Patch Management Solution

View Only
  • 1.  Firefox Updates Disabled by Your System Administrator

Posted Apr 27, 2021 05:22 PM
    A user with 2 PCs mentioned that he could update Firefox on one computer but not on the other where going to Help>About Firefox shows "Updates disabled by your system administrator".  We haven't implemented any Firefox policies in the domain where the only pattern I've come across thus far is that on the affected workstations, Altiris pushes out the Firefox updates via Patch Management Solution whereas the unaffected ones aren't being managed by Altiris.  Also, on the affected PCs, About:Policies in Firefox shows DisableAppUpdate as 'true' so something other than a GPO introduced this policy.

I've been pushing out Firefox updates via Altiris for awhile now so believe this issue crept in fairly recently or we just didn't notice it.  Is this a known issue with the Firefox updates that are deployed via Patch Management Solution nowadays?  Furthermore, if I wish to remove this unexpected Firefox policy site wide, what's the easiest way to do so (guessing maybe a registry hack via Software Management as I don't want to touch AD)?

------------------------------
    Systems Analyst
    City & County of Honolulu

• 2.  RE: Firefox Updates Disabled by Your System Administrator

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 28, 2021 11:15 AM
    Edited by Dmitri Gornev Apr 28, 2021 11:15 AM
    Hi Clint,

I had a look at Firefox installation scripts and confirmed that they indeed include configuration of Firefox to prevent autoupdate.
    If you need to be able to update Firefox manually on specific system(s) you can delete the following registry key:

After deleting it it's possible to update Firefox manually:

Thanks,
    Dmitri.

• 3.  RE: Firefox Updates Disabled by Your System Administrator

Posted Apr 28, 2021 02:07 PM
    Hi Dmitri,

I tried just deleting the DisableAppUpdate value which seems to hold after a reboot.  However, regardless of which value or key you end up deleting in the registry, will this policy to prevent auto updates be reinstated the next time another Firefox update is pushed out?  If so then kind of no use doing this registry hack at all for managed clients with Firefox.  Curious why the Firefox installation scripts now impose this policy unexpectedly whereas something like, say, Chrome doesn't appear to do the same.

Clint

Systems Analyst
    City & County of Honolulu