Workspace Streaming

View Only

Configuring the Streaming Agent Using Group Policy Object Updates 

Dec 16, 2011 11:00 AM

The Workspace Streaming Agent now supports Group Policy Object (GPO) updates. Streaming client configurations can be pushed through the domain group policy by creating and importing a Windows Administrative Template (ADM) file in the Group Policy Management Tool.

To configure the Streaming Agent using Group Policy Object updates

1. On the Start menu, click Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools > Group Policy Management Tool.
  2. In the Group Policy Management Tool, in the left pane, right-click the Group Policy Object folder and click New.
  3. Name the GPO and click OK. The newly created GPO now appears under the Group Policy Object folder.
  4. Right-click the newly created Group Policy Object and click Edit.
  5. Expand Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates.
  6. Right-click Administrative Templates and click Add/Remove Templates.
  7. Add the ADM file.
  8. In the left pane, expand the Classic Administrative Templates (ADM) file and click Workspace Streaming Config.
  9. Under Settings, double-click the Workspace Streaming Config link to enable and configure the values from the ADM file.

Templates for ADM files

Please see the attached .adm file

Note: The updated .zip file contains the ADM file tested for the 7.5 SP1 environment.

Statistics
0 Favorited
3 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads
Attachment(s)
doc file
GPO Connect.doc   28 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020
zip file
Streaming_SP7.adm_.zip   4 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020
zip file
Updated_StreamingPolicy_Sep2015.zip   8 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Oct 07, 2015 04:14 PM

Hello,

As mentioned in comment above we were able to import the ADM together with ADML file into AD, have them applied by GPO and here is the result (for testing I was disabling remove all button in ADM file so I could see immediately on Streaming agent interface if GPO was applied
correctly - on our images we have it enabled by default):

1. After logging in to the machine where GPO was applied, Streaming agent interface was showing default configuration from the image (remove all button was not disabled as it was set in ADM).
2. AppstreamCfg file did not change
3. A registry key was created in HKLM\Software\Policies\Symantec\Workspace Streaming\Config which contained all settings from ADM file
4. As soon as I manually restarted AppMgrService changes were applied to AppstreamCfg file and also to the Streaming Agent interface.

This indicates to me that when machine is powered on AppMgrService starts before GPO is actually applied which would explain why I see the changes only after I restart the service after logon.

I would like to know if there is any way how appmgrservice could be started (or restarted) after gpo was applied but before user logs in to the machine or any other way around it. How do you guys use it in your environment? Does it work for you without a need of restarting a service or rebooting a machine? Restarting a service after log on does not seem to me as a good solution and most of our users do not have admin rights anyway and about half of our machines is set to refresh to the base image after log off so reboot would not help.
Or perhaps is there a way how could streaming agent read settings directly from registries mentioned above where every change to registries would take an immediate effect?

If you would have more information or any documentation regarding this topic I would be very happy to go over it.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Peter

Oct 01, 2015 10:06 AM

Thanks Kedar, we were able to succesfully import admx and adml files into AD. We have a change scheduled for next week to implement this in our testing GPO and then will verify if it actually works since the old adm file which was meant for 6.x streaming agents did not work as expected because GPO was being applied after AppMgrService was running already so when you logged into a machine you could see that changes were applied to AppstreamCfg file by GPO BUT it did not take an affect unless you restarted the service. Symantec advised not to delay a start of appstreammgr service on startup which could possibly address this issue and were were not able to come up with any other solution.

I am really hoping this could move us somewhere further as I see great benefits in ability to change values in AppstreamCfg by GPO.

If you would have any more information or documentation about this topic please feel free to send me a private message I would be happy to go over it.

Thanks,

Peter

Sep 28, 2015 11:55 PM

Hi Peter,

I have updated the attached files. Do let me know if you still face the issue.

Thanks!

Sep 22, 2015 12:50 PM

Hello,

anyone was able to successfully import the new ADMX file? We were getting following error when trying to import it to AD:

AD_error.png

Looks like file itself is either corrupted or its missing something.

Symantec, can you please provide also ADML file which is supposed to come with ADMX?

Thank you,

Peter

Sep 16, 2015 01:00 PM

Hi Bob,

The file updates were provided by the Information Development department. I've asked them to provide a comment to Dwight's original post with that information.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Sep 16, 2015 11:08 AM

Hello,

Dwight Tanner, the author of this post is no longer with Symantec.  His last posts were from 2012 and I have asked our Symantec contacts, who have confirmed this. 

Can someone please update this thread with who at Symantec has posted the updated file "Updated_StreamingPolicy_Aug2015.zip"?  

Our company is a large user of Symantec's SWS software and managing the SWS Agents via GPO is an excellent tool to help the product scale for enterprise deployments.  We are very interested in doing testing of this streaming policy in our environment. 

Thank you,

Bob Saetham

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.