Endpoint Protection

View Only

Step by step guide to use Sylinkdrop.exe 

Jun 30, 2013 02:08 PM

Hello Everyone,

Today we will see how to use Sylinkdrop tool.

This tool is effective to replace Sylink.xml file on single machine, it can not be used to replace on multiple machines in one go. To replace on multiple machines will hvae to use Sylink replacer tool.

To learn more about Sylink replacer tool check this article:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/downloads/sylinkreplacer-tool-connecting-sep-clients-sepm

Before that it's important to know what is Sylink.xml.

Sylink.xml stores the global communication settings. This file is for internal use only and should not be edited. It contains settings from the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. If you edit this file, most settings will be overwritten by the settings from the management server the next time the client connects to the management server.

Sylink file is an XML file containing communication settings and following  files :-

A list of SEPM servers to connect to

The public SEPM certificate for all servers.

The KCS, or encryption key.

The DomainID that the client belongs to.

PUSH/Pull connection setting

Various log settings

If the clients have lost the communication with a management server, you must replace the old Sylink.xml file with a new Sylink.xml file. The SylinkDrop tool automatically replaces the Sylink.xml file on the client computer with a new Sylink.xml file.

When you run the SylinkDrop tool, it can also perform the following tasks:
  • Migrates or moves clients to a new domain or management server.
  • Restores the communication breakages to the client that cannot be corrected on the management server.
  • Moves a client from one server to another server that is not a replication partner.
  • Moves a client from one domain to another.
  • Converts an unmanaged client to a managed client.
  • Converts a managed client to an unmanaged client.
1.In the console, export the communications file from the group that connects to the management server to which you want the client computer to connect. The communications file is the Sylink.xml file

1st_4.JPG

1. From https://symantec.flexnetoperations.com download the archive Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Tools_and_Documents_EN.exe

2. Launch the Symantec_Endpoint_Protection_12.1_Tools_and_Documents_EN.exe and give a destination path

You will see SylinkDrop folder.

This tool is also available at the following location.

On the computer that runs the management server, locate drive:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\Version.Number\Bin\SylinkDrop.exe

2ND.JPG

3. In the SylinkDrop folder SylinkDrop.exe is available. Double click the exe file.

3rd_3.JPG

4.In the Sylink Drop dialog box, click Browse, and locate the .xml file exported in step 1.

4th_1.JPG

5.When you see a confirmation dialog box, click OK.

6.In the Sylink Drop dialog box, click Exit.

You should see now the local SEP client with green dot.

Jobs can be peformed using Sylinkdrop.exe :
  • Migrates or moves clients to a new domain or management server.
  • Restores the communication breakages to the client that cannot be corrected on the management server.
  • Moves a client from one server to another server that is not a replication partner.
  • Moves a client from one domain to another.
  • Converts an unmanaged client to a managed client.
  • Converts a managed client to an unmanaged client.

Public KB's: How to restore/retain client-server SEP communication using custom installation settings without having to use the sylink drop tool

Restoring client-server communication settings by using the SylinkDrop tool

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Nov 30, 2018 03:13 PM

@Chetan Savade are you able to re-post the links to those how-to articles? It appears they were either removed or moved.

Oct 20, 2017 06:03 AM

Yes, Domain admin privilege are required. 

Oct 18, 2017 10:41 AM

to run sylink replacer do i need any admin privillage on remote computer?

Oct 18, 2017 05:11 AM

Hello,

If the client-server communications break, you can quickly restore communications by replacing the Sylink.xml file on the client computer. You can replace the Sylink.xml file by deploying a communication update package. Use this method for a large number of computers, for the computers that you cannot physically access easily, or the computers that require administrative access.

Communication Update Package Deployment is available as of version 12.1.2. For earlier versions

Refer this guide: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO127579

Note: Only push communication update package, don't push entire package. Communication update package will push Sylink.xml file. 

Oct 17, 2017 10:32 PM

Can i run this tool on remote computers?

i have checked this tool i can run but first i have to login on machine and run tool for replace xml file but if i have thousand of computers i can not login on each computer and run this file is there any other solution to run this file through SEPM and replace xml on clients ?

Sep 12, 2013 01:47 PM

Thank you for the tutorial.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.