Deployment Solution

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Keep PC name after automation imaging

• 1.  Keep PC name after automation imaging

Posted Oct 28, 2021 02:58 PM
    I want to have techs start using automation imaging again the issue I am running into is the pc is setting itself to a random name after imaging is done, I swear this use not be an issue when we used automation. I have a tried this in the answer file

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
    <TimeZone>Central Standard Time</TimeZone>
    <ComputerName>%COMPNAME%</ComputerName>
    <ProductKey>@license</ProductKey>
    <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile>

In the answer file it would keep the name from altiris, I also tried removing that from the answer file but same thing, random name which means it ends up in our staging OU.

At some point it kept that name so any idea how to fix this? Win 10 1909, maybe I was doing something with a token but just recall it working without any name issues

• 2.  RE: Keep PC name after automation imaging

Posted Oct 29, 2021 09:42 AM
    I have also tried ComputerID, Compname with @ nothing works. ​​

• 3.  RE: Keep PC name after automation imaging

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 01, 2021 05:41 AM
    How this random name looks like? dsXXXXXXXXXXXX ?

• 4.  RE: Keep PC name after automation imaging

Posted Nov 01, 2021 06:51 AM
    Win-xxxxxxxxxx

---
    Sent from Workspace ONE Boxer

• 5.  RE: Keep PC name after automation imaging

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 01, 2021 07:00 AM
    This looks like name generated by Windows setup itself. Deployment Solution generates dsxxxxxx names.

• 6.  RE: Keep PC name after automation imaging

Posted Nov 01, 2021 07:06 AM
    Correct it seems to be the answer file doing it, I had older answer files where I had removed the name section part just for automation but tried that and still not going,  is there steps to follow that will allow the name  to stay the same for the device. These are all in altiris and not new devices they would imaging with automation. 

---

• 7.  RE: Keep PC name after automation imaging

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 02, 2021 03:50 AM
    Are you deploying the image to the same machine where image was taken?
    If yes then it looks like the issue appears for Windows version 1803 and above.
    Unfortunately there is no fix in the code. Could you try deploying the image to some other machine and see what will happen?

• 8.  RE: Keep PC name after automation imaging

Posted Nov 02, 2021 03:59 AM
    No this is a different machine, using our normal gold image. I had hoped we could have the whole process automated in the cases where the pc name would not be changing so the tech could just send the automation job and since the name was the same it would still be in all the same filters etc. makes sense about this changing with 1803, thinking the last time I had them using automation was with 1709 maybe. 

---

• 9.  RE: Keep PC name after automation imaging

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2021 04:33 AM
    The internal testing showed that the problem exist on 1809 but does not on 20H2 .

• 10.  RE: Keep PC name after automation imaging

Posted Nov 04, 2021 06:55 AM
    What did you use in the computer name field in the answer file? Did you remove it or did you have compname?

---

• 11.  RE: Keep PC name after automation imaging

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 04, 2021 07:55 AM

you have to have 
    <ComputerName>@compName</ComputerName>
    in answer file in the task

• 12.  RE: Keep PC name after automation imaging

Posted Nov 18, 2021 04:24 PM

Good news, tested with 21h2 and the devices keep their name again