CloudSOC CASB Gateway

View Only

CASB Can Prevent Incidents Like the Massive US Voter Data Exposure 

Jun 20, 2017 03:15 PM

As reported yesterday and subsequently grabbing headlines across news outlets, a cyber risk analyst discovered extensive personal information, including political preferences, on more than 198 million US citizens hosted on a publicly-accessible cloud server. The server had no security or password requirements and the data was available to anyone who found the URL. 

Public cloud services provide extensive security for their infrastructure but the organizations who use these platforms are responsible for securing access to their accounts and data. In this case a data firm contracted by a political party didn’t have basic security protections in place after a security settings update on June 1, which resulted in the exposure of deeply personal information on over 60% of the US population. The data was discovered on June 12 and the server was secured June 14.

Cloud services are an excellent business resource. They are flexible, scalable, and inherently great for enabling collaboration. Putting data into the cloud and allowing open access to anyone with the right URL happens. Users may do it on purpose, assuming these links won’t be found by anyone other than the recipient of the URL – a method of ‘security by obscurity’. It can be a simple mistake; users may not realize they are exposing data publicly because they are not familiar with the settings in a particular cloud platform. Even sophisticated users can make mistakes; for example, security settings are often ‘inherited’ within file sharing structures and a change in security settings in one place can cascade into unintended changes in other areas.

However it happens, exposing sensitive data via public URLs creates a high risk situation for an organization because anyone who finds the URL can access the data. The incident in the news this week is just one example of many.

A Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB) that can monitor, secure and control use of cloud applications could have prevented this mistake. Such a CASB could have: identified that this data was Personally Identifiable Information (PII), one of the most confidential and regulated data types; identified that this confidential data was exposed to public view; automatically prevented users from uploading PII data into a publicly accessible folder; and alerted the administrator of the cloud service that users were storing PII data in it.

The critical need to prevent and remediate these types of data exposures is motivating organizations to adopt CASB at a rapid pace. Gartner predicts CASB will grow five times faster than the overall information security market from 2015 to 2020.* And it is growing even faster than that at Symantec, which is why we are investing so much into developing our CloudSOC CASB solutions for both SaaS and IaaS and integrating those solutions with our extended family of enterprise security products such as DLP and encryption. The cloud is driving collaboration and innovation at a furious pace and security that can both protect and enable use of the cloud has become a critical requirement.  

Learn more about CloudSOC to make sure your organization doesn’t make the same mistake.

* Gartner. Forecast Snapshot: Cloud Access Security Broker, Worldwide, 2017. 16 March 2017

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Sep 03, 2018 05:29 AM

Nice information...its very helpful for the users.

Jul 14, 2017 03:33 PM

The CASB solution is awesome. I have seen a live demo when I went to the NY user group and it looked functioned great. I understand it was a demo that has been tested numerous times to demonstrate the capabilities. As other commentors mentioned, you will also get an understanding on what other cloud based tools your company is utilizing which can very helpful for security and consolidation.

Jul 12, 2017 04:11 PM

I've said before that Symantec has really impressed me in the last two years and this just adds to it.  WIth a modern day enterprise, leveraging multiple cloud vendors in some environments, controls like CASB are crucial or we end up leaving the front door wide open.  Thanks for staying on top of emerging trends!

Jul 05, 2017 05:32 PM

La solución me parece la más óptima, lo que me preocupa es que ante tantas diferentes soluciones que pueden integrarse Symantec debería de empezar a pensar en una consola de administración en donde se pueda consolidar todos los incidentes así como las notifcaciones y alertas. 

Jul 04, 2017 06:32 PM

La implementación y gestión de una arquitectura de este estilo tiene un impacto directo sobre las aplicaciones y dispositivos que pueden soportar, por lo que esta deberá ser adaptada a las necesidades y características de cada organización, siempre buscando el equilibrio entre la operación y la protección.    En definitiva, estas soluciones de seguridad surgen como una opción más para aumentar los controles de seguridad durante todo el trayecto de la información, de aquellas organizaciones que han migrado hacia el uso de la nube, en busca de mejorar la experiencia de los usuarios al utilizar esta tecnología.

Jul 03, 2017 03:25 AM

Training is key, you can have all the security measures in the world but it just takes one person to expose something they shouldn't.

Money is always a factor too, anything is possible but you need the time, money and resources to implement it.

A lot of companies have solutions and only use a fraction of what is available to them, training again and understanding of the product(s) is a must.

Jun 29, 2017 08:03 AM

None of this would be necessary if the providers of cloud services had a minimum security standard that everyone had to meet. This should include the setting of usernames and password of a minimum complexity and a level of data encryption that would prevent any third party, including government agencies, from being able to access the data.  At the moment I consider cloud storage to be fundamentally insecure and would never place any sensitive data out there.

Jun 28, 2017 03:35 PM

Thanks Symantec. Keeping all this personal information on more than 198 million US citizens hosted on a publicly-accessible cloud server..classic move. We can and should be so much better.

Jun 28, 2017 04:21 AM

The awareness for CASB is already picking up and organizations are moving towards cloud solutions. On the security posture there is still good opportunity as companies are still looking at better solutions and System Integrators to get required integration done at their cloud and intranet security level. Overall this is good article and Symantec is targeting right customers with right products.

Jun 27, 2017 05:54 AM

I bwlwicw voting machines are not connected to the internet but in current world...anything is possible and hence hackable. I doubt how much successful CASB to protect the high level attacks and there could also be black ideas in hackers mind to bypass it. One need to have multi tier security and inter product integration to work CASB to protect from such attacks. As corporate data moves to the cloud and employees access data from mobile devices, they bypass existing security technologies and increases the gap.

Jun 26, 2017 03:21 PM

CloudSOC is definitely a move in the right direction that companies and organizations should be looking at.  Even if they do not get this specific product it should at least flip a switch in their heads on picking something to protect this type of data.

Government entities should be setting the standard on data protection.

I will forward this to my internal security team.

Jun 26, 2017 01:50 PM

This raises a question as to what we are personally posting to the Internet.  What kind of personal information are we making available when we use Social Media?  A CASB sounds like it is a must for anyone (organization) dealing with PII or CC data.  Are PCI and other compliance initiatives going to be adding this as a requirement for compliance? It appears when we address one vulnerability others appear and all we are constantly doing is reacting instead of what we should be doing....proactively preventing these types of incidents. I guess this is the nature of security.  How do we secure against what we don't know? 

Jun 26, 2017 11:55 AM

Great article. Casb looks like the need of the hour and organizations need to adopt it to make sure the pace is in line with cloud growth and security requirements. Excellent offering by symantec for casb. Will be interesting to see the features in detail

Jun 26, 2017 07:32 AM

Interesting article that explain Symantec CASB and how to prevent data leaks and have a correct pdata privacy.
I think one the most challenge in our times is protect our data and restrict the use only to authorized scopes. Not a prositive thing is see how many data are unprotected, I don't know how many people are knowledge about the exposure of deeply personal information on over 60% of the US population.

Jun 26, 2017 03:47 AM

At the end of the day, what we have learnt is, no matter how many security software you have installed or layers of security you have around the platform, it's a matter of human error that caused for this to happen. No software would have thought of that.

Just like the spread of malware/viruses are caused by someone opening an unknown attachment from an email. Threy all needs to be trained up in order to secure our data.

Jun 23, 2017 08:56 AM

Good article.

Jun 22, 2017 10:34 PM

Cloud is trend, is future, but it could become a huge risk if it is not prorected very well and closely monitored. I could not believe we still have people publish such important data without authorization today, no matter for reasons, this was completely wrong, should that organization notify those 198 million people that their personal information possibly got leaked.

Delighted to know that Symantec has CASB product to provide security to cloud. 

Jun 22, 2017 04:26 PM

I hope whoever is responsible is punished accordingly.  CASB is something we've been interested in using to enhance our DLP capabilities in AWS.  There are many blindspots to an enterprise's cloud data.  I'm excited to create and apply a locked down policy of who can access which cloud resource when, with full logging for access events.

Jun 22, 2017 04:11 PM

Great article.  I'm new to learning about CASB (whats the plural form of CASB, CASBs, CASBes?) and found this article interesting.  THanks for posting

Jun 22, 2017 02:32 PM

Awesome job @Symantec!

I looked into CloudSOC recently due to interest with using the Cloud and I was highly impressed!  I love to see all of the inovations that you guys keep on providing!  I'll definitely be looking more into this in the future.

Jun 22, 2017 12:26 PM

No security or password requirements! That's an amazing example of gross negligence. I'm sure CASB is great, but not keeping this information on a public IP would've been a nice first step. Geez

Jun 22, 2017 11:49 AM

Una gran herramienta para monitorear o proteger data sensible con los servicios en la nube, sin lugar a duda una gran herramienta elaborada y optimizada para manejar los servicios en la nube, muchas gracias por tan importante resumen o articulo. Saludos!

Jun 22, 2017 11:37 AM

Buena informacion y numero sorprendetes, una herramienta de este tipo efectivamente logra ese paso de seguridad extra tan necesario para servicios en la nube, una herramienta completamente necesario para lo que hoy en dia es el fuerte de la informatica. Servicios en la nube.

Jun 22, 2017 11:14 AM

A better job needs to be done by all in vetting partner security postures and include it in contracts before signing. They need to be held accountable!

Jun 22, 2017 10:14 AM

I've seen Symantec's CASB in action and it does a fantastic job at securing and patching administrator mistakes. The bottom line is most people are so lax at security that while these types of devices do a great job, the people themselves need to be properly trained and aware. Luckily, Symantec is there to clean up some of the mess.

Jun 22, 2017 09:24 AM

198 million US citizens PII compiled by Republican data firm Deep Root Analytics and two other data firm,

The leaked information included names, birth dates, addresses, voter registration details and social media posts.

Some data included posts scraped from Reddit, and voter registration information, which is public record.

A huge database about 1.1 terabytes was available to download and not password protected. (WAY TO GO!!!)

How convieniant that there was no basic security measures in place.

In a statement by Deep Root co-founder Alex Lundry, he assured the public that despite the unimaginable degree of the leak,

"there is nothing to worry about" ~ lol

The bottom line is:

If you want to prevent data leaks and keep your data safe and secure, go with Symantec they got your back.

Jun 22, 2017 09:03 AM

This was truly outrageous handling of personal data.  In fact I hope sincerely that it is criminal and that those responsible are prosecuted.  If an intelligent system such as the CASB can prevent this happening then excellent.  In the UK those that abuse animals are legally banned from owning animals again - I think that the same should be said for personal data: those individuals found to be responsible for abusing the data (e.g. making it publically available) should be banned from being in that position again.

Jun 22, 2017 08:48 AM

Wow! I can't belive such private information was just sat on a server, had no security or password requirements and the data was available to anyone who found the URL. They need to get Symantec on the case!

Jun 22, 2017 08:45 AM

Thats aweful!! Some terrible security right there, I wonder if any 3rd parties managed to access the data? Would be worth a lot of money!

Jun 22, 2017 08:43 AM

Thanks Symantec. Shocking to read how extensive personal information on more than 198 million US citizens were hosted on a publicly-accessible cloud serve. Hope theres some serious fines coming their way!

Jun 22, 2017 07:32 AM

The part of CASB that interests me the most is the control of what can go where. It can be quite alarming to find out what a user has uploaded where, along with the long list of legal reasons why it shouldn't be there. The reality is that an enterprising user can create quite the headache from an innocent action of just trying to solve a problem.

Jun 22, 2017 06:51 AM

A CASB vendor also gives enterprises visibility into authorized and non-authorized cloud usage. It can intercept and monitor data traffic between the corporate network and cloud platform, assist with compliance issues, offer data security policy enforcement, and prevent unauthorized devices, users, and apps from accessing cloud services.

Jun 22, 2017 06:46 AM

Hi All, This is true and I agree. Protect the data flowing in and out of your cloud service by integrating cloud security security as part of your enterprise-wide governance processes, information security, business continuity, and third-party risk management teams. Without full cooperation of these teams, even the best security tools will not be effective, and will just add noise to an already noisy security environment. Thumps Up to Symc...keep moving

Jun 22, 2017 06:39 AM

I agree with the article. Cyber security is defined as “the process of protecting information by preventing, detecting, and responding to attacks.” Cyber incidents can have financial, operational, legal, and reputation impact. Costs may include forensic investigations, public relations campaigns, legal fees, consumer credit monitoring, and technology changes. This surgical visibility and control of cloud apps is necessary to understand your organization’s exposure to sensitive data in the cloud. Protecting your data from breach or exposure can only happen if you have visibility in to where the data is and what your employees are doing with it. Symatec Understand this vision and provides such governance and compliance tools.

Jun 22, 2017 05:09 AM

WOW !! Symantec seems to have found a way out securing and preventing exposing sensitive data.

A Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB) that can monitor, secure and control the use of cloud applications could have prevented exposing sensitive data via public URLs creating a high-risk situation.

I find it highly interesting that as we advance in technology that we digress in how we mitigate exploitations of this technology. 

Is there a possibility, Symantec provides such security to governments?

I hope Government starts understanding the true importance of such solutions.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.