Endpoint Protection

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

(solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

• 1.  (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 24, 2017 05:06 AM

Well i tryed all, clean wipe for endpoint protection, clean manually registry, use the command sdc and others, try to uninstall with powershell, revo uninstaller and all i found and the update still say i need to uninstall Symantec endpoint protection. And really i uninstalled it long time ago, i don't remember which version i used but i clean all. Any Ideas?

*EDIT*

the solution was:

Windows 10 setup for build 1709, has a built-in file compatibility scanner, that scans all local drives, it found on my D drive
    An old download folder where I have extracted the setup files for ghost9 & SEP 12.1.1, this is an old folder I forgot that exist.
    They were never installed on my PC, but for windows 10 setup compatibility checker it was enough to preset them as if the software was installed And ask to remove them.

Tracking was hard, I had to cross reference two files C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log & C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\_APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml
    In the first you find what files triggered the application compatibility error and on the second you get the location where the file was found!

This is nuts! , I have deleted the folders, and problem solved!

Case closed.

Oren

• 2.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 24, 2017 07:55 PM
    What version of SEP are you removing? Make sure it's the latest version of cleanwipe and try running again.

• 3.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 25, 2017 10:24 AM

im not sure, i don't remember when i installed the SEP, i don't use antivirus, maybe i installed it time ago to test something and unninstaled and yes i used the last version of cleanwipe.

• 4.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 25, 2017 10:31 AM

Go thru the manual uinstall:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH96924

• 5.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 25, 2017 11:29 AM

i said i did it in the first message, that is why i come to the forum.

• 6.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 25, 2017 11:41 AM

Either manual removal or cleanwipe are really only the two ways to go. There may be some remnant left over in C:\Program Files or C:\ProgramData which you can check. Outside of that it's a complete manual inspection for anything leftover. Painful I know.

• 7.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 25, 2017 11:59 AM

yes later of the manual clean i scanned all my pc searching symantec and EndPoint and deleted 2 folders more and nothing :/ is unbelievable

• 8.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 25, 2017 12:01 PM

Could be something left in the registry as well.

• 9.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 25, 2017 12:28 PM

i think that but post manual clean, i scanned the symantec too in the registry and nothing :/ is really hard found the where is the problem

• 10.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 26, 2017 10:51 AM

I am also having this problem, trying to upgrade to 1709 Fall Creators Update.  I had SEP 12.1.6 RU6 MP5, installed as an unmanaged client, which is running on Windows 10, release 1703.  I ran through the conventional SEP and LiveUpdate uninstall in Add/Remove Programs.  When that didn't work, I then used cleanwipe multiple times.  I rebooted multiple times.  The 1709 windows update still says I have to remove Symantec Endpoint Protection in order to continue the 1709 installation.

• 11.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 26, 2017 12:39 PM

I just found this thread that may be helpful: https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29063538/Windows-10-1709-Upgrade-error-0xC1900209.html.  I haven't looked into it yet to solve my problem.  Two useful things here: First, the Windows 10 installation apparently looks everywhere on every drive for indications of SEP or it's installation setup files, even if it was never installed.  Second, the guy had a really clever way of identifying and locating the files that were causing his problem.

• 12.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 26, 2017 12:44 PM

The fact that cleanwipe has not taken care of this is confusing to me. It's always removed everything related to SEP  in my experience, Cleanwipe 14.0.1 is the latest version.

It's downloadable from here:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO124983

• 13.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 26, 2017 01:08 PM

I just found this thread that may be helpful: https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29063538/Windows-10-1709-Upgrade-error-0xC1900209.html.  I haven't looked into it yet to solve my problem.  Two useful things here: First, the Windows 10 installation apparently looks everywhere on every drive for indications of SEP or it's installation setup files, even if it was never installed.  Second, the guy had a really clever way of identifying and locating the files that were causing his problem.

• 14.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 26, 2017 06:59 PM

like getitset said, that worked for me yeay!! i deleted all symantec setup in my pc.

Author Comment

by:oren9991

ID: 42344810

8h
    Windows 10 setup for build 1709, has a built-in file compatibility scanner, that scans all local drives, it found on my D drive
    An old download folder where I have extracted the setup files for ghost9 & SEP 12.1.1, this is an old folder I forgot that exist.
    They were never installed on my PC, but for windows 10 setup compatibility checker it was enough to preset them as if the software was installed And ask to remove them.

Tracking was hard, I had to cross reference two files C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setupact.log & C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\_APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml
    In the first you find what files triggered the application compatibility error and on the second you get the location where the file was found!

This is nuts! , I have deleted the folders, and problem solved!

Case closed.

Oren

• 15.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Oct 27, 2017 12:17 PM

I wanted to chime in also - I got a chance to work this problem on my computer.  I just did a search for "Symantec" on my C: drive.  "SEP" would have been next, but I never got that far.  I found at least 3 setups for older SEP installations.  As I successively eliminated them, I kept clicking the "Refresh" button on the Windows 10 dialog box (the one that told me the 1709 installation couldn't continue without uninstalling SEP).  Originally, the dialog showed 4 messages about removing SEP.  Then as I removed the setup files, it decreased to 2, and then the dialog box disappeared entirely and the 1709 Fall Creators Edition setup finally continued on and completed successfully.  I never had to go through the grueling file comparison that Oren did in the other forum.

BTW, sorry about the double post.  When I was refreshing the forum page yesterday, it kept looking like my first post wasn't showing up.

• 16.  RE: (solved) Windows 10 1709 can't update and clean wipe can't full remove endpoint protection

Posted Nov 14, 2017 09:31 AM

So is Symantec's only answer to clean wipe 800 computer so we can do the update to 1709?

Or Uninstall SEP  to install KB4016871 & 40121573 so we don't have to unistall SEP to get update 1709?

Un-acceptable

Running SEP 14.0.1904