Workspace Virtualization

Software Virtualization Solution 2.0 to be Free for Personal Use 

01-10-2006 04:40 PM

We just got the Juice on Altiris' plans to make SVS available -- for free -- to users on their personal PCs. According to SVS product manager Scott Jones, "The purpose is to get every tech head who sells, supports, writes about or codes to Windows to know what we are doing, to get excited about it, and to carry that excitement into the workplace."

There are a zillion reasons this announcement is cool for, well, everybody. Here's the quick list:

1. You want to try a new tool, utility, or fps game but you don't want to "pollute" your system with a bunch of files and reg keys that you may have trouble deleting if said tool doesn't live up to its marketing hype. (Create a virtual version with SVS. If things don't work out, "deactivate" the tool and your system will never know it was there in the first place.)
  2. You want every tool on the planet at your fingertips, but your registry and file system just can't handle the abuse! (Hey, with SVS you can virtualize them all and then activate 'em only when you need 'em.)
  3. You have two applications that refuse to run on the same machine -- graphics editors come to mind. (Use SVS to create virtual versions of both applications that will play nice together.)
  4. You would love to install the new beta version of [fill in the blank] but you don't want to mess up your existing version because you depend on it every day. (With SVS you can create a virtual version of the new beta. You can activate or deactivate the beta without changing [or harming] your existing base applications or operating system.)

So keep an eye out. Get your own personal copy and use it. Join the revolution!

To review, Software Virtualization Solution (SVS) is a revolutionary approach to software management. By placing applications and data into managed units called Virtual Software Packages, Software Virtualization Solution allows you to instantly activate, deactivate or reset applications and to completely avoid conflicts between applications, without altering the base Windows installation.

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

12-10-2011 02:45 AM

So you lost the serial number and now SVS is a waste of time?

I don't get that, but you might have asked if someone could supply you that serial number?

Then you would probably received a private message with the svs free for personal use serial.

12-10-2011 01:20 AM

accidentally deleted the software virtualization client from my pc before I deleted the virtual copy of firefox. Now I can't delete the virtual copy of firefox and I can't reinstall the svs cause I can't find a serial number for the "free" software.  wasted lots of time on this and giving up, am trying to build a master image for ghosting and am going to start over now, wasted 4 hours because of this mess.

06-03-2010 12:19 PM

See the answer in the other post.

06-02-2010 09:19 PM

Someone for the love of god tell me where i can download this SVS????

this has got to be the worst case of hidden software i have ever come accross in my life and im 35 now..

i heard about this personal edition on download.com so i come to this website i find nothing at all what
represents Software Virtualization Solution no where in any download section does it say it

so i go to symantec i look there and again nothing what so ever mentioned about this software
so i google for Software Virtualization Solution i get all websites explaining its free for personal use
but not a single link to download the software so i search google again and come accross this page.

http://www.altiris.com/Download/svsPersonal.aspx ok so i go back to the download section
and low and behold nothing what so ever listed in the drop down box for this

so i got a licence now a personal user great... now how about the software to use it on???
someone tell me exactly where on this website, this forum, this sub-domain even on the Downloads tab above.
in every catagory low and behold nothing what so ever mentions SVS do you not want people to try it or what?
because you make it so impossible to find any references to download this application

if i go to sysmantec nothing listed, if i go to altris website nothing what so ever listed.
can someone explain why its near damn impossible to find a link to download this application.

i've searched high and low all night and i'll be damned if i can spot anything that mentions
SVS or Software Virtualization Solution or personal use or personal licence or even anything what so ever do to with this software!!!!

11-21-2006 11:18 AM

You can read the SVS Personal Use license agreement here.
The Personal Use license allows use on up to ten nodes for non-organizational purposes. If the machine belongs to a business (which includes government, education and non-profit) or if you are using the machine for business purposes, you need to purchase the regular SVS product @USD $29/node.
The client code is identical; the only difference between SVS for Personal Use and regular SVS is the license agreement.

11-21-2006 03:53 AM

Hi,
just a clarification about the license, is limited for private users or also for company users?
Thanks
Paolo

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.