Endpoint Protection

View Only

USB Device cleanup 

Mar 15, 2011 10:36 PM

I found this program for fixing some USB storage related problems. I got this when I cannot use my USB storage devices on the PC - nothing happens when I plug them in aside from the audible 'error' sound.

I checked the registry and searched for the USBstor and found a list of devices. There were a lot of entries in the SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet pertaining to all the USB drives I have plugged into this PC which could be conflictng. Apparently Windows keeps track of the devices you plug in. And some registry cleaners leave this one out (I used CCleaner).

The application removes all these entries so you can start fresh with your current devices. No drivers were harmed in the running of this program.

Thanks to this guy:

===

DriveCleanup V0.7 - removes non present drives from the device tree
Freeware by Uwe Sieber (c) 2007-2009

===

As always, backup your registry first and read the text file included in the zip.

Try this out before blaming some policies implemented for breaking something.

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads
Attachment(s)
zip file
drivecleanup.zip   18 KB   1 version
Uploaded - Feb 25, 2020

Tags and Keywords

Comments

Oct 16, 2012 07:21 PM

tahnks !!

Aug 30, 2012 02:18 PM

very useful tools...........

Aug 23, 2012 01:21 AM

yeah its nice.. thanx for providing

Feb 18, 2012 04:51 AM

sounds cool i ll check it..

Dec 04, 2011 08:05 PM

I got it for free. Check the readme.txt in the zip file for more info.

Cheers.

Dec 03, 2011 10:14 PM

Is it free? Thanks.

Jun 02, 2011 10:33 AM

F-Prot
scan_result
OK
Symantec
scan_result
OK
McAfee
scan_result
OK
ClamAV
scan_result
OK
Avast
scan_result
OK

Looks clean to me...yes

-Mike

Apr 20, 2011 09:48 AM

Mon, I have done this process manually for YEARS using the following method:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

and then viewing hidden devices in the Device Manager and MANUALLY deleting the old/unused drivers.

This utility knocks out a lot of the device drivers that I would normally have had to manually delete, and in one fell swoop! How easy!

Thanks for sharing it!

At some point I'll probably write a frontend GUI for DriveCleanup so that the accessing the different switches is more expediant.

All the best and thanks!

-Mike

For those who don't know about the 'trick' of deleting old/inactive device drivers...you're missing out.  Here is an MS write-up on the topic.

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.