Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  SEPM Console Timeout

Posted Dec 16, 2021 10:34 AM
    Hey everyone!

I'm sure that this has been discussed before, but I can't find a way to search the community forum for previous threads. So, sorry about creating a new thread on this topic!

Is there a way to change the SEPM console timeout to either "never" or something longer than 1 hour? I'm getting very frustrated that even when working in the console, once it hits 1 hour of it being open, it immediately logs me out and presents the login prompt.

I am doing a large migration project right now and need to be in the console all day long. Why would the console be limited to a max of ONLY 1 hour?! I'm pretty sure that the option of "never" used to exist, maybe several versions ago, but I don't understand why it would be limited to 1 hour, especially since we are administrators of SEPM?

We have been running SEPM 14 since it was released, upgraded from 12. Currently sitting at 14.3 RU2 Build 4615.

Does anyone know if a hack or way to change it to something longer, preferably "never"?

Thank you!

Larry

• 2.  RE: SEPM Console Timeout

Posted Dec 16, 2021 10:37 AM
    be happy to have online 14.3 RU2 Build 4615 console. on 14.3 RU3 sometimes the login prompt is presented after a view minutes again and not after 1 hour

• 3.  RE: SEPM Console Timeout

Posted Jan 27, 2022 02:56 PM
    Did you ever get an answer for this? The same thing is happening to me. Very annoying.

• 4.  RE: SEPM Console Timeout

Posted Jan 27, 2022 03:05 PM
    Only received the 1 reply from UCLAT. We have not upgraded any further than 14.3 RU2 and probably won't with all the other issues it has, including the timeout of every few minutes that UCLAT mentioned.

I hate it. I'm in SEPM all day long and can be literally working on something and it kicks me out right in the middle of what I'm doing. They need to include the option of "Never", or at least something much longer like 8 hours.

• 5.  RE: SEPM Console Timeout

Posted Jan 27, 2022 03:48 PM
    Ok thanks.   I submitted a ticket to see if they can offer any suggestions.  I agree that it is very inconvenient and annoying.  We monitor this all day long and I certainly don't have the time to keep logging it in every hour.  In more searching that I've done, it was suggested to request this by requesting a product enhancement.  I couldn't figure out how to do this now that it is under Broadcom, so I just submitted the ticket.  I'm not really expecting much help though.

• 6.  RE: SEPM Console Timeout

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 27, 2022 04:06 PM
    Are any of you getting security alert emails when you get logged out?

------------------------------
    John Owens
    Strategic Support Engineer | Symantec Endpoint Security Division (SES)
    Broadcom Software

• 7.  RE: SEPM Console Timeout

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 27, 2022 04:07 PM
    1 hour is currently the longest length of time. A case can be opened and a feature request can be suggested to have a longer time added.

John Owens
    Strategic Support Engineer | Symantec Endpoint Security Division (SES)
    Broadcom Software

• 8.  RE: SEPM Console Timeout

Posted Jan 28, 2022 08:07 AM
    That is correct.  Broadcom called me yesterday and in this build, 1 hour timeout is the longest length of time that it will stay logged in.  They did submit a feature request for me for the next build.  They said if enough people request it, then it will be considered. 

I was told they had many complaints on this feature that people wanted shorter timeout for security reasons, so that's why it was limited to 1 hour.  This just doesn't make sense to me because if someone wanted a shorter time, then the options are already there and have been there, so just choose a shorter time from the list.  It was those of use that wanted the longer timeout who were inconvenienced.

• 9.  RE: SEPM Console Timeout

Posted Jan 31, 2022 11:33 AM
    I agree with having the option to select a longer time out period, as needed. You may add me to the list for adding a longer time out period.