Patch Management Solution

{CWoC} PatchAutomation and ZeroDayPatch builds for 7.6 

Feb 19, 2015 12:34 PM

[END OF "SUPPORT" NOTICE]

Hello everyone, after close to 5 years maintaining various tools around Symantec Connect this legacy is turning to be more of a burden than anything else.

It's still is a great set of tool and they all have their use, but as such I'm not going to maintain them anymore.

The source code for this tool may still change over time, and can be found on Github: https://github.com/somewhatsomewhere?tab=repositories

[/END OF "SUPPORT" NOTICE]

As the 7.6 release is nearing I tought I would update the Patch Automation toolkit, just to make sure the features would be available to users as soon as the release hits SolutionSam.com.

So today I am attaching Version 10 of the toolkit here, build for the upcoming 7.6 release.

The major change that version 10 brings in (across all supported ITMS versions - 7.1 SP2 MP1.1, 7.5 SP1 and 7.6) is that we are no longer tied to the Altiris.PatchManagementCore.dll. The tools will work directly from any location. Also with 7.6 we moved to .Net 4.0 so the build linking actually points to the 4.0 GAC.

Finally, note that the builds are at version 10, but there are no feature changes from version 9 so all the existing documentation related (and updated) to both tool still apply (both document contain the 7.1 builds as well):

7.5 builds are also available as downloads:

Statistics
0 Favorited
2 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads
Attachment(s)
zip file
PatchAutomation-v10-7.6.zip   17 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020
zip file
ZeroDayPatch-v10-7.6.zip   18 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Jul 27, 2017 03:26 PM

Are there any instructions on applying the ZeroDay Patch tool for 7.6?  I am trying to implement automatic patching in our environment. 

Thank you,

Maritza

Mar 14, 2016 11:24 AM

Thanks a lot ... late ... didn't get any notification.

I have issues ... will post them in the other thread.

Mar 14, 2016 06:53 AM

There you have it:

{CWoC} PatchAutomation and ZeroDayPatch builds for 8.0

Sorry for not posting this earlier - I had it ready a few weeks prior to the 8.0 release.

Mar 14, 2016 06:20 AM

Hi Ludovic

any chance for an ITMS 8 update?

######## THIS IS A DRY RUN ########

Processing bulletin MSWU-1832 (e1e7829e-0584-49e2-8684-1bc05cd78e5c) now.
Error message=Method not found: 'Altiris.Common.GuidCollection Altiris.PatchMana
gementCore.Resources.SoftwareBulletinResource.get_SoftwareUpdateGuids()'.
Inner Exception=
Stacktrace=   at Symantec.CWoC.APIWrappers.PatchAPI.ResolveToUpdates(String bull
etinGuids)
   at Symantec.CWoC.APIWrappers.PatchAPI.IsStaged(String bulletinGuids)
   at Symantec.CWoC.ZeroDayPatch.RunAutomation(GuidCollection bulletins)
Press any key to continue . . .

I miss your lovely patch tool :)

Mar 14, 2016 04:27 AM

Thanks for the response, the reason for asking this is that we are not using the Patch Management tool for a stable production environment, we are mainly using it for a test environment in which we are serving our internal projects with various kinds of test labs. We get from each and every project a list of patches that must be applied on their servers only. We then create that list from the Patch Management view in the console and create one policy and tagging that policy for that specific project. I rather not create one policy per bulletin because that will be a nightmare to manage for us.

Because we are working with test environments we don’t have the possibility to apply any new patch that is released for all project, we must follow the unique patch plan for each test project. We don’t even share the same maintenance slot between the projects.

I just wanted to share our view because I guess we have a bit more nonstandard environment that makes this solution a little trickier to use.  Anyway, I will continue to see if I can make use of your great tools and at the same time I will also take a closer look at Workflow to see if we can come up with a more automatic way to create the needed policies.

Mar 11, 2016 10:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback BR /// Per-Erik :D

I am not sure where you come from with the request (why, in short, would you want to put all bulletins into a single policy?) I couldn't stop from thining "No, no, no" when I read the email notification.

The only resons why you would do that is because you're lacking the tools to manage many policies (in bulk), which is exactly what Zero Day Patch offers - albeit I'm sure some of the features are no as easy to use as everything else.

Also there are many good reasons why you shouldn't bundle too many bulletins together - scaleability being one of them and management being another.

Anyhow, I'm sure we can help with your problem, but with a different solution ;-).

Mar 11, 2016 10:03 AM

Great work!

I have just started to test it in our environment and I have a question that I hope someone could help me with. As it is now the ZeroDayPatch creates one policy per each bullentin or am I wrong? Is it possible to when running the ZeroDayPatch command to make it create all found bullentins into one policy? If so is it possible in any way to also define that policy name while running the command?

BR /// Per-Erik

Jul 21, 2015 07:06 PM

Very dissapointing of Symantec.

The ASDK has 0 support for Patch Management solution.

Why there is no simple - scripted way of adding Filters or Targets to existing Software Update Policies is beyond me..

My time could be spend better than clicking thru the Silverlight Console for hours each day.

Bad product design - not to allow this in such otherwise good Patch Management Solution.

Jul 21, 2015 07:05 AM

7.6 Solution SDK (SSDK) is avialble to Symantec partners only per a special license contract. It is not a part of ITMS/CMS/SMS bundles.

Jul 18, 2015 12:26 AM

Where can one download 7.6 SSDK Solution SDK? This should be different that ASDK..

Thanks.

May 08, 2015 10:18 PM

Great work as usual!

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.