>
  <urlTemplate><![CDATA[https://support.yourdomainhere.com/api/client_script?type=rep&operation=generate&action=start_pinned_client_session&search_string=%AeX AC TCPIP.IP Address%]]></urlTemplate>
  <templateSubstitutionParameters>
    <substitution substitutionString="AeX AC TCPIP.IP Address" attributeId="37974fb9e60e4027b72d19e3f088a6a5.IP Address" />
  </templateSubstitutionParameters>
  <inventoryExpression logicOperator="AND">
    <conditions />
    <expressions />
  </inventoryExpression>
  <itemClasses>
    <class guid="539626d8-a35a-47eb-8b4a-64d3da110d01" />
  </itemClasses>
  <parentFolderGuid>42bbb5ca-89f1-4103-9495-1ad851ad7e91</parentFolderGuid>
  <originNS guid="{69774434-6d68-4a93-8198-f0f4b317b527}" name="ns" url="http://ns/Altiris/NS/" />
  <sourceNS guid="{69774434-6d68-4a93-8198-f0f4b317b527}" name="ns" url="http://ns/Altiris/NS/" />
  <security owner="@APPLICATION_ID" inherit="True">
    <aces>
      <ace type="reserved" name="@APPLICATION_ID">
        <permissionGrants>
          <permissionGrant guid="{eca6254f-5017-4730-9b3f-5add230829b7}" name="Delete" />
          <permissionGrant guid="{983a2d22-7a82-4db0-a707-52c7d6b1441e}" name="Read" />
          <permissionGrant guid="{ac296df1-eb40-4592-899f-25d5c07d45f6}" name="Write" />
          <permissionGrant guid="{819dae1e-b1a5-4643-81a1-26ef95feb8a8}" name="Change Permissions" />
          <permissionGrant guid="{726b1c09-7108-450d-ae24-5f8e93135ed6}" name="Clone" />
          <permissionGrant guid="{4ddc04c3-f0a5-4e88-84aa-c44c8c5ebcc4}" name="Read Permissions" />
        </permissionGrants>
      </ace>
    </aces>
  </security>
</item>

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Jan 11, 2023 02:13 AM

Hi, Can anyone help me for Integration Bomgar with ITMS 8.x, As this information doesn't help me.

Apr 13, 2016 06:33 PM

There's a MUCH simpler way to do it, and it uses Symantec's new (as of 7.6) official Remote Access Connector feature.  I was able to figure it out (with some help - props to others who guided me!).  I've uploaded a sample xml file to my post in another thread here.  It also includes RDP and Microsoft Remote Assistance.

Apr 09, 2016 05:13 PM

This still works as of 8.0!

The problem appears to be after you defined the expression you want to use, clicking on 'USE' actually inserts itself twice in the URL field. 

Make sure the end of the URL looks like: "%AeX AC TCPIP.IP Address%" and NOT "&AeX AC TCPIP.IP Address=%AeX AC TCPIP.IP Address%"

Feb 21, 2016 03:33 PM

I am curious about this as well.  I thought it was integrated into the 7.6 console but after upgrading PCanywhere was removed and there is no bomgar additions.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 11, 2016 10:50 AM

Tried this in 7.6, doesn't work.  Have you attempted this in a 7.6 environment yet?  Is there any official documentation about how to integrate Bomgar and ITMS?

Dec 05, 2014 09:13 PM

No problem, if you run into any issues let me know, happy to help!

Dec 03, 2014 11:52 AM

Excellent article. Thanks for sharing. I'll give it a try.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.