Data Loss Prevention

View Only
  • 1.  Specifications of the Network Prevent for Web Virtual Appliance.

Posted Jun 30, 2020 03:45 AM
    Hi;

Is there a specification sheet for Network Prevent for Web Virtual Appliance. I know that the hardware appliance can support up to 230M of data throughput. However, I wanted to see what is the throughput for the virtual appliance.

Kindly
    Wasfi

• 2.  RE: Specifications of the Network Prevent for Web Virtual Appliance.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 30, 2020 05:14 PM
    Hi Wasfi,

I have not yet been able to uncover a specification sheet for Network Prevent for Web Virtual Appliance.  With that said, I would expect the performance to be similar given a similarly spec'd system, but take the following notes from the system requirements guide into consideration as it pertains to virtualized environments:
    • "Requirements for Virtual Appliances are the same as for the software server counterparts, except for virtual environment support."  Note taken from Minimum system requirements for servers.
    • "A variety of factors influence virtual machine performance, including the number of CPUs, the amount of dedicated RAM, and the resource reservations for CPU cycles and RAM. The virtualization overhead and guest operating system overhead can lead to a performance degradation in throughput for large datasets compared to a system running on physical hardware. Use your own test results as a basis for sizing deployments to virtual machines."  Virtual Server Support

Regards,
    Eric

• 3.  RE: Specifications of the Network Prevent for Web Virtual Appliance.

Posted Jun 30, 2020 05:59 PM
    Thank you for you reply Eric. Basically, I wanted to work out if more than one Network Prevent for Web was needed based on network throughput. and if only one Network Prevent for Web is needed, can you have a second one for active/active High Availability?

Kindly
    Wasfi

• 4.  RE: Specifications of the Network Prevent for Web Virtual Appliance.
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 30, 2020 07:19 PM
    Hi Wasfi,

Let me pass over a link to the Network Monitor and Prevent Performance Sizing guide document as a reference for you.  If you were considering a second network prevent for web server, I would recommend using a load balancer to distribute the traffic to the both of them.