Endpoint Protection

View Only
  • 1.  A hardware change to the client computer has been detected

Posted Dec 02, 2019 04:43 PM

I've gotten more of these email alerts recently.  Not a huge amount, just handful, but I haven't gotten many or any in the past I think.  I googled a bit but I'm not finding anything interesting.  

For the alerts I've gotten recently, three have been on virtual machines.  For my VMs, settings are static, so the VMs don't change their hardware, MAC address, etc. that I'm aware of.  A few more physical machines popped up with these hardware change alerts.

Any ideas on what they could be?  Or can you point me to the log location (is that in the SEPM manager or the client machine's windows system event log?)?

• 2.  RE: A hardware change to the client computer has been detected

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 02, 2019 05:04 PM

Are you using location awareness?

• 3.  RE: A hardware change to the client computer has been detected
    Best Answer

Trusted Advisor
    Posted Dec 03, 2019 05:09 AM

Hello,

These could be related to small changes like disabling NIC; this might happen when clients switch locations...

Hope that helps!!

• 4.  RE: A hardware change to the client computer has been detected

Posted Dec 03, 2019 11:26 AM

I don't know what that is.  How can I check?  

I saw another post mentioning that, checked logs on SEPM and the Windows OS event log on one machine that did this (a VM).  Nothing was standing out, but I wasn't sure what I was looking for.

• 5.  RE: A hardware change to the client computer has been detected

Posted Dec 03, 2019 11:28 AM

For the VMs, I'm pretty sure the first two alerts where when those VMs restarted one morning.  More recently, for sure we got a hardware change alert when another VM restarted in the morning.  The restarts were planned/expected.  However, there are several VMs that get restarted like that, and we've only got a few hardware change alerts.  There were no operating system or other updates/upgrades going on at that time either.