ProxySG & Advanced Secure Gateway

View Only
  • 1.  Blue Coat ProxySG 510 can not power up

Posted Dec 01, 2020 02:21 PM
    Hi all, my Blue Coat ProxySG 510 can not boot with Power Led is amber, have tried below suggestion but no luck.
    Is there anyone can help me re-install a fresh OS onto these HDDs?
    https://knowledge.broadcom.com/external/article/166731/my-proxysg-appliance-is-down-the-power-l.html
    Thanks in advance,

• 2.  RE: Blue Coat ProxySG 510 can not power up

Posted Dec 01, 2020 02:52 PM
    Hello Alex,

You can't just re-insall the OS on a ProxySG, the amber power light indicates the device is no longer configured but you don't mention the status of the disk LED's. You would need to connect to the console port to see what is happening locally.

The SG-510 series was end of life several years ago.

Regards
    Paul

• 3.  RE: Blue Coat ProxySG 510 can not power up

Posted Dec 02, 2020 06:35 PM
    Hi Paul, both HDD leds were green. Is there anyway to get it back working?
    Thank you

• 4.  RE: Blue Coat ProxySG 510 can not power up

Posted Dec 03, 2020 06:55 AM
    Hi Alex,

As mentioned, you will need to connect a laptop directly to console port with a null modem cable to see the status, chance are it has lost its config in which case you will see the setup screen.

Regards
    Paul

• 5.  RE: Blue Coat ProxySG 510 can not power up

Posted Dec 03, 2020 04:55 PM
    Hi Paul, I have tried to connect to its console port, but there is nothing show from console port (using a null modem cable which was tested working ok with another ProxySG510 unit)
    I also tried to using only HDD 2 to test but no success.
    So the problem is not caused by the configuration. Maybe some thing wrong with the OS
    Any idea please? thank you

• 6.  RE: Blue Coat ProxySG 510 can not power up

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 03, 2020 01:21 PM
    Hello Alex, 

As Mr Paul suggested the only way to find out what is going on is to connect to the device via the console cable (null modem) and you will need a USB to Serial converter unless you have an old laptop that has a COM port (null modem DB9).
    Remembering way back when these devices were still under support Paul is right these devices had the tendency to lose their config , in case of the power failure or restart of or if some one had pulled the power plug , or they would just crash if they have been running of a long time and as a result the OS would get corrupted and the device would get stuck in the reboot loop etc.
    To find out you do need that direct console connection and monitor what happens during the boot process etc.

Slava

• 7.  RE: Blue Coat ProxySG 510 can not power up

Posted Dec 03, 2020 04:58 PM
    Hi Slava, as I replied in the previous message, I have tried connect to its console port (using a null modem DB9 cable) but there was nothing showed from the console. Any idea please?
    Thank you

• 8.  RE: Blue Coat ProxySG 510 can not power up

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 03, 2020 05:02 PM
    Hi Alex, 

Sorry i missed that, you wont see anything in the console if its stuck.
    Did you try to power cycle the device while you had the console connection to watch the boot process?
    If you power cycle it and and you still don't see anything then perhaps the board is fried.

Slava

• 9.  RE: Blue Coat ProxySG 510 can not power up

Posted Dec 03, 2020 05:24 PM
    Hi Slava, yes I did power cycle, and the power led is amber, both HDD leds are green but nothing showed form console port.
    I suspect the OS was corrupted thus would like to ask if there is anyway to re-install the OS
    Thanks

• 10.  RE: Blue Coat ProxySG 510 can not power up

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 04, 2020 11:50 AM
    Hello Alex, 

I am sorry to be the one to deliver this bad news, but that proxy is done for and there is nothing no one can do at this time and here is why.

1. The Power Amber Light indicates no OS , on the older platforms the like 510 and even 300 the OS was preinstalled and running from the HDD them self, in the case the OS gets corrupted or encounters and issue and the would not boot, the solution was always to RMA the entire device as there is no other fix.
    2. If you power cycle the unit while while connected console cable and not showing any outputs , this means that there is an issue on the Hardware side , could be RAM, could be something on the Main Board. The solution in the past was an RMA, there is no field fix kit.

There is only one thing that can be done that brings a spark of hope is:
    • Unplug the Power.
    • Open the unit top cover.
    • Reseat the Power Supply.
    • Reseat the RAM stick
    • Reseat the HDDs
    • Put Everything back together.
    • Connect open an Console Connection
    • Power ON the unit.

If the above did not do anything, then you can try to get a new similar RAM stick/s and and replace the old one, in some similar cases the root cause was the RAM.

Here is some light indications meanings:

But if none of above does anything then "Game Over"

I hope this helps.
    Slava