Deployment Solution

Expand all | Collapse all

More Debug/Diag Info in WinPE environment?

• 1.  More Debug/Diag Info in WinPE environment?

Posted 11-08-2010 08:45 AM

Hi,

I know this is an enhancement but it would be TERRIFIC is more progress info were made available within WinPE as standard. I was thinking something along the lines of a small app which would give a visual tick box for each of the milestones within  WinPE as it proceeds through it's boot process. This would give us an idea of there to head when it appears that WinPE is doing nothing.

As an the type of thing I'm talking about take the embedded bootworks installer -this gives nice tick boxes as it prepares the disk and installs the embedded bootworks partition.

So for WinPE we'd the milestones being for example,

1. Network Drivers Loaded (with indication of what ones?)
    2. IP address configured with visual confirmation of IP -static/dynamic and warning if duplicate
    3. Disk Configuration (confirmation of mass-storage support being loaded)
    4. Agent Loaded
    5. Agent/Subagent server Contact status  

This would give people a good indication of where problems lie with the plethora of issues you can have with WinPE. Invaluable!!

Kind Regards,

Ian./

• 2.  RE: More Debug/Diag Info in WinPE environment?

Posted 11-08-2010 11:49 AM

How hard that would be to build...  Do you know how to build it?  I'll ask around and see.  We probably couldn't get this into a near release "officially" but then again, if you've used RAAD, you know that we can get things like this onto the forums and such.  :D

Thoughts?

• 3.  RE: More Debug/Diag Info in WinPE environment?

Posted 11-08-2010 01:09 PM

Hi Thomas,

Coming from the point of view of someone who can't change the core functionality, I was thinking of calling an asynchronous process which would be called in the first script executed in WinPE which would move through various phases of monitoring described above.

Until each phase got a nice 'pass' sticker, it would not move on to the next. For example, in some of my software install wrappers I move through various phases and reflect this in the GUI, only exiting after the install has *really* completed (rather than just the initial process exiting which is not always the same thing).

So, 'Phase one' would wait for a network driver to be loaded, and present the device entry. 'Phase two' would then wait for IP address configuration to complete, presenting output. Phase three would wait for the agent process to be seen, and then monitor the log files/registry for entries which basically say "Yay!! All working". Same then for task agent.

I could hack together some starter code....? Got a lot of train commute time this week..

• 4.  RE: More Debug/Diag Info in WinPE environment?

Posted 11-08-2010 06:15 PM

I like it. I've taken it down as an enhancement request. Keep them coming. WinPE is one of those areas where you just tend to wait. More feedback here would be a great thing as to what's happening.

• 5.  RE: More Debug/Diag Info in WinPE environment?

Posted 11-09-2010 09:08 AM

That makes sense.  I've done simple "watching" tools via VBS, but I'm not sure I'd know what to look for here... though... it is a network stack.....

I think I'll ping a dev buddy of mine and see what they think as well.  Maybe a few of us around here can put something together.  Who knows?