Data Loss Prevention

View Only

If you are using Symantec DLP, you should be using IT Analytics 

Jan 12, 2015 10:03 AM

Overview of IT Analytics

IT Analytics provides cube based reporting (pivot tables), additional reports, and Key Peformance Indicators (KPIs) for various Symantec products:

1. Symantec IT Management Suite (Altiris)
  2. Symantec Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
  3. Symantec Critical Systems Protection (CSP)
  4. Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP)

IT Analytics is developed by Bay Dynamics but is available as part of your Symantec license.  For more information visit: http://baydynamics.com/Products/ITAnalytics/Symantec/ One of the concerns in the past for using IT Analytics has been the requirement for a Symantec Management Platform (SMP also known as Altiris) to be configured first before you install and manage the cubes.  This is no loner the case as there is a stand-alone version of IT Analytics available (this will be covered in a separate blog post).  This post will cover why you should be using IT Analytics for your DLP system.

Why IT Analytics for Symantec DLP

Within the Symantec DLP console there are a bunch of ways to slice and dice the data that is generated in the system (Incidents, etc.) either by filtering the data or by creating various summarizations of the data.  IT Analytics adds several items that are not exposed without having to write a SQL query or leverage the API.  IT Analytics allows for someone who does not have access to the DLP console to run reports against the information.  Also IT Analytics can easily create trending reports to demonstrate how risk is being reduced over time. Whenever people ask me why I should bother with IT Analytics there are two reports that I point to that demonstrate the value of IT Analytics.

User Action Audting

The first screenshot (User Login Report) shows which users have logged into the DLP system and the second report (User Action Auditing Report) shows who has changed what policies in the DLP system.  These two reports are requested over and over by customers.  How can I prove to my auditors or management that no one is changing a DLP policy randomly?  This information is coming out of the Oracle Database but without ITA you would have to write a SQL statement and then clean it up to provide auditors or management.Incident Trend by Product Area

A third common request is "how can I show trends" in my DLP system and the above screenshot shows this trend.

Finally IT Analytics provides Key Performance Indicators (both predefined or custom created) demonstrate how your Symantec DLP system is reducing risk over time and how the system is performing.

Key Performance Indicators

How do  I get IT Analytics?

IT Analytics is provided free of charge however a license key and the MSI is needed before you can install ITA..  If you have Symantec Endpoint Protection in your environment the MSI for performing the installation is located on the Tools portion of the media.  However if you are not a SEP customer, please contact either your Symantec Account Manager or Bay Dynamics.  NOTE:  MY company (ITS Partners) can help you obtain the license

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Jul 21, 2017 03:46 PM

Hello,

You can tell me how is the system system requirements to install this product in a Windows Server (Version O.S. Memory ram , Disk space, etc) ?

Regards

Jun 01, 2016 11:42 AM

How do I get training using IT Analytics? I'd like to customize my own reports

May 31, 2016 01:35 PM

Yes, it appears as though the link is still misspelled in the post above.

For those interested in the newer standalone version of IT Analytics for DLP, please see the following Connect videos:

IT Analytics Server 2.1 Cube Browser for Symantec Data Loss Prevention Users

IT Analytics Server 2.1 Install

Jul 14, 2015 04:19 PM

Please correct the link provided in the second paragraph. The domain is misspelled. 

Mar 25, 2015 02:16 AM

Do we have a list of reports available for DLP in IT Analytics. We will need to justify the need for an addtional system and it will be good to talk about what reports are availeble.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.