Patch Management Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Feature Request: An option to enable agents to scan at random times for Windows System Assessment Scan

Posted Feb 01, 2021 03:31 PM
    Hello, hopefully put this in the right place, if not, let me know and I can submit to whom it concerns.

Our environment is heavily virtual and we struggle with breaking up the Windows System Assessment Scan on over loaded hosts, its very manual.  It would be great to have the ability to have machines randomly schedule when their next system assessment scan is rather then all of them scanning at the same time.

Yes in general, this scan completes quickly but if you have a loaded host and then have this scan kick off on all vms, it has caused significant impacts to business critical applications.

Thanks for the read, so far features have been great with the past two RUs, keep it coming!

• 2.  RE: Feature Request: An option to enable agents to scan at random times for Windows System Assessment Scan

Posted Feb 01, 2021 03:42 PM
    What if you controlled when the System Assessment Scan ran?
    Create filters for your virtual devices based on naming convention, OU, IP range...  Then clone the System Assessment Scan and target the filters you created to run at the times you specify.

Eric W.

• 3.  RE: Feature Request: An option to enable agents to scan at random times for Windows System Assessment Scan

Posted Feb 01, 2021 04:13 PM
    Eric,

That's what were doing currently and in my opinion is a Band-Aid.  There should be a better way of having the scans randomize, this should be standard on any application that scans moving forward.  Every AV, even Altiris Inventory has the ability to do this in some fashion, although inventory would benefit greatly by this particular request as well.  No matter the manual process, you still have the possibility of heavy hitting VMs overload a host especially if multiple VMs are running at the exact same time.  Now if you introduce even a slight fragmentation in that time schedule, the load is spread out exponentially.