Messaging Gateway

Expand all | Collapse all

Messages are aborted when trying to send outbound email with over 52 recipients

• 1.  Messages are aborted when trying to send outbound email with over 52 recipients

Posted 09-16-2020 12:40 PM
    Having the below known issue. Open a ticket, support is not replying. How can I fix this issue. Can any one share the patch or the required steps. We are suffering.

Messages are aborted when trying to send outbound email with over 52 recipients

Thanks in advance. 

------------------------------
    Symantec Enthusiast

• 2.  RE: Messages are aborted when trying to send outbound email with over 52 recipients

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 09-16-2020 01:42 PM
    The patch/fix that is available, removes PIPELINING from the EHLO response (on the assumption that the sending MTA will properly look at the response and not request to use features that aren't advertized).
    Can you confirm that this only occurs when the sending MTA is using the PIPELINING feature of the SMTP protocol?

In any event, I suggest you contact support again and request the case be escalated.

• 3.  RE: Messages are aborted when trying to send outbound email with over 52 recipients

Posted 09-16-2020 03:14 PM
    Hi tpa. Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it. We are running SMG10.7.1. We run into this issue when one of our user try to send an email outside to around 100 recipients. 

We have exchange 2013 which is sending it to SMG. How can I check on exchange whether pipeling is enabled or not?

Already opened ticket but no one contacted us.

Symantec Enthusiast

• 4.  RE: Messages are aborted when trying to send outbound email with over 52 recipients

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 09-16-2020 05:56 PM
    I don't know if you need special log level settings to view the SMTP conversation from within Exchange.
    I'm not really all that "Exchange literate". 

IF you took a pcap of the conversation, what you would see is that multiple SMTP verbs smashed into a single transmission from Exchange to the SMG.
    (just a contrived example don't hold me to it literally)
    Exchange -> SMG
      MAIL FROM:   me@exchange.com
      RCPT TO:  somebody@smgland.com
      RCPT TO:  somoebodyelse@smgland.com
      RCPT TO:  yetanotherrecipient@smgland.com
    ...blah, blah, blah...
    Exchange <-  SMG response

As opposed to:
    Exchange -> SMG
      "MAIL FROM:  me@exchange.com" -> SMG
    Exchange <- SMG response

Exchange -> SMG
      RCPT TO:  somebody@smgland.com
    Exchange <- SMG response
    ...etc, etc, etc...

Of course taking a pcap is a bit of a sledge hammer approach, I have to assume (hope?)  MS provides an easier way to check the setting on your edge/transmission transport.  Perhaps someone more expert at provisioning Exchange servers will chime in.