Endpoint Protection

View Only

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words (And I Only Have to Type 300) 

Feb 05, 2007 03:00 AM

Recently my boss provided me with a license for some mind-mapping software (if you’re curious, it’s MindManager from MindJet). So, I took it for a spin on a subject close to my heart and if you’re a regular reader I’m betting you’ll be able to guess what it is – yep, mobile device threats.

For mobile device threats, I found that it was actually quite a good way to communicate the threats modern mobile devices face today. You can see the results below (click on the image for a larger version). This rocked for several reasons, not the least because it saved me from having to type out long and rambling descriptions while trying to poorly communicate their relationships. The threats shown below are the most applicable to modern smart devices, yet certain categories also apply to legacy mobile devices running proprietary operating systems.

While the above is not totally comprehensive yet (I could think of some slightly more esoteric vectors and also some sub categories on technologies such as SMS, MMS, and Bluetooth), it shows you the current known attack vectors that apply to any modern mobile device. When I get an opportunity, I’ll keep this updated with new vectors that are both disclosed publicly by others as well as those we uncover here in Symantec Security Response. In addition, I plan to do a series discussing some of the vectors outlined above, discussing those that already have proof-of-concepts, are already in the wild, or are theoretical/possible in my opinion.

P.S. If you’re going to borrow the picture, feel free, but please credit Symantec and myself!

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.