Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

• 1.  Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Posted Dec 08, 2020 08:38 AM
    Edited by Michael Reid Dec 08, 2020 09:19 AM

I recently upgraded my Endpoint Protection 14.3 MP1 (14.3.1169.0100) to 14.3 RU1 (14.3.3384.1000) on macOS 10.15.7. Following this I saw somewhat faster boot times but my Time Machine backups to my network backup disk (NAS) started failing.

It first reported that the backup needed to start a new backup following a failed verification. I said okay, perhaps I corrupted it while installing Endpoint Protection with its new network monitor. I then did an entirely new backup and after several hours it completed. For the first backup after the initial seed it once again reported a failed verification. I then manually purged all remnants of the backup on my NAS and tried again but had the same issue with failed verifications. I plugged in an external drive and did a new backup and that was successful and took additional snapshots without error. I then tried a wired connection to the NAS but same problem resurfaced in getting a stable backup. Only after uninstalling Endpoint Protection was I able to get backups to my NAS going again.

Other observations included what seemed like higher CPU load from the 'com.broadcom.mes.systemextension' during backups on 14.3 RU1.

While I appreciate not running a kernel extension with the new 14.3 RU1, I can only conclude that there is something wrong with network-based backups with the new Symantec Endpoint Protection. I've since gone back to the previous version and backups are once again proceeding normally (along with normal levels of CPU load).

Any others have come across this scenario?

• 2.  RE: Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Posted Dec 08, 2020 09:05 AM
    Michael,

I seem to have reported exactly the same behaviour at the same time! Look at the other thread :).

A-P

• 3.  RE: Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Posted Dec 08, 2020 09:24 AM
    Hey A-P,

Yes, just saw your post. Glad to see that I'm not the only one with this issue. I do tend to believe it's something with the new network filter component (that you see in System Preferences > Network) since a backup to USB-attached storage has no issues. Hopefully they will be able to get this sorted out with a maintenance release.

Regards,
    Michael

• 4.  RE: Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Posted Dec 08, 2020 10:48 AM
    Hi,

Good to know the local backups are not affected. I will need to try this with my 2 TB Samsung X5 Thunderbolt 3 SSD. This one should finish the backups pretty fast :).

I wonder if the network backups would work if disabling the network filter.

A-P

• 5.  RE: Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Posted Dec 08, 2020 12:57 PM
    Good point! I believe that disabling the network filter is a good experiment to try and if someone wants to try it and report back that would be great. Not willing to loose all my backups again though.

• 6.  RE: Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Posted Dec 09, 2020 08:54 AM
    I tested this today and installed RU1 one more time.

I made the "SEP Network Security" Inactive from the macOS System Preferences - Network, then made an incremental Time Machine backup and after this Verify Backups. It worked fine. SEP keeps on nagging about not being protected, but that's ok in this test.

A-P

------------------------------
    Product Development Manager
    Caverion Suomi Oy
    Finland

• 7.  RE: Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Posted Dec 12, 2020 07:25 PM
    FYI: The 14.3 RU1 seems to ruin the Time Machine network backup even when the "SEP Network Security" is inactive.
    It worked for a while, but tonight had the problem again. I went back to the previous version.

Caverion Suomi Oy
    Finland

• 8.  RE: Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Posted Jan 23, 2021 09:29 AM
    With the new release of 14.3 RU1 (refresh) build 14.3.3385.1000, I didn't notice a specific mention of this issue (release notes). Does anyone know if it resolves the issue? I want to know if it's now safe for me to upgrade from 14.3 MP1 (refresh) build 14.3.1169.0100.

• 9.  RE: Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Posted Feb 10, 2021 06:24 AM
    Doesn't appear to fix the Time Machine issue at all - no change. Time Machine will still work to directly connected USB Drive, but not over wifi or ethernet.... Does anyone else have an issue with Endpoint protection also messing up internet and even network access for a Parallels Virtual Machine? Seems to block some Portscan program.  Anyone know how to add an exception rule to the latest version of the Mac Client for Endpoint Protection? Broadcom seem to think it's nothing to do with them.....

• 10.  RE: Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Posted Feb 10, 2021 08:27 AM
    Hi,

Thanks for the info. This is not very promising progress for the Mac Client of SEP :(.

FYI (sorry Broadcom) - I have been successfully using Intego Mac Internet Security X9 on my Macs for 2 months now. I have had zero issues with this product on the Macs and the Time Machine finishes the backups much faster than ever before when I was using SEP.

A-P

Caverion Suomi Oy
    Finland

• 11.  RE: Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Posted Apr 17, 2021 04:10 PM
    Just doing a quick inquiry update on this. Has anyone been able to test the new 14.3 RU1 MP1 (14.3.3580.1100) to determine if it fixes this issue? Didn't notice it in the release notes.

• 12.  RE: Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2021 08:55 PM
    Edited by ALee Apr 18, 2021 08:55 PM
    Hi Michael, this should have resolved in RU1 refresh build. The latest version of the Mac client is 14.3 RU1MP1, which I'm using with my Time machine backup.

Alan

Sr Manager, Product Management
    SEP Survey https://forms.gle/UTjw14f6Gr8VAm4N7

• 13.  RE: Time Machine backups and Symantec Endpoint 14.3 RU1

Posted Apr 21, 2021 10:50 AM
    Edited by Michael Reid Apr 21, 2021 10:51 AM
    Hi Alan,

Thanks for your response. Given that this was not in the release notes and @Ian McIntosh's comments that the 14.3 RU1 (refresh) build did not appear to fix the issue for him I am hesitant to install the latest version. If it was not fixed all my backups would be lost. Can you confirm that you are using Time Machine backup with a SMB network share and not a local drive which the community has already confirmed works fine?

Regards,
    Michael​​