Endpoint Encryption

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Lync call not working with Symantec WDE agent installed

• 1.  Lync call not working with Symantec WDE agent installed

Posted Jan 28, 2014 03:00 AM

Hi,

I have installed symantec WDE 10.3.1 build (13600) and facing a weird issue with Microsoft Lync wherein i am not able to make any voice/video call through Lync. as soon as the agent is installed the lync call stops working. i googled it out but no luck. Need help

Thanks,

Lalit

• 2.  RE: Lync call not working with Symantec WDE agent installed

Posted Jan 28, 2014 06:53 AM

Is the HDD actually encrypted?  It seems like they're unrelated issues but we'll see what's what.

What version of Lync?  

What OS?

This is Symantec Encryption Desktop? (version points to that fact)

You reboot after the install, and you can no longer make or receive any type of call ?

• 3.  RE: Lync call not working with Symantec WDE agent installed

Posted Jan 28, 2014 07:16 AM

Hi Alex_CST,

To ansewr your queries, it dosent matter whether the HDD is encrypted or not, as soon as the symanted WDE agent is installed lync calls stop working.

PGP agent version is 10.3.1 build (13200)

Lync - 2013

OS - Win7

hope this helps..

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: Lync call not working with Symantec WDE agent installed

Posted Jan 28, 2014 08:33 AM

The only thing I can think of is a port conflict or ports being utilised by SED that Lync needs to make/receive calls.

I know that SED can do IM encryption, but not for Lync.

Can you run netstat -aon > c:\netstat.txt on a machine with just Lync on.

Then run netstat -aon >c:\netstat2.txt on a machine with just SED on.

find the PID's that are against the Lync executables and SED executables and see if the ports are the same.

• 5.  RE: Lync call not working with Symantec WDE agent installed

Posted Jan 28, 2014 09:23 AM

Tested that, both PID's are using different ports.

Figured out the problem that the forefront UAG endpoint component is not allowing the lync video call to  succed. As soon as the Forefront UAG endpoint component is uninstalled, m able to make video call through lync.

There seems to be a compatibility issues with the Forefront UAG endpoint component v4.0.0.

Is there any solution for this?

Thanks,

Lalit

• 6.  RE: Lync call not working with Symantec WDE agent installed

Posted Jan 28, 2014 10:33 AM

I think then you're in the realms of UAG and compatibility with Lync 2013.  I know that UAG SP3 does not support Lync 2013.

• 7.  RE: Lync call not working with Symantec WDE agent installed

Posted Jan 28, 2014 05:47 PM

This sounds like an issue with the MS Forefront UAG software and not necessarily PGP WDE. But I managed to find the following article which may help you regarding an update to UAG:

See this MS KB here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2288900

• 8.  RE: Lync call not working with Symantec WDE agent installed

Posted Jan 29, 2014 04:24 AM

Thanks for input, tested the scenerio but no luck..

With the UAG component in place and no pgp agent installed, m able to make voice/video calls through lync.

The moment i install the PGP agent lync call stops working. even if the machine is not encrypted, just with the agent installed lync calls stop working.

• 9.  RE: Lync call not working with Symantec WDE agent installed

Posted Jan 30, 2014 12:23 PM

Hi, I have been told by another TSE here within Symantec that removing the LSP hook for our software appears to have solved the issue. This uses Layered Service Provider to bind itself to the Network stack on Windows. if you dont use POP/IMAP/STMP or AOL encryption with Symantec Encryption Desktop (previously PGP Desktop) you can safely disable this driver.  See the following KB on editing MSI options to remove components at install time:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO84112

In your case, to disable LSP at least you could specify something like:

"c:/path/to/msi/folder/pgpdesktop.msi /i PGP_INSTALL_LSP=0" at a run line

This will prompt you, next, next, finish through the installer and then reboot and the LSP driver is gone.

You can also run a utility which cleans up the LSP stack and have it remove our LSP driver as well.

if you use SMTP/POP/IMAP then we will probably have to investigate this problem further to find a root cause and hopefully solve the issue in a future product release :)

• 10.  RE: Lync call not working with Symantec WDE agent installed

Posted Jan 30, 2014 12:44 PM

Please note before running any type of LSPfix utility which removes LSP you disable it via MSI too. I forgot to add that in there..