Ghost Solution Suite

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Error in restoring the ghost image

• 1.  Error in restoring the ghost image

Posted Oct 25, 2019 11:43 AM

I am working on creating a Ghost image of Windows 10. I am using stand alone version of norton ghost 3.3 which is the latest one from norton. Along with WINPE10. My PC is configured to boot in UEFI only mode.. I am creating image in following way: in winpe mode -->disk --> to image --> source is O.S drive --> destination --> Usb --> create Image restoration is done in following way --> winpe mode --> disk --> from image --> src=usb --> DST=drive 1. Image gets restored successfully. When I boot the target machine I get a blue screen error saying "your PC needs to be repaired". I am not sure what is wrong in this procedure. Also both the source and target machine are identical machine.. I am stuck at this phase. Could someone please help me to resolve this..

• 2.  RE: Error in restoring the ghost image

Posted Oct 28, 2019 01:19 PM

In case you need to call into support Norton ghost is no more  You are using Ghost Standard Tools 3.3 most likely if you call in and say you are using norton it will ge rough getting to the proper team.    

Are you selecting the OS drive #1 or are you selecting OS "volumes" drive #80  I am Just makeing sure as os volumes will include all drives in a system including the USB drive and be problematic. 

Also are both systems set as UEFI boot only.   I know you said that is was but I just want to make sure of 4 things.    It is so common to have one of the following not be set as uefi and then failures arise. 

• That the source windows OS is set up as UEFI. 
    • When you boot the source system to USB to create the image it is UEFI
    • When you boot the destination system to USB to restore the image it is in UEFI
    • When you boot the restored system to windows it is also cofigured to boot to the HDD as UEFI. 

Make sure both systems have the latest firmware/bios installed.   

Thanks for the clarifications. 

• 3.  RE: Error in restoring the ghost image

Posted Oct 29, 2019 01:29 AM

Thank you for taking to reply:

To answer you questions:

1) I am taking image of Drive 1 (O.S deive for sure) and not the OS olumes. 

2) Bo the systems are set to UEFI boot only ( tried on same machine as well without changing any settings). Also tried by disabling CSM configuration. 

3) i have made sure that for the 4 things you have mentioned the BIOS setting was in UEFI mode.

4) both the machine have the same firmware.

Is there anything i need to verify to make this work. 

Need help to resolve this at the earliest pelase help.

• 4.  RE: Error in restoring the ghost image

Posted Oct 29, 2019 02:51 AM

New Update on this Issue:

After restoring the image, In WINPE mode I gave the following command:

W:\Windows\System32\bcdboot W:\Windows /s S:

Where "W: is my Widows Drive and "S" is my System drive/Boot drive which is 99mb and Fat32.

The system boots properly but shows dual O.S (Both windows). out of these only 1 works. This works because of the above command.

I dont't want to follow this way. I want the O.S to boot after ghost image restoration. 

I am assuming that the norton ghost is not restoring the system partition correctly. 

Could some please help me with this.

• 5.  RE: Error in restoring the ghost image

Posted Sep 13, 2020 11:51 PM
    I have this same issue. Did you ever find a solution?
    HP Elitebook 800 G5 (2004 image)
    I sysprep, create the image to the Ghost Solution Suite Console - It creates it successfully.
    I exit, and just test the sysprep and it goes through fine.
    I restore from the image I created and the partitions look normal, and it processes 100%, I close and restart and get a blue screen right away.

I did the same thing on a HP Elitebook G6 (different NVM drive) and it works fine. Big question mark here. 
    On this same troublesome unit i can restore 1809 windows images completely fine using the same suite.

• 6.  RE: Error in restoring the ghost image

Posted Nov 06, 2019 11:30 PM

Interesting.   Do make sure you are using the 3.3 RU3 versoin.   you mentioned before you were on 3.3 latest but didn't note if it was RU3.    I haven't been able to reproduce this kind of behavior unfortunatly.   Ghost should set the proper partition as active when every thing is working correctly.    

I will keep an eye out and if I hear of any thing will let you know. 

• 7.  RE: Error in restoring the ghost image

Posted Jul 05, 2020 04:25 AM
    i have the same issue after restoring image using ghost 3.3 RU3 version 695 and above bcd files from the efi partition are not transfferd correctly and get error 0x0c00001 efi missing and have use dart tools to repair bcd files but when using ghost 3.2 RU7 this issue doesnt occur.

------------------------------
    dorcom

• 8.  RE: Error in restoring the ghost image

Posted Sep 13, 2020 11:48 PM

I'm having this same issue trying to make a windows 10-2004 image. Works fine with 1809/1909. I was able to successfully make it work on Windows 10-2004 using another model of laptop so the process isn't the issue.
    Successful- HP Elitebook 800-G6 (Intel NVM Drive)

Not Successful - HP Elitebook 800 -G5 (it has a Samsung M2 Drive)

I prep my machine using syprep/shutdown command. I then use Ghost Solution Suite Console (Version 3.3) to create the image successfully.

I test the sysprep on the machine which works perfectly. I then test the image to wipe, restore with GSS, and i get a blue screen as soon as i restart.

I can see its creating the partition tables correctly so i'm not really sure. Seems to be HW specific for me, but i'd like to know if anyone has a solution.

Error code i get is Recovery: Your PC/Device needs to be repaired A required device isn't connected or cant be accessed
    Error code 0xc000000e

Recovery tools blah blah blah.

Later down the road this year we may use another suite to create images (SCCM, intune packages) but I can't seem to put my finger on why this fail when it worked on a different model.

Cheers,

Nicholas

• 9.  RE: Error in restoring the ghost image

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 14, 2020 12:16 PM
    Do you know if the G5 is using a Sata based M2 drive, rather than an PCIe NVMe M2 drive? I can see how you would get a 'Device cannot be accessed' error when you try to deploy an image captured on a device type that differs from the destination as the deployed OS might not be expecting a SATA interface.

What are the exact models of the two drives?

Also, I have some older machines that even trying to load into the 20H1 based WinPE (or deployed 20H1 images, or using an ISO/USB to install manually) will give me a blinking cursor on boot, yet 1909 and prior work just fine. Something definitely changed in the OS. I do not think my blinking cursor issue and the above bluescreen issues are related though.

Also, be sure to be on GSS 3.3 RU4, as it added official support for 20H1.

• 10.  RE: Error in restoring the ghost image

Posted Sep 15, 2020 12:15 AM
    only version 589 created with adk 1709 works fine i can deploy any version of windows 10 without problems.

dorcom