Control Compliance Suite

View Only
  • 1.  CCS Installation on Unix Logs

Posted Jun 09, 2020 05:09 AM
    Hi Symantec Community,

I am currently having an installation failure during CCS agent 12.5.
    We are having 2 CCS Manager which listening port 5600 & 5601, tested by telnet. let's say CCS A & CCS B.

However, during installation of Agent, I was informed to install connected to CCS A. Using the credential I received, I install to CCS A, but the installation failed with in correct password. but when I install to CCS B, it works.

I'm new with CCS deployment. Can any one share the deployment guide of CCS? I will need to understand for further troubleshooting.
    why there are 2 CCS Manager, with 2 different ESM password? I thought because it is HA, it will have exact same password.

Below is the guide I use
    https://help.symantec.com/cs/ccs12.0/CCS12_0/v122991741_v120691527/Installing-CCS-agent-on-UNIX?locale=EN_US

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Raymond

• 2.  RE: CCS Installation on Unix Logs

Posted Jun 15, 2020 04:44 AM
    Edited by Vladx Jun 15, 2020 04:50 AM
    Hi Raymond,
    CCS Managers are independent standalone components, usually you put more than one when you need to spread the load or you have some separate network that is behind FW (DMZ for example). As for the ESM password, that is feature from the legacy Message Based data Collection (MBC), newer Raw Based data Collection (RBC) does not require password any more, however if you have CCS Manager that supports both modes, you can still use legacy MBC mode (see step 9 in the link you prírodovied) for which then you have to provide ESM password.
    As you did not specify if you're still using legacy MBC or newer RBC mode, it's difficult to give you right advice. If you're not using MBC, then I would suggest you to type 'n' in the step 9. You can register agent also via command line without using MBC like this: /esm/bin/lnx-x64/register -r -v -m <CCS_Manager> -p 5600 -t -N <Agent_FQDN> -E -u

If you do use MBC, I would recommend you migrate to RBC, but until then you need to enable MBC on second CCS Manager and set-up ESM password. 
    Check following link for good-old planning and deployment guide where you can find CCS architecture explained and lot more:
    https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/symantec-security-software/information-security/control-compliance-suite/12-x/Related-Documents.html

Hope this info will help you.

Regards,
    Vlax

Original Message:
    Sent: 06-09-2020 05:03 AM
    Subject: CCS Installation on Unix Logs

Hi Symantec Community,

I am currently having an installation failure during CCS agent 12.5.
    We are having 2 CCS Manager which listening port 5600 & 5601, tested by telnet. let's say CCS A & CCS B.

However, during installation of Agent, I was informed to install connected to CCS A. Using the credential I received, I install to CCS A, but the installation failed with in correct password. but when I install to CCS B, it works.

I'm new with CCS deployment. Can any one share the deployment guide of CCS? I will need to understand for further troubleshooting.
    why there are 2 CCS Manager, with 2 different ESM password? I thought because it is HA, it will have exact same password.

Below is the guide I use
    https://help.symantec.com/cs/ccs12.0/CCS12_0/v122991741_v120691527/Installing-CCS-agent-on-UNIX?locale=EN_US

Thanks!
    Regards,
    Raymond

• 3.  RE: CCS Installation on Unix Logs

Posted Jun 16, 2020 01:12 AM
    Hi Vladx,

Thanks a lot for your explanation. The problem I have right now, we are having an agent installation, and have no idea about how exactly it is deployed.

As you said, it appears we are using MBC. 
    The link you share is really what I need. 
    To learn about CCS, is it possible to have a trial version for lab setup?

Thanks, Vlad!

Best Regards,
    Raymond

• 4.  RE: CCS Installation on Unix Logs

Posted Jun 16, 2020 02:21 AM
    Hi Raymond,
    if you have Broadcom support, you can download CCS install binaries and ask them for trial license. This was working back in a day when this was under Symantec, now lot of things have changed and not sure if they still provide trial license. 
    There are also some courses under Training and Education at https://support.broadcom.com/security, but you need access to the Broadcom support.

------------------------------
    Regards,
    Vladx
    ------------------------------