Endpoint Protection

View Only

Group Update Providers- Part 1 

Nov 09, 2009 05:11 PM

Group Update Provider Overview
The Group Update Provider was a feature request to support designating a particular client to serve as a computer that will get content updates and publish them. This is designed to provide functionality vaguely similar to configuring a legacy Symantec AntiVirus client as a secondary server.
The computer that is downloading and publishing the content is referred to as the “Group Update Provider.” The computers in the client group will use the designated “Group Update Provider” as a local proxy for content updates

When a client becomes the GUP

• The mini HTTP server code will be a DLL extension to the SMC Agent. The design has the GUP running independently of the internal content handling. GUP is loaded by the SMC Agent when configured. When it starts up, it begins to listen on the configured port. It continues to listen until it is shut down.
    • All of the clients in the group receive the same proxy policy configuration. The one that matches the proxy address or hostname is the proxy and will load the micro web server.
    • The computer that is designated as the GUP will create a directory if it does not already exist at the following location:
      C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\SharedUpdates

The "SharedUpdates" folder will cache all proxied files. For the first round of implementation this will only be managed LU content. No other communication or content will be proxied. Getting index files and profiles, posting state and logs, etc. will be done directly with server.

• The "SharedUpdates" directory will be populated when the GUP receives a request to see if the requested files are present in the local cache. If the file is present, it responds to the request with the file. If it is not present then the GUP holds the pending request, and re-issues the same "GetLUFile SyLink" request to the server. When that file arrives, it is added to the GUP cache.

The GUP code can only get content updates from Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. As far as the GUP is concerned, it does not know about the client it resides on. Even if the client were to be updated through alternative means such as: Intelligent Updater or Symantec Internal Liveupdate, the GUP would not be able to use those updates to proxy for other clients.

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Feb 15, 2011 11:07 AM

hi

I am installed sepm 11.0.6 on win 2003-sp2 whit sql server 2005 enterprise, we using several domain in my network such as : mpedc.ir , 8.mpedc.ir , 11.mpedc.ir , .... also only one console of sepm installd on my network and configure a gup. I used sylinkreplacer for publish sylink.xml file on other clients.with replace sylink file , all of the clients get update from gup but console sepm dont show these clients in client tab. I chekeld Help and Support-->troubleshooting-->Server Name & Group Name is correctly , but sepm consol dose not show those clients.

please help me for my problem .

tanks

Feb 14, 2011 05:46 AM

I hope graham's distibution monitor will be implemented in SEP 12...

Feb 13, 2011 10:29 AM

hi

when I see this video show me only 4 minute of total time ot this video.so I could not use that .

please help me for this problem

Dec 31, 2010 09:57 AM

Thanks Aniket , ,.

Appriciate your hardwork for creating this video and creating a better understanding about GUP...

This was really helpfull.

Regards,

Azhar Khan.

Oct 20, 2010 04:14 PM

Thanks for the info on this.  It helped me trouble shoot my issue and find a resolution :D

Oct 13, 2010 06:57 AM

Hi,

I think the part 2 of this video should answer your question.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/group-update-providers-part-2

Regards,

Aniket

Oct 13, 2010 04:56 AM

Is the GUP info on my machine updated frequently, with regular checks via SMC over the network or is it only when I refresh my window? How frequent is this traffic?

Sep 11, 2010 04:52 AM

This video is very usefull please post some video's related to LUA(Live update Administrator) configurations and Troubleshooting

Thanks In Advance

Aug 19, 2010 07:53 AM

Aug 06, 2010 05:29 AM

Hay John,

Thanks for your comments.

I am working on a video to troubleshoot GUPs.

Will post another update when it gets published.

Regards,
Aniket 

Aug 06, 2010 12:19 AM

Appreciate the hard work Aniket
The video is very helpful and awesome to understand GUP technology.
Here some query’s I have, hopefully someone can clarify me on this.
  1. Does the GUP machine takes only incremental updates from SEPM server except 1sttime when it has been configured GUP machine
  2.  Is there any way if I don’t want to send clients to SEPM console for update lookup. Client must only pull data only policy changes are done. Hope you got my concern. Reason is some of our remote location has 64 KBPS link. I have already configured GUP for location but still want to reduce the data transfer rate from SEPM to GUP / client machine.

Best regards,

Siddhesh Rane.

Aug 05, 2010 10:59 PM

This is very useful for me
Thank you

Aug 05, 2010 09:20 PM

Hi Aniket

I saw both the Part 1and Part 2

Very Useful

If  you provide some video' s for  how to troubleshoot GUP Issues

That will be more useful.

Thank you

Aug 05, 2010 10:38 AM

Great video!  Definitely answered some questions!

Aug 05, 2010 09:43 AM

Very Helpful  !!! Thanks !!!

Aug 03, 2010 04:36 AM

Amazing . thanks Aniket Amdekaryes

Jul 02, 2010 01:39 AM

Thanks for sharing these videos.

May 27, 2010 01:29 AM

I also voted aniket...

Feb 18, 2010 11:51 AM

Excellent work ... Aniket.

you got my vote

Thanks
Raghavendra K S

Feb 18, 2010 09:27 AM

The video is excellent and focusses on many important things about GUP 

Nov 17, 2009 08:26 AM

Hello,

Here is an Amazing Work of Aniket in form of Video.

GUP is one of the few Topics which is widely Focused by Customer's of Symantec Endpoint Protection.

Aniket here not only explains the Entire GUP overview but also covers the systematically stating with Assigning GUP  to understanding of Logs.

A very hard Work done by Aniket (creating 2 videos - Part 1 and Part 2)

Amazing!!!! Great work done by Aniket...

100% Complete.

Nov 17, 2009 05:59 AM

Good one.... thanks Aniket....

Nov 16, 2009 12:57 PM

After careful review of various requests by you, and other sources, Aniket, a dedicated Connect TSE, has put together this 2 Part Series on Group Update Provider to help all of you!  Part 2 if found here:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/group-update-providers-part-2

Hope you enjoy!  More to come that I'm sure you'll find quite helpful.  Let us know what you think!

Eric

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.